Learner Drivers on motorways?

After driving back from the south coast in heavy fog today, I think motorway driving should be a compulsory part of the test.

After driving back from the south coast in heavy fog today, I think motorway driving should be a compulsory part of the test.

After doing particularly high miles through December, I'd echo that and add a retest every 5 years.

After doing particularly high miles through December, I'd echo that and add a retest every 5 years.

Add to that Winter driving in snow, I'm not sure whether its drivers in Sheffield or UK as a whole....one snowflake and that's it, gridlocked traffic and drivers with no common sense whatsoever on how to drive in snow especially those with rear wheel drive cars and 4x4's

This should be mandatory

After I passed my test my dad took me onto the motorway for a couple of hours with me driving, I learnt a lot in that couple of hours, well worth it

Edited by Norseman

Add to that Winter driving in snow, I'm not sure whether its drivers in Sheffield or UK as a whole....one snowflake and that's it, gridlocked traffic and drivers with no common sense whatsoever on how to drive in snow especially those with rear wheel drive cars and 4x4's

This should be mandatory

After I passed my test my dad took me onto the motorway for a couple of hours with me driving, I learnt a lot in that couple of hours, well worth it

We don't get enough snow to make it worth it - we get plenty of fog though.

We don't get enough snow to make it worth it - we get plenty of fog though.

It does make sense to teach people how to drive in inclement conditions, but they are hard to replicate, unless it just happens to be snowing or foggy on one of your driving lessons. When I had my extra lessons, the snow had just melted, and the AA instructor said it was unfortunate that there was none left.

I'll admit, the accident I had was due to skidding on ice, and had I known more about driving on ice and snow, I might have managed not to hit that parked car.

This should be mandatory

How would this even work?

We've had only a few days of snow this year, and none of it settled on the roads, so you wouldn't allow anyone who's been learning for the past year to get a license?

---------- Post added 31-12-2016 at 10:10 ----------

The reason it's not compulsory is that some people live long distances form the nearest motorway. If it's an hours drive to reach it, then it's not practical to either learn on it, or be tested on it.

When I was learning to drive hgv,s I was taken on motorway all time so don't see why it should be any different for car drivers tbh

Yes but you already had a licence and driving experience, I assume you had driven a car on the motorway.

Many years ago when I first started with lessons at Handsworth S of M they used to run motorway lessons for people when they had passed their test.

The reason it's not compulsory is that some people live long distances form the nearest motorway. If it's an hours drive to reach it, then it's not practical to either learn on it, or be tested on it.

That was a good point made yesterday by one of the motoring organisation representatives . They suggested that in areas where a suitable stretch of a motorway is near, then that could form part of a test route.

HGV drivers spend a much greater proportion of their time on motorways than do ordinary car drivers, some of whom almost never drive on motorways at all.

when in Sheffield I drive around 400 miles a week and the amount of mileage I do on motorways is negligible. 5% or less. With HGV drivers it will vary but I'm guessing it might be as high as 80%.

in Sheffield there is just not that much call for a lot of people to drive on motorways at all. But in some places, like Manchester and Birmingham, which are totally surrounded by motorway by necessity people have to drive on motorways a lot more.

Is inconvenience to the learner a suitable argument against increasing road safety through a more challenging test?

Is inconvenience to the learner a suitable argument against increasing road safety through a more challenging test?

Fair comment but how many learner/new drivers are responsible for motorway crashes compared with older and more experienced driver who should know better?

Yes, it absolutely is.