Rivelin Valley Road Accident 03/01/2017

I have just been diverted from Rivelin Valley Road at approx 11.30am due to an accident at the junction of Rails Road and Rivelin Valley Road.Police and Ambulance attending .

It's a very bad junction with poor visibility in all directions. Some road furniture would help slow down the approach.

It's a very bad junction with poor visibility in all directions. Some road furniture would help slow down the approach.

Been driving 30 years and never had a problem with the junction.

Treat it with respect: check, check and check again when pulling out of Rails Road as traffic approaches fast along RVR (particularly from Manchester Road end).

Guest makapaka
Been driving 30 years and never had a problem with the junction.

Treat it with respect: check, check and check again when pulling out of Rails Road as traffic approaches fast along RVR (particularly from Manchester Road end).

Don't disagree with anything you've said but you can't legislate for others and something to slow others wouldn't hurt to be fair.

You can't deny it's an accident blackspot. And you can't assume that other road users are good drivers.

Is it though? The junction at Hollins Lane bridge further up the road is far worse IMO

Yes, agree with the replies above and I'm not trying to sound arrogant. It is an accident black spot and, like I said, a junction which requires respect (and sometimes patience).

I've ran many a time past that tree which is adorned with tributes to a deceased father and it makes me shudder every time.

At some point pretty much every junction in Sheffield has been labelled as an accident blackspot; not long ago it was the crossroads at Lodge Moor that was supposed to be particularly terrible but as far as I know nothing has occurred there for a long time now (but I don't live there so I don't know... but it doesn't seem to have been on the forum lately). I don't consider the Rails Road crossroads to be any worse really.

Have used both these junctions (Rails Road and Hollins Lane) and never had a problem

Guest busdriver1
Have used both these junctions (Rails Road and Hollins Lane) and never had a problem

Thats because there is no such thing as a dangerous road, there are just roads that are used dangerously, you must have been fortunate and missed the dangerous drivers.

Thats because there is no such thing as a dangerous road, there are just roads that are used dangerously, you must have been fortunate and missed the dangerous drivers.

Very fortunate! I must admit you need to be a confident driver to tackle Hollins Lane junction. You need eyes everywhere.

I made a response yesterday to comments but it seems to have been stopped for some unknown reason.

RVR is a great road and only becomes dangerous when drivers do not adhere to the speed limit.The road has slight bends and so visibility is extremely good.

I have no idea what caused the accident ,but it seemed like the Post Office van was coming from Manchester Road direction and ended up in the railings where RVR joins Rails road,and another hatchback in the middle of the junction facing down RVR so its hard to conclude what happened.

Having lived on RVR for the last few years I have witnessed several car accidents that resulted in fatalities.As we know CCTV is further on down the valley which has stopped further RTA `s .So possibly another situated around Rails road may help but to my experience the bend where Coppice Farm is remains the biggest problem ,as it is from here to Manchester Road has the most accidents.If drivers just stuck to 40 MPH then really accidents would be a thing of the past.