Best place to buy cheap pc.

Sorry, no they have a small alcove with minimal space so ideally a desktop pc so the monitor can go on top of pc but as ghozer says if a tower on its side works that's cool. Just on a low budget.

Edited by Romario

Sorry, no they have a small alcove with minimal space so ideally a desktop pc so the monitor can go on top of pc but as ghozer says if a tower on its side works that's cool. Just on a low budget.

I would definitely think again about putting a tower on its side and sitting a monitor on top. Towers do not have any side struts or bracing to take the weight of a monitor.

A lot of refurb shops sell the Dell Optiplex 745, 755, and 845 desktops. They're ex-NHS and absolutely brilliant beasts that just run and run. Ramp up the RAM and install an SSD and you're sorted.

Or look on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-755-P4-80-HDD-Dual-CPU-2-00-GHz-2048Mb-Ram-DV-ROM-CDRW-DVD-/262864931641?hash=item3d33f88b39:g:2WwAAOSw9GhYe~Q~

As above.. And if its just for browsing and email then Linux Zorin should run very well on it and of course its free. I mention Zorin as its very windows like and easy to use.

I would definitely think again about putting a tower on its side and sitting a monitor on top. Towers do not have any side struts or bracing to take the weight of a monitor.

That was the days of CRT's, now with LCD/LED etc they are generally quite lite and most computer cases will support the weight.... Just use common sense tbh...

Considering how old their current PC is, we don't know it ISN'T a CRT.

But the point was they are asking for a desktop specifically... so I was talking about a new machine!

Even with an LCD its still bad practice to do that.

Why did you direct that to me? I wasn't the one saying you could lay a tower on its side.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Why did you direct that to me? I wasn't the one saying you could lay a tower on its side.

Apologies.. it was a mistake as it should have gone to Ghozer and as you have quoted it I cannot change it.

Ideally I'd like a desktop pc like the compaq evo small form factor they have now.

If a tower can be layed on its side that would suffice as didn't know could do that.

Just something inexpensive running Windows 7 or 10 I guess, an up to date version as the current pc is xp pro and things starting to not work.