Why do Sheffield people pronounce Greenhill, as "Grenill"?

Its wrong

Please stop it.

Because Grenell was the name before the Council decided that Greenhill sounded better ... when they decided to compulsorily demolish the beautiful hall and built yet another council estate on the land ...

a lesson learnt every day

is that why the "grennel moore" is named so?

Grennil, Beechiff, Lijjit, Maylin Bridge, Oh-ler-ton, Freshville.

It's the correct pronouncation for Sheffoielders.

Grennil, Beechiff, Lijjit, Maylin Bridge, Oh-ler-ton, Freshville.

It's the correct pronouncation for Sheffoielders.

Too reight.

I've always known it as 'Grenhill', i can only guess the residents would like the name Green-hill. Unsure of the history though

the grennel moore is named after the blokes who use to cut the meadow in the pastures a very very long time a go, if you go into the pub up on grenhill you will see a plaque inside the pub telling you the story of how the grennel moore got its name, I use to see this everyday as the grennel moore use to be my local when I lived up there all them years ago. I also believe that the sycthes what they use to us to cut the meadow was called a grennel in the olden days and so this is one belief that is where the name came from moore being the hill on which the grass grew and grennel the name of the blade what cut it down, so thats how the grennel moore came about. it the same as beauchief when I lived up there on lowedges I had a mate a rather posh chap who lived in the houses on bocking lane, i would call beauchief as it is spelt be he would call it bowchief but then snobs cant say words properly with out moving the plum in there gob, everything as to be said rather posh oh thank god I am not a snob and I talk broad yorkshire with my words of thee and thow and now then thee, posh people dont like yorkshire men who talk the yorkshire dialect we are commoners to them.

I've always known it as 'Grenhill', i can only guess the residents would like the name Green-hill. Unsure of the history though

Yes, it's "Far Away"!

Yes, there's a road near me called Alnwick and the natives sound the 'L'

It is actually pronounced Annick but no, got to sound the L out:rolleyes:

And the W :rolleyes:

Greenhill shouldn't be pronounced as Grenell claims toddster! :huh:

What next? Darbyshire pronounced as Derbyshire? :hihi: