Dame Jessica Ennis Hill

I always thought such things were awarded to people for doing something amazing, such as saving a life, lots of charity work, selfless acts etc....

not simply by being the best at something..... :S

Why dont you read through the 127 pages of honours and you might see there are plenty of people on there who do lots of charity work, save lives and undertake selfess acts.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/580999/new-years-honours-2017-full-list.pdf

if these people who have got these awards have worked hard to get to the top of the tree in there sports and then, named sir's dames etc. what does that say about a person who goes to work 5 days a week on piece work for 50+ years of there life and, struggle to manage on the pay they get, and stay poor all of there life.

Yes, i admire the people who refuse these, By all accounts there are 300+ of them who have refused these awards.

The man with the pram should get this over some of the people who got these. Seems its a fashion accessory getting honoured now

John Burkhill received a British Empire Medal in the 2013 New Year Honour List. If he is nominated for a higher award in the future it may be awarded.

It's not necessarily a case of one over another. We don't know who has been nominated for, or offered, an honour unless the nominator chooses to tell us, or the person who declines an offer lets on. Most of us will never be nominated, and many would decline it if an honour were offered. Many have declined honours, and some have only accepted after being nominated many times over long periods of time.

If you want to nominate someone it's not that hard, the link's in my previous post.

Here we go...

Another year and same old complaints and moaning about the honours system.

For goodness sake, the complete list is 127 pages long.

It contains a range of people from well known to not known. There are millitary personnel, civil servants, royal staff, doctors, nurses, engineers, lawyers, company officers, directors, charity workers, volunteers and yes even some well known broadcasters, actors and sportsmen.

Whether people agree with it or not. If someone has dedicated their career to a sport or had long service as a broadcaster or entertainer which has attracted thousands/millions of fans THAT IS AN ACHIEVEMENT. If someone goes and represents the country at a major sporting event and is successful, thus inspiring thousands THAT IS AN ACHIEVEMENT.

Its quite obvious that the news will always focus on the dozen or so well known people because lets be honest, that's the only people that the wider population know or give a toss about.

Joe Bloggs the charity worker might well deserve his gong but if nobody knows him outside his immediate circle and he is no different to the hundreds of others on the honours list why would they get a mention in the papers or tv reports.

It gets tedious. Every year the list comes out. No bugger reads it beyond the headline names and then whinge and moan that no ordinary people are on it. Perhaps people ought to read it then they might understand the amount and range of people on it.

Great post. I could not have worded it better! :)

Great post. I could not have worded it better! :)

Neither could I, so I Second that.

Well done Jess, a role model to be proud of.

One has to think the naysayers are jealous of great achievement. Why? We can only guess.

hmm sheffield and proud...except when it came to help trying to save her "beloved" don valley stadium along with seb coe and his "legacy" shame on them. i've met her and her coach and went to school with her coach's wife seems she is quick to forget her roots

hmm sheffield and proud...except when it came to help trying to save her "beloved" don valley stadium along with seb coe and his "legacy" shame on them. i've met her and her coach and went to school with her coach's wife seems she is quick to forget her roots

Certainly could have done more to save Don Valley. Shame she didnt use her talents on something useful

Edited by haddy

What do you suggest she could have done to save the Don Valley Stadium?

---------- Post added 01-01-2017 at 17:57 ----------

Certainly could have done more to dave Don Valley. Shame she didnt use her talents on something useful

Same question to you.

Well if her 'roots' include pathetic whingers like you then it's no surprise she'd want to forget them.

Says alot when someone from our city puts in an excellent showing at two olympics on the trot and still certain people try and put them down :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Got backing of other athletes people to help save the place. Funding by using her. Put some of her own money in. Bring awareness and support by using her position to support the cause the list goes on