Dame Jessica Ennis Hill

Not hate, just lack of deserving. I'm with the person advocating recognition of the lad who lost his legs and learned to walk again. Now there's a real role model. People who don't give back and don't apologise when they've been proved wrong aren't role models. My opinion to which I'm entitled, just as much as anyone else.

Then nominate that person - do you know the individuals name so that we can all see who they are ? (we can wait whilst you do quick google search)

why come on here to slag someone off? But then thats SF for you.

Have a great New Year

How the haters like to hate.

It shows the very best aspects of human character doesn't it?

I have never met her but I am more than capable of grasping the quite astonishing level of application over very many years (when the pie eaters were tucked up in bed) that allowed her to compete with such success at an elite level.

You just can't please some people from sheffield can you ?

I am lost as to how some feel the desperate need to come on here and slag someone off with such feeling - maybe try a resolution going into the new year:):)

There are so many good things about Sheffield, like the ability of sports people such as Jess, Seb Coe, Joe Root and Michael Vaughan, to name only a few. Unfortunately there is a very negative, but vocal, minority who can only knock those who achieve, or try to do, anything in any field.

If they want to recommend anyone for an honour they can do so, it's quite easy, see; https://www.gov.uk/honours/overview The merits, or otherwise, of the scheme should be the subject of another thread.

An outbreak of positivity would serve Sheffield well as we move towards 2017.

I think the honours list needs scrapping. I respect Howard Gayle for calling it what it is.

Glad it's not just me feels that way. I would have some degree of respect for her if she'd given something back to the city from the small fortune she must have made on the back of the success, no small part of which was down to use of facilities paid for by Sheffield residents. Golden girl alright! Kept all the gold. Afraid the only dame I'd make this one is a pantomime dame.

Our Jess benefitted from exactly the same facilities that you or I or indeed all Sheffield residents and pie eaters tucked up in bed have access to.

Why this should make her the subject of envy and bitchy comments, I really do not know.

Edited by The Joker

I respect the people who are very successful who do a"job"they love and, very well paid, who turn these gongs down, for very good "imo" reasons, Not least if you are not liked by the people who give them out you can be the best the world has ever seen, you wont get one, if by some quirk you do it will be well watered down.

The last time I checked this thread is not about Evans. That discussion is to cease.

So is that why she's been made a dame.

No, it's most likely her great success throughout her career but the exposure she has generated is also a result of that success.

Our Jess benefitted from exactly the same facilities that you or I or indeed all Sheffield residents and pie eaters tucked up in bed have access to.

Why this should make her the subject of envy and bitchy comments, I really do not know.

There's people who achieved what Jess did but not got to be a Dame.

I think there is a lot of so called ordinary people deserve the award before Jess and others who make a lot of money doing what they love.

Such as? You can nominate them like anyone else.

Congratulations to Jess. Sheffield is proud of her and her achievements. She is a great role model.

Like who? Genuinely interested...

I also disagree with anyone getting a gong simply for doing their job no matter how well. Ultimately athletics was her job and yes she is extraordinarily good at it but regardless of that she has not, IMO, done anything else deserving of her Dameship. Neither has Andy Murray or frankly hardly any of the names on the list. The only ones I agree with at all are those who have done vast amounts of charity work.

Nothing against Jess, she's a legend and deserves all the praise she gets but I don't agree with sportsmen/women getting titles simply for doing their sports.

I doubt there are any Olympic medalists whose achievements weren't honoured in some way.

---------- Post added 31-12-2016 at 15:04 ----------

...Nothing against Jess, she's a legend and deserves all the praise she gets but I don't agree with sportsmen/women getting titles simply for doing their sports.

Bu they don't - only when they work to become the very best in the world - quite simply an extraordinary achievement

I doubt there are any Olympic medalists whose achievements weren't honoured in some way.

---------- Post added 31-12-2016 at 15:04 ----------

Bu they don't - only when they work to become the very best in the world - quite simply an extraordinary achievement

That's it though,there's a few who won more than Jess who have not been knighted,there's a guy who worked for the Samaritans for 57 years,he got a mbe,now he should have been knighted.