Why do Sheffield people pronounce Greenhill, as "Grenill"?

Cynthia,

It was never my intention to persue this thread through the agonisingly tedious labyrinths of to2os' troubled mind. Nor was/is it my intention to be unkind to you or anyone else.

However, male or female,young or old, I am on this forum to say what I think. I will be polite, I will avoid needlessly offending anyone until or unless they offend me.

to2o offended me when, after my first innocuous post, he described it and/or myself as 'strange'. He went on to say that I was attacking anyone who pronounces the word Grennl, 'Green-Hill'. In fact I merely made the obvious observation that some snobby types often try to distance themselves from the scum by poshifying their place name.

His use of reverse psychology was cringingly clear; of course, he would leap to the defence of the posh wouldn't he, surely, he also must be so so well bred.

His breeding is clearly illustrated by his cowardly reluctance to address pertinEnt points and his last ditch attempt to regain credibility by useing an unscientific and utterly preposterous poll.

He uses insulting and demeaning language freely towards others, then whines whinges and wails when those same people retaliate. Ultimately, he reports those who seriously contradict his bigotted beliefs.

He has neither the will nor the propensity to contemplate the possibility that it is he that just might be wrong. His psychosis is classic and complete.

He is an egotist of the worst kind.

He is a powerless, misguided and pathetic figure that prowls the pages of forums such as these searching for posts that he can demonstrate his universal 'knowledge' upon, and never, under any circumstances, to accept the knowledge of others.

It was you who insulted me in the first place Cynthia.

For your correction of my spelling would otherwise have been addressed to me and not in such an openly conspiritorial fashion to our dear friend.

Far be it from me to discourage you or anyone else from making comments on any subject whatsoever; though, common decency should preclude open insults; especially those that may suggest that someones education in the english language might be less thorough than your own; and when that same person wasn' even aware of your existance up to that point.

Of course, as a gentle-man, I am prepared to believe that your words were merely ill chosen and were not meant to injure.

Best regards.

i cant believe your arguing over this ****ty thread, grow up fools.

i cant believe your arguing over this ****ty thread, grow up fools.

Why should we grow up? It is every man right to be childish, and we are not fools.

Dimwits, maybe.

Idiots, perhaps.

But not fools.

That would make us look foolish :D

Cynthia,

It was never my intention to persue this thread through the agonisingly tedious labyrinths of to2os' troubled mind. Nor was/is it my intention to be unkind to you or anyone else.

However, male or female,young or old, I am on this forum to say what I think. I will be polite, I will avoid needlessly offending anyone until or unless they offend me.

to2o offended me when, after my first innocuous post, he described it and/or myself as 'strange'. He went on to say that I was attacking anyone who pronounces the word Grennl, 'Green-Hill'. In fact I merely made the obvious observation that some snobby types often try to distance themselves from the scum by poshifying their place name.

His use of reverse psychology was cringingly clear; of course, he would leap to the defence of the posh wouldn't he, surely, he also must be so so well bred.

His breeding is clearly illustrated by his cowardly reluctance to address pertinEnt points and his last ditch attempt to regain credibility by useing an unscientific and utterly preposterous poll.

He uses insulting and demeaning language freely towards others, then whines whinges and wails when those same people retaliate. Ultimately, he reports those who seriously contradict his bigotted beliefs.

He has neither the will nor the propensity to contemplate the possibility that it is he that just might be wrong. His psychosis is classic and complete.

He is an egotist of the worst kind.

He is a powerless, misguided and pathetic figure that prowls the pages of forums such as these searching for posts that he can demonstrate his universal 'knowledge' upon, and never, under any circumstances, to accept the knowledge of others.

It was you who insulted me in the first place Cynthia.

For your correction of my spelling would otherwise have been addressed to me and not in such an openly conspiritorial fashion to our dear friend.

Far be it from me to discourage you or anyone else from making comments on any subject whatsoever; though, common decency should preclude open insults; especially those that may suggest that someones education in the english language might be less thorough than your own; and when that same person wasn' even aware of your existance up to that point.

