Why do Sheffield people pronounce Greenhill, as "Grenill"?

WOW! I got a snide comment from one of our colonial friends in Canada;-- FAR OUT MAN! It's good to know that they respect the good old 'mother tongue' over there -- MUST IMPROVE MY SPELLING!

And 'PLAIN TALKER', you really are TOO bad. (And yor mum!)

But I too really wish to2o would answer the question regarding the -- 'CHOLMONDELEYS of the FEATHERSTONEHAUGHS!

As usual he waffled and whined his way around it, never satisfactorily answering anything as is his sweet childlike way.

You too 'JOANL' are a bit of a bad-ass on the quiet! But a bad-ass that I totally agree with; for you're right, it is most definitely better being over the hill than under it!

I also agree with your assertion that it is, 'natural to leave out the 'aitch' in Greenhill.' I bet you could have cried when 'younohoo' came back with the reply, 'Yes -- but why leave out one of the e's!!!??? It's all too reminiscent of our kids a few years ago, when a million questions would emerge like annoying mosquito's from the simplest of statements!

My mum would have said, in her delicate and profound way,- 'Way the gormy-geek!

Mr to2o urgently needs a sense of humour transfusion. (And possibly some medical help regarding removing heads from arseholes!)

And please, 'HAPPY HIPPY', don't ask for humility. Don't even ask for a logical and consistent treatment of the subject. It 'aint gonna 'appen pal!

He really believes, and has said so, that avoiding answering pertinant questions is, 'good isn't it?'

So expect no end to his feverish and unequivocal refusal to accept anything but his own ideas. -- Oh! -- Sorry must correct that, (as I see he's commissioned a worldwide poll about this) Let's say then, 'his own ideas and at LEAST 35 other peoples'!

Put down the keyboard, admit defeat, he's just, well, better than everyone else, brighter, YOUNGER and don't forget he lives in S.W.Sheff.

And yet for all that, his ravings have a strange and compelling fascination; like the way you might listen intently to the ramblings of a complete lunatic, or the way you can't help looking at the puss from a squeezed zit!

WHAT ABOUT THE CHOLMONDELEYS of the FEATHERSTONEHAUGHS? Thats what I want to know

I just hope that no one goes to the railway station and asks for a ticket to Bourn-e-mouth cos thats what it's spelt like......gawd knows where they'd finish up.:hihi:

WOW! I got a snide comment from one of our colonial friends in Canada;-- FAR OUT MAN! It's good to know that they respect the good old 'mother tongue' over there -- MUST IMPROVE MY SPELLING!

And 'PLAIN TALKER', you really are TOO bad. (And yor mum!)

But I too really wish to2o would answer the question regarding the -- 'CHOLMONDELEYS of the FEATHERSTONEHAUGHS!

As usual he waffled and whined his way around it, never satisfactorily answering anything as is his sweet childlike way.

You too 'JOANL' are a bit of a bad-ass on the quiet! But a bad-ass that I totally agree with; for you're right, it is most definitely better being over the hill than under it!

I also agree with your assertion that it is, 'natural to leave out the 'aitch' in Greenhill.' I bet you could have cried when 'younohoo' came back with the reply, 'Yes -- but why leave out one of the e's!!!??? It's all too reminiscent of our kids a few years ago, when a million questions would emerge like annoying mosquito's from the simplest of statements!

My mum would have said, in her delicate and profound way,- 'Way the gormy-geek!

Mr to2o urgently needs a sense of humour transfusion. (And possibly some medical help regarding removing heads from arseholes!)

And please, 'HAPPY HIPPY', don't ask for humility. Don't even ask for a logical and consistent treatment of the subject. It 'aint gonna 'appen pal!

He really believes, and has said so, that avoiding answering pertinant questions is, 'good isn't it?'

So expect no end to his feverish and unequivocal refusal to accept anything but his own ideas. -- Oh! -- Sorry must correct that, (as I see he's commissioned a worldwide poll about this) Let's say then, 'his own ideas and at LEAST 35 other peoples'!

Put down the keyboard, admit defeat, he's just, well, better than everyone else, brighter, YOUNGER and don't forget he lives in S.W.Sheff.

And yet for all that, his ravings have a strange and compelling fascination; like the way you might listen intently to the ramblings of a complete lunatic, or the way you can't help looking at the puss from a squeezed zit!

