E/Bay and bidding?

Before I bid on an item if bids have already been placed I like to look and see who's bidding, you don't get a name but you can see the pattern of bidding.

Today I bid on two out of three lots being sold by the same person and had a look at all three bidding histories, all previous bids stated - private listing - bidder identity protected

** £2.43

24-Dec-16 13:12:41 GMT

--

private listing - bidder identity protected

** £2.00

23-Dec-16 19:37:10 GMT

--

Starting price

** £1.99

23-Dec-16 18:39:44 GMT

Has anyone come across this before? I know I haven't - what does it mean? besides the obvious.

I agree it is not uncommon. Any item can be listed in a private auction, which I guess stops other Ebay users from being nosey, for whatever reasons.

Yes, I've seen items of a sexual nature as a private listing.........(stops and thinks -re-looks at the e/bay listing), your right all three are private listings - for an ashtray and two pair of cufflinks?

Oh! well at least I know why now - thanks

Yes, I've seen items of a sexual nature as a private listing.........(stops and thinks -re-looks at the e/bay listing), your right all three are private listings - for an ashtray and two pair of cufflinks?

Oh! well at least I know why now - thanks

As both a buyer and seller myself you tend to find it depends on the seller. Not all private auctions are 'adult' items, some may be items of high value or of a sensitive nature where the seller wishes to keep the buyers ID anonymous so the item cannot be traced to the winning bidder

Most disappointed with a particular eBay seller at present...

I made a successful bid on Boxing Day, paid just light of £100 within minutes of having the offer accepted, but then got a message last night that the item had been "misplaced" and therefore could not be posted as planned.

Requested my details so a refund could be processed....

Hmmmm....

Not without going back through eBay and PayPal, matey!

Ebay say items of a sensitive nature and really high price items should be the only items with bidders identities hidden.In practice virtually anything is being advertised with hidden bidders.As Ebay don't seem to want to do anything about it I won't bid on these items as I suspect they are being bid up.