Of course, as a gentle-man, I am prepared to believe that your words were merely ill chosen and were not meant to injure.

Best regards.

You really have lost the plot. For a start, where did I ever assert that my pronunciation was right or wrong? I merely stated how I, and most other people, pronounce the word in order to answer the question posed in the thread title. It isn't my fault that you jumped to the conclusion that this is due to some misplaced snobbery.

The chip on your shoulder really couldn't be any bigger, could it? I simply pronounce the word as it's spelt and as I have heard everyone else in my whole life ever pronounce it. Stating this caused me to be branded a liar, but my poll certainly proves otherwise. You say it is "unscientific and utterly preposterous", but what basis do you have for thinking that your way of pronunciation is the only way? Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Your constant attempt to get me to pronounce 2 certain words are examples of desperation of the highest order, especially given the fact that I have already explained how I would pronounce them and what basis people use when learning new words. It is also completely irrelevant - we all know that not all words are pronounced as they're spelt, just as we know that a lot are. So what? It proves nothing.

The only basis you could possibly have, apart from the "my mates say it that way therefore it must be right" feeble excuse for an argument, is that at some point in history, the place was ACTUALLY called Grennell and was pronounced as such. However, even this straw clutching argument is flawed - we all know that language evolves and if we didn't adjust our pronunications accordingly we'd be speaking Old English.

It's a shame that contributing to a thread in an honest way (that I pronounce it Greenhill and so does everybody else I know) has caused such an uproar amongst certain people, for whom wearing a chip on their shoulder is a fashion necessity. But in reality, I'm in the majority in pronouncing it the way I do, I never claimed one way was better than another and this whole, ridiculous argument is spawned by your judgemental, inverse-snob attitude.

PS. My initial post on this thread was:

Why do Sheffield people pronounce Greenhill, as "Grenill"? There's an easy one - they don't. Or at least I don't and I've certainly never heard anyone else call it that either.

This honest and non-provocative posting sparked a barrage of accusations of being a liar, an inverse-snobbery beyond belief, and one of the most ridiculously long lasting arguments on the whole forum. Would you have preferred it if I'd lied and said "I pronounce it Grenill and so does everyone I know"? There really is nothing to argue about - I made an observation, that's all. It's not my fault you took offence to it. You must be a very sensitive soul. :rolleyes:

I used to call it Greenhill, until my Grandmother moved there in the 80s. She referred to it as Grenill, so I followed suit - bowing to her superior knowledge - thinking the old girl was right. God knows what I should call it now! I'm confused. :confused:

Tom'ay'tos, tom'ar'tos?

Pot'ay'toes, pot'ar'toes?

Grenill, Greenhill?

Let's call the whole thing off!!

I used to call it Greenhill, until my Grandmother moved there in the 80s. She referred to it as Grenill, so I followed suit - bowing to her superior knowledge - thinking the old girl was right. God knows what I should call it now! I'm confused. :confused:

Tom'ay'tos, tom'ar'tos?

Pot'ay'toes, pot'ar'toes?

Grenill, Greenhill?

Let's call the whole thing off!!

Maybe you might have hit the nail on the head there saxon51......the older ones of us call it Grennil but then the older ones of us are the ones least likely to have as much access to the forum as the younger ones that call it Greenhill. Therefore, the poll might not be as comprehensive as it could be. Does that make sense? :)

Guest Pauly

All this thread has really proven is that some people will argue about ANYTHING. :roll:

I wonder if they would argue which side they butter there bread on or when you do butter it do you do all the corners as well or just do the middle. then again I wonder if they would argue which is the best way to stir a cup of tea or coffee.

