Presenting an old WW2 map?

I have a 1938 German Luftwaffe WW2 map of Britain that my Grandad brought home from the war with him. He followed the D-Day landings through Europe and into Germany, and brought the map back as a keepsake.

I now own the map which is rolled up and a bit creased, and i'd like to mount and frame it to hang on a wall.

Finding a picture framer is easy enough, but I want somewhere that will treat it with the care it deserves, and present it at its best, perhaps removing the creases etc?

Thanks.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Public%202/IMG_1823_zpszrowiwiu.jpg

Edited by WarPig

I've literally ironed out creases in old maps before. I've hung it in a bathroom first to get warm and absorb some steam, then ironed it with a cold iron with a teatowel on the map.

However, if its of value, I'd keep it rolled up and get a copy, I've got the Merseyside Luftwaffe map from the net.

The Sheffield Archives will repair documents.

Perhaps you had better show it to them to get an opinion.

Granma.

I can't help regarding your issue but all I can say is wow, that's a nice piece of history right there. Nazi items fetch quite a bit too ;)

Can't help you.... but that is so cool!!!

I have my grandads old soldiers book, all his details of where he was etc... I love it!! X

Id personally ask the Imperial War museum for advice - they will have dealt with things like this before and will have experience in curating things from this era as well. They also may be interested in the historical content of the map as well.

Sounds like a nice bit of family history. Just don't hang it anywhere near sunlight it wont take long for it to fade if you do...

A few more photos of the map here..

IMG_1821_zpsvzrnru8s.jpg

IMG_1824_zpsqi8c5fe6.jpg

IMG_1825_zpsm7j1qutf.jpg

I have a 1938 German Luftwaffe WW2 map of Britain that my Grandad brought home from the war with him. He followed the D-Day landings through Europe and into Germany, and brought the map back as a keepsake.

I now own the map which is rolled up and a bit creased, and i'd like to mount and frame it to hang on a wall.

Finding a picture framer is easy enough, but I want somewhere that will treat it with the care it deserves, and present it at its best, perhaps removing the creases etc?

Thanks.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Public%202/IMG_1823_zpszrowiwiu.jpg

Personally, I'd have the map photographed by a professional photographer and then reproduced either as a quality photo, or a giclee print using archival paper and inks. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference apart from the creases would (if desired) disappear. Leave the original map as it is to prevent light and other damage.

I know someone who excels at this (not me) if you decide on this method, although he's in Tibet for two months at the mo (photographic assignment).

I've literally ironed out creases in old maps before. I've hung it in a bathroom first to get warm and absorb some steam, then ironed it with a cold iron with a teatowel on the map.

However, if its of value, I'd keep it rolled up and get a copy, I've got the Merseyside Luftwaffe map from the net.

Do you have a link for that, my late mother was under those bombs.

Brampton Picture Framing is a picture framing company in Chesterfield who are qualified to do conservation work. I'd take it there to discuss it with them.

https://www.bramptonframing.com/

Brampton Picture Framing is a picture framing company in Chesterfield who are qualified to do conservation work. I'd take it there to discuss it with them.

https://www.bramptonframing.com/

That looks like a good place to use, thanks.

I think theres a Picture framing place on Abbeydale Rd on the right as you come from town