Auto electrician advice/recommendations?

I would recommend Steve at Autotronix most highly. He's fixed my cars for over 10 years (Mercedes so lots of electrical issues!) and last October he pulled out the stops to replace the ignition coils in my oldest car one evening so I could go on holiday the next morning in it.

Contact details are: steve@autotronix.co.uk

Tel. 0114 358 6124

He's based on City Road but can offer a mobile service if you need it.

Good luck with your car (not a Merc is it?)

Merc? I wished it's a Polo!

[/color]CHRIS redfern he works out of grant & mcallin on rothervalley way he's from the old school he knows his stuff and his prices are fair

not to be confused with his brother Steven on Queens road in Beighton, this fellow charges an arm and a leg

Edited by allwednesday

I would recommend Steve at Autotronix most highly. He's fixed my cars for over 10 years (Mercedes so lots of electrical issues!) and last October he pulled out the stops to replace the ignition coils in my oldest car one evening so I could go on holiday the next morning in it.

Contact details are: steve@autotronix.co.uk

Tel. 0114 358 6124

He's based on City Road but can offer a mobile service if you need it.

Good luck with your car (not a Merc is it?)

I'd steer well clear of here Steve makes dell boy look innocent and a fully tax paying citizen. he charges what he wants steer clear

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

What year Polo is it?

Y reg 2001....old I suppose but only done 55K!

There cant be much to cause a drain on an old polo. Just a thought does the blower motor still work with the ignition off.

A lot of the older vw's are prone to the fuse box getting wet due to leaks under the windscreen causing all sorts of electrical problems resulting in a new fuse box. It could be a short in the loom somewhere , problem areas are the interior light switches in the door jams and tailgate wiring under the rubber seal. if you want to narrow it down -take a battery lead off and connect a multimeter in series with battery and battery lead ,set to amps and see how much current its pulling with the ignition off, its should draw a little maybe 0.3amp if its more and it will be if its draining the battery .next pull out fuses one by one until the amps drop off then you will know at least in which circuit the problem is and you can always pull that fuse to save the battery until you get it fixed.

hope this helps if i was there i would fix it for you myself.

There cant be much to cause a drain on an old polo. Just a thought does the blower motor still work with the ignition off.

Not sure Andy, will try this...

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 21:25 ----------

A lot of the older vw's are prone to the fuse box getting wet due to leaks under the windscreen causing all sorts of electrical problems resulting in a new fuse box. It could be a short in the loom somewhere , problem areas are the interior light switches in the door jams and tailgate wiring under the rubber seal. if you want to narrow it down -take a battery lead off and connect a multimeter in series with battery and battery lead ,set to amps and see how much current its pulling with the ignition off, its should draw a little maybe 0.3amp if its more and it will be if its draining the battery .next pull out fuses one by one until the amps drop off then you will know at least in which circuit the problem is and you can always pull that fuse to save the battery until you get it fixed.

hope this helps if i was there i would fix it for you myself.

Sounds a little complicated not something I or hubby would be able to do unfortunately, just one thing the starter motor makes a noise occasionally, we've had 2 in the last 10 years could this be connected to a drain?

Starter motor draining the battery, its not impossible but very unlikely but if the car is difficult to start i.e turns over slowly then the starter motor could be on the way out. Going on previous experience and the cold damp weather the uk has had its probably a short circuit or corroded connection somewhere .just recently i spent a few hours trying to find why a customers car had no lights and draining battery it turned out to be the tow bar electrical socket that was corroded causing a short.

In case anyone accesses this thread thought I would give my up to date view. Used Graysons today, fantastic service, faults found and repaired quickly, professionally and surprisingly cheaply. Yes I found the engineer quiet, but then if I want a chat i will go to the pub, if I want my car fixed I will go a garage. Highly recommended.

:thumbsup:

It's for my vauxhall corsa, it's a 1999 reg, the problem is my speedo has stopped working, and my steering has gone quite stiff and my cigarette lighter isn't working, I don't know if these problems are related, so just wanted it checking out. Anyone had this problem ?? Got a rough price how much it may be?

When a few unrelated electrical items all fail at the same time, and the fuses appear to be OK, I'd look at the battery. Do you know how old it is?