WHAT ABOUT THE CHOLMONDELEYS of the FEATHERSTONEHAUGHS? Thats what I want to know

I addressed the issue of pronouncing words how they are spelt. What didn't satisfy you about my explanation? Here's how we learn how to pronounce words:

a) Phonetically spell them

b) Either stand corrected, or continue to spell them out phonetically

I've never heard of the 2 places you mention - I've admitted this. Step (a) would mean I'd pronounce them as they're spelt. I suspect this would result in much amusement on your part, and me adjusting my pronunciation accordingly (so long as this pronunciation was shared by the majority of my peers with whom I converse with the most).

This is the same as with Greenhill. The first time I ever saw the place written down I just said it as it's spelt. No-one laughed or corrected me, so I assumed this is correct, and this is also how all my peers pronounce the same word. It may be different for you and some others, but judging by my poll it would seem it's me that's in the majority.

I've never heard of the 2 places you mention -
Making me smile without even pronouncing the words ;)

sorry, don't mean to be mean.

Making me smile without even pronouncing the words ;)

sorry, don't mean to be mean.

It's ok, I know they're names - I learnt that a few pages ago in this very thread. I don't know why I still referred to them as places.

Hi SUPERTYKE, You have done it again---- PERTINENT not pertinant. By the way I do not have spell check on my computer but I went to school many, many years ago when I had to stand up in class spell a word then put it into a sentence to prove that I knew the meaning of the word, if the teacher thought that my effort was satisfactory I was allowed to sit down, every pupil in the class had to carry out this exercise each morning.

The school was in Sheffield.

Don't you think that this childish banter has gone on long enough, please do not encourage t020 to continue his/her rant.

Cheers, Cynthia, Ontario, Canada

I think Todd sterrer should either be banned or given a medal for starting, on only his/her 8th post, such a long, controversial and unresolvable thread.

VOTE NOW

Hi SUPERTYKE, You have done it again---- PERTINENT not pertinant. By the way I do not have spell check on my computer but I went to school many, many years ago when I had to stand up in class spell a word then put it into a sentence to prove that I knew the meaning of the word, if the teacher thought that my effort was satisfactory I was allowed to sit down, every pupil in the class had to carry out this exercise each morning.

The school was in Sheffield.

Don't you think that this childish banter has gone on long enough, please do not encourage t020 to continue his/her rant.

Cheers, Cynthia, Ontario, Canada

====================================================================================================================

Cynthia,

am I to take it then, that you know the correct spelling of EVERY word in the Eng' lang? And, if these posts of mine were of any REAL importance, be assured that I would pop into 'Word' and then do spell check. Although why bother doing that, now that you've reared your petty little head?

Posters on SF don't usually get too anal about spelling, for obvious reasons; we prefer to learn about less prosaic matters from each other. And are aware that spontaneity would be lost otherwise ;; the simplest post would become tedious.

To2o made a beautiful gaff in making 'AFTER ALL' one word. And even you must agree that this is a gaff worthy of being pointed out, especially when made by such a disagreeably pompous ****. OOPS, done it again.

And finally Cynthia, you appear to think that the roots of our speech are childish and inconsequential; 'Banter' it may be to you, but we don't need anyone to point out to us what we should or should not do. I suggest that you subscribe to another thread if this one is not to your liking.

I however, will end my involvement with this thread when I please.

Absolutely 'DAVYBOY', he gets my vote!

Though, it's been kept running by the singlehanded sh^te shovelling of one person!

Supertyke - I'm sorry you find it "disagreeably pompous" of me to pronounce the word "Greenhill" as "Green-hill", but it would seem I'm in the vast majority judging by the poll on the other thread. I didn't realise a pronunciation could offend someone so much, and to stoop to the level of personally insulting, foul language just shows your true colours. I have reported your posting accordingly.

My last mail to this thread !!!!. I wanted to point out that I m not in the habit of correcting any subscribers posts, but Supertyke should know that people who live in glass houses etc. etc.

Supertyke you really made me smile with your comment about my

'pretty little head'. My first job was in the offices of the English Steel Corporation on Brightside Lane in 1945, when I said that I went to school many,many years ago I did mean it.

Cheers, Cynthia, Canada.