Broadband wi fi problem

Just changed from Talk Talk to BT, installed new router all fine.

Every thing is connected wirelessly, and works ok but, if the desk top is shut down when the ipad is being used, the ipad looses its internet connection.

It works fine when the desk top is not turned on, and fine when it is on, its just after shut down.

This didn't happen before, anyone got any ideas why?

Thanks

Edited by andrejuan

Probably just the start of the many problems with bt home hubs. If you can, get yourself a decent router and dont use the home hub. Iam yet to hear a good word said about bt internet and home hubs.

Thank you.

I was considering putting the old talk talk one back on. If it works with BT. Or, as you suggest buying a better one.

It would be useful to look in the event logs of the Home Hub after you notice it happens, it may indicate what is happening to cause that issue. Does it happen with any other devices?

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 07:48 ----------

Change the wireless channel from AUTO to 9 - 11 or 13, give it a go, should make a huge difference.

On 2.4Ghz you should really only use 1, 6 or 11 with them being the only none-overlapping channels.

Hi Andre

As I understand it this is something to do with the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies of the WiFi spectrum. The iPad doesn't like moving from one frequency to another and so looses its route to the internet.

Happens to me too on Vodafone Broadband and before that on Virgin Medaia too.

You can either live with it by turning the WiFi off and back on again on your iPad or you can dissable the 5 GHz frequency in the home hub settings.

Notes:

The 5 Ghz frequency is what allows multiple 802.11n (high speed) connections at the same time without interference. Turning it off will restrict the speed of your WiFi so if you are watching Netflix in HD and playing a high usage XBox game at the same time one of them will suffer.

William

Thank you William, I have not got the fastest broadband so probably i'll have to live with it :-( Only a year to go before swapping back :-)))

You can either live with it by turning the WiFi off and back on again on your iPad or you can dissable the 5 GHz frequency in the home hub settings.

Notes:

The 5 Ghz frequency is what allows multiple 802.11n (high speed) connections at the same time without interference. Turning it off will restrict the speed of your WiFi so if you are watching Netflix in HD and playing a high usage XBox game at the same time one of them will suffer.

William

Alternatively you can split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels in the Homehub's settings. Eradicating the Apple/Homehub compatibility issues but retaining the benefits of the 5ghz band.

Alternatively you can split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels in the Homehub's settings.

Wouldn't the iPad still suffer the same fate though when it no longer likes the 5 GHz frequency?

I'm sure I've got mine split but every time I go into the kitchen it just stops working. I have to disconnect and reconnect the iPad from the Wifi.

William

---------- Post added 09-01-2017 at 12:31 ----------

Thank you William, I have not got the fastest broadband so probably i'll have to live with it :-( Only a year to go before swapping back :-)))

3-5Mbps is classed as an HD stream. UHD or 4K is at the 20-25 Mbps range.

Netflix will hover up as much bandwidth as possible to give you the best picture.

You could spend a full month fine tuning you different frequencies and channels around your home and then BAM, the next door neighbour gets a new router and you're back to the start.

I try and use a physical network as much as possible in my house. Only things like tablets and mobiles are using the WiFi.

Try downloading a WiFi scanning app on your iPad and then walking around the house to find out which channels are most used in the places you sit with it and then choose channels that aren't being used as much.

If you really wanted to upset your neighbours you could get a USA branded router as they're less restricted on the power output than the EU regulated ones we have in the UK.

What I can't understand is why it wasn't doing it with the old router?

Probably didn't support 5ghz wireless?

I think the home hub has a setting so that you can turn off the 5ghz setting so try doing that as you may find it is of no benefit. I have disabled it on mine which is a plusnet hub. As it is short range it would cut off when going to another room in which 2.4ghz would work fine. The hub may also have a 2.4ghz setting so that you can up the bit rate. Mine was set at a default of 144Mbs and I upped it to 300Mbs.

Edited by apelike