Terror attack first aid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38495234

Now it's all very laudable this first aid business and not one for people to ignore.

But then... "They say people need to know how to help each other because it could take some time before it is deemed safe for paramedics to arrive on the scene. "

So it's OK for joe public but not the paramedics?

Now I'm sorry but if you are working in the blue light services, I would expect a certain amount of risk to go with the job. Nothing is perfectly safe but are we perhaps being a bit too cautious in not asking people to go into a situation?

Take Derrik Bird and his little shootfest in Cumbria. How many people bled to death because they were sat for hours at the roadside whilst paramedics stood uselessly a few hundred meters away because the control desk wouldn't let them attend the incident? As I recall a lot of people get to hospital eventually by private cars.

So are we being a bit too cautious? Is the balance moving a bit too far to one side or not?

Now it's all very laudable this first aid business and not one for people to ignore.

But then... "They say people need to know how to help each other because it could take some time before it is deemed safe for paramedics to arrive on the scene. "

Now I'm sorry but if you are working in the blue light services, I would expect a certain amount of risk to go with the job. Nothing is perfectly safe but are we perhaps being a bit too cautious in not asking people to go into a situation?

Take Derrik Bird and his little shootfest in Cumbria. How many people bled to death because they were sat for hours at the roadside whilst paramedics stood uselessly a few hundred meters away because the control desk wouldn't let them attend the incident? As I recall a lot of people get to hospital eventually by private cars.

So are we being a bit too cautious? Is the balance moving a bit too far to one side or not?

Valid question, but in the world we live in, it's not unreasonable to suggest that another bomb/gunman/lorry turns up to take out the first responders.

Maybe let paramedics make their own decisions but with as much info as possible.

Understandable. Firefighters aren't allowed to put out a burning building if it's deemed too hazardous.

What a sad world we live in if learning terror first aid is necessary.

Understandable. Firefighters aren't allowed to put out a burning building if it's deemed too hazardous.

What a sad world we live in if learning terror first aid is necessary.

But what is "too hazardous"....? I mean firefighters have died when they thought it was safe - there were four in Glasgow that died recently and some more at some vegetable plant in Norfolk I recall.

No ones saying they should rush in regardless but it seems that they are saying any risk is too much almost and that I think is perhaps wrong firefighters risk lives to save lives so why not paramedics?

I dont know there is a right answer to it, but it's given food for thought this article.

It may be somewhat of a side issue to the point our OP is making, but isn't 'terror attack first aid' just first aid?

If you're minus a leg, or full of holes, it doesn't really matter whether you got caught in machinery, smashed up in a car, have fallen through a plate glass window, or been bombed; the actions you need to take are the same.

It may be somewhat of a side issue to the point our OP is making, but isn't 'terror attack first aid' just first aid?

If you're minus a leg, or full of holes, it doesn't really matter whether you got caught in machinery, smashed up in a car, have fallen through a plate glass window, or been bombed; the actions you need to take are the same.

Not really - its more about dealing with massive trauma. For many years first aiders were never meant to use torniquets - that changed after the Boston bombings when some military vets used them to save a fair few lives. Torniquets are back in first aid at work now in a big way....

Fair comment, not enough people know first aid - me included I'm sad to say (not since a first aid badge at cubs anyway).

But what is "too hazardous"....? I mean firefighters have died when they thought it was safe - there were four in Glasgow that died recently and some more at some vegetable plant in Norfolk I recall.

No ones saying they should rush in regardless but it seems that they are saying any risk is too much almost and that I think is perhaps wrong firefighters risk lives to save lives so why not paramedics?

I dont know there is a right answer to it, but it's given food for thought this article.

If the risk to their life is not worth taking for the sake of saving others, I guess.

At Hungerford, a police officer was killed and an ambulance fired upon if I recall...

Armed police need to clear these incident, otherwise you are just sending in more potential fresh targets and increasing the casualty rate.

Edited by perplexed

At Hungerford, a police officer was killed and an ambulance fired upon if I recall...

Armed police need to clear these incident, otherwise you are just sending in more potential fresh targets and increasing the casualty rate.

Well there's the rub, as obelix points out, how many are going to die from their injuries until the area is secure?

Run away in the event of an incident if you can

Hide if you can't run

Tell the emergency services.

No i'll just run at an AK47 on full auto and hope i dodge the bullets matrix style. Thanks for saving my life with this valuable info

Edited by Event Horizo

I remember when I was in Die Hard, one of the hostages was injured and wouldn't shut up whining that he needed a hospital.

If it wasn't for one of the other hostages being a first aider I believe the terrorists would have shot dead the injured guy just to shut him up. They certainly weren't intending to let any paramedics into the tower.