i stir my cup of tea clockwise, so what u saying...anti-clockwise is better or summat??? u tryin to cause trouble or what!!!:)

just to change the subject slightly,

'wedding parties at the Whirlow Brook Hall'

the majority of people stay at the Bee-chiff 'otel

as anyone who knows me, knows im in the taxi trade,

and a good thing to know when in a taxi, in an 'unfamiliar' city, is never admit that you dont know where the hell you are (your gonna get over charged in any city)

but honest as i am, i only ever charge the £4.20 which it is, in the hope of a fiver being given and not asked for any change....

but i once picked up some cockneys, ( a man in the front and a man and 2 ladies in the back) ...and after the guy in the front asked me to go to 'bow'cheif hotel', then proceeded to joke to his friends in the back, "dont give this **** a tip, he'll go and buy another whippet" ,

they laughed in the back, but the ladies, said "awww, leave him alone", he then went onto say "give him 2 quid, so he can buy a terraced house" ...more laughter.... (several more similar jokes continued....oh what a comedian)

end of the journey? "10 quid mate" i said....

well... proud folk us, arent we?

i dont know why i added this, (hope the taxi council dont read it but i thought it was funny)

Why do Sheffield people pronounce Greenhill, as "Grenill"? There's an easy one - they don't. Or at least I don't and I've certainly never heard anyone else call it that either.

============================================================================================================

How kind of you to remind us of your total lack of humour and your psychotic pomposity. I suggest that you go back to the posts before yours and note the casual humour with which the thread was being treated.

Then you came.

As you did before on the 'Sheffield Accent' thread waving your arms and proclaiming your total lack of accent.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NOBODY GIVES A FLYING FIG WHETHER YOU HAVE AN ACCENT OR NOT. Least of all me.

If I have lost the plot, you never had it in the first place.

You put great reliance in the hope that your insults and innacuracies will go unnoticed or that people will not bother referring back to earlier posts. Perhaps you think that we ALL have chips on our shoulders. Why not commission a poll on what people think of you and your bull****?

I have NEVER CALLED YOU A SNOB.

I said that 'SOME PEOPLE WILL PRONOUNCE THEIR PLACE-NAME AS POSHLY AS POSSIBLE IN ORDER TO APPEAR HIGHER STATUS'.

However, if the cap fits, feel free to wear it.

Ask yourself

WHY you are so eager to deny having a trace of northern accent.

WHY you display such a desperate need to be 'RIGHT'.

WHY you need to be, 'in with a young, 'GreenHill' majority'.

WHY you initiate frivolous polls when you must know that accurate polls are based on parameters that you have not begun to meet.

WHY so many people have come to seriously disagree with you and continue to do so.

Nor did I ever say that one pronunciation was better or worse than another.

By the way, where did you say you come from?

just to change the subject slightly,

'wedding parties at the Whirlow Brook Hall'

the majority of people stay at the Bee-chiff 'otel

as anyone who knows me, knows im in the taxi trade,

and a good thing to know when in a taxi, in an 'unfamiliar' city, is never admit that you dont know where the hell you are (your gonna get over charged in any city)

but honest as i am, i only ever charge the £4.20 which it is, in the hope of a fiver being given and not asked for any change....

but i once picked up some cockneys, ( a man in the front and a man and 2 ladies in the back) ...and after the guy in the front asked me to go to 'bow'cheif hotel', then proceeded to joke to his friends in the back, "dont give this **** a tip, he'll go and buy another whippet" ,

they laughed in the back, but the ladies, said "awww, leave him alone", he then went onto say "give him 2 quid, so he can buy a terraced house" ...more laughter.... (several more similar jokes continued....oh what a comedian)

end of the journey? "10 quid mate" i said....

well... proud folk us, arent we?

i dont know why i added this, (hope the taxi council dont read it but i thought it was funny)

Can I have the number for your taxi firm, please, cos If you are only charging £4.20, for a four and a half mile journey, I'd like to use your company in preference to the company I currently use, whose charges are £4.20 for a journey of 1.6-2.0 miles, (a four and a half mile journey with my firm would be approx £7.20, depending on the exact milage:- I dread to think what it'd be in a black-cab, on a meter... :o )

PT