Can SCC stoop any lower ?

So why are so many of the streets where they have been placed empty of cars when people living close by could park without restriction .

Research with your eyes.

I know why and if you don't or cannot see it your eyes don't look towards the original history of the issue.

Try again and search a little further.

So why are so many of the streets where they have been placed empty of cars when people living close by could park without restriction .

Research with your eyes.

If, as you contend, the restrictions have been placed to produce revenue, how do they do that when the street is allegedly empty of vehicles?

Where are these allegedly empty streets?

Well my 2p worth

My wife went to Jessops to be induced and I had to park opposite WPH after 9am so ok to park. I checked and had to move for I think 4pm

My son was born at 4:33pm and when I went to the car at 6pm, I had rightly got a parking ticket.

I wrote to the council asking them to reconsider, sending in my sons paperwork saying what time he was born.

I received a letter back saying on this occasion we will recind the fine and congratulated me on the birth of my son.

If, as you contend, the restrictions have been placed to produce revenue, how do they do that when the street is allegedly empty of vehicles?

Where are these allegedly empty streets?

We have gone off topic here now, samssong don't remember and cannot see that in the old days these streets were full of cars using them all day as free parking lots near busy buss lanes to save money on downtown parking.

But this is about parking appeals and why these appeals should or shouldn't be granted.

Difficult issue, where is the border when the driver knows the time limit has exceeded.

This appeal could only be granted as something considerate, I am very curious as how the original appeal was written and if the appeal was asking or demanding this considerate action.

Friendly, kind, inviting language is absolutely necessary to ask someone else to be considerate to overturn the official rules.

The difference between the cases is that if you had appealed the one when your Dad passed away and sent in a letter from the hospital confirming you'd been told to get there immediately, there's every chance you would have been let off.

On the other hand, chemotherapy sessions are generally planned procedures, they aren't normally emergencies.

The person having the procedure was accompanied by a partner who probably could have popped out at some point and moved the car. We all know that when we attend hospital appointments, they can be busy and we might need to be there longer than planned. The vast majority of people plan for this and manage to park without incurring a penalty.

If the chemotherapy patient's partner felt that returning to the car wasn't possible and that their initial challenge to the penalty had been rejected unreasonably, they could have provided supporting evidence from the hospital and gone to the second (Council again) or third (independent adjudicator) stages of the appeals process.

My bold

Thank you I am sure you are right. However, as I say, I made a decision

to take the consequences and to be honest I would have been embarrassed

to ask the hospital to go to the trouble of providing paperwork to get me off paying my dues.

As my Dad used to say "If you can't do the time don't do the crime"

They would of course be driving on the pavement which is an offence, and causing an obstruction (potentially) which is another. And probably in breach of parking regulations which apply throughout the city centre.

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 19:27 ----------

Really? It's private land, not a pavement?

You are allowed to drive over the pavement for a certian distance (think its 15m) to get to land you own.

If it's not a right of way then the council can block a path if they want. All that is relevant is that the council own the land it's on, and in the case of the Town hall I rather suspect that they do. Off of the highway parking regulations are irrelevant.

Off of the highway parking regulations are irrelevant.

Not quite true

A traffic regulation order can apply to land which is not highway.

If land is open and the public can pass and repass over it (like a shop frontage behind the footway, for example, the traffic regulation order can apply up to the building line.

Yep and the main one is revenue!

I have to disagree somewhat. There may be an element of revenue raising, however I have lived and worked in many African, Asian and Middle East countries where there are no restrictions on parking or any other road use for that matter and driving and parking anywhere was always a nightmare.

I believe that if there were no rules in place to make us think about how we drive and where we park we would be in the same situation..

Your partner wasn't going anywhere if the treatment overran. Too difficult to go and pay for more time? You deserve the ticket. No sympathy here I am afraid. There are reasons why parking is enforced.

I posted the story from the Sheffield Star. It wasnt me. :roll:

I posted the story from the Sheffield Star. It wasnt me. :roll:

Quite true and as usual you were looking for any available excuse to have a go at the council. Predictable as ever.

Well my 2p worth

My wife went to Jessops to be induced and I had to park opposite WPH after 9am so ok to park. I checked and had to move for I think 4pm

My son was born at 4:33pm and when I went to the car at 6pm, I had rightly got a parking ticket.

I wrote to the council asking them to reconsider, sending in my sons paperwork saying what time he was born.

I received a letter back saying on this occasion we will recind the fine and congratulated me on the birth of my son.

Congratulations if recent.

Exactly what i would have done and not begrduged the fine either becayse SCC dont know and there are other equally needy people who want to park and have something to do as patients of the hospital.

I have never mentioned parking in the door way which would be impossible due to the ramp and steps .

The spot I mention is on the foot path in front of the Town Hall fronting Pinstone Street where official cars can often be seen parked up .

Are the employees and officials who's illegal parking is ignored by the wardens different to ordinary citizens who would get a ticket immediately if they parked in that spot .

By the way you have still not answered why the side roads on Langsett Road are deemed as clearways because the tram runs on that road but the same does apply on Holme Lane or other main line routes ,

Can you also explain why there is not a warden in sight on match days before kick off when they could advise people on parking (inc away supporters ) but they some how mysteriously appear ten minutes after kick off , if its not to earn more money for the council ,or is it.

I used to live in Hillsborough, and every time a match is on at home, it is chaos. I was always quite pleased when I saw traffic wardens ticketing the people who'd parked on the pavement outside the leisure centre. It clearly isn't a parking space, why do people think they can park there?

I don't think traffic wardens would be useful before the match, they would just constantly be moving people on, only for someone else to park in the same spot.

Clearly there needs to be more suitable parking available near the football ground, but I fail to see where this could be.