Can SCC stoop any lower ?

It is? It's not show as one on the map I have here. Ergo it's perfectly permissible for the council to block it if it needs or merely wants to as it's not part of the highway.

They would of course be driving on the pavement which is an offence, and causing an obstruction (potentially) which is another. And probably in breach of parking regulations which apply throughout the city centre.

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 19:27 ----------

The council own the land. They can therefore drive vehicles onto it if they wish.

Really? It's private land, not a pavement?

"Yeah , because nipping out to check on his parking time should have been the first thing he thought of whilst he was in the hospital supporting his partner who was going through a chemotherapy session for cancer. "

I get what you mean by this. However, when my Dad was dying I got the call from the hospital to attend if I wanted to be there for his last moments.

Of course I went, obviously he couldn't decide to die before my ticket ran out, and I was aware when it ran out. Not wanting to leave him I made the decision to suffer the consequences. My choice, it was well worth the fine not to leave him. And I wasn't even slightly miffed by it, I made the right choice for a loved one.

However, on Christmas eve. late afternoon I nipped into the shop for one item, returned to a parking fine. This time I was really miffed, it being Christmas eve. etc.

I parked illegally and got what I deserved.

I overstayed and got what I deserved :-(

The difference between the cases is that if you had appealed the one when your Dad passed away and sent in a letter from the hospital confirming you'd been told to get there immediately, there's every chance you would have been let off.

On the other hand, chemotherapy sessions are generally planned procedures, they aren't normally emergencies.

The person having the procedure was accompanied by a partner who probably could have popped out at some point and moved the car. We all know that when we attend hospital appointments, they can be busy and we might need to be there longer than planned. The vast majority of people plan for this and manage to park without incurring a penalty.

If the chemotherapy patient's partner felt that returning to the car wasn't possible and that their initial challenge to the penalty had been rejected unreasonably, they could have provided supporting evidence from the hospital and gone to the second (Council again) or third (independent adjudicator) stages of the appeals process.

It is a public footpath

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 13:37 ----------

So why are they not around before a match starts .

How do you know they are not!

Bearing in mind that parking starts around 1300hrs and the size of the area to be covered.

I thought the clearways were there so a broken-down vehicle could be moved out of the path of the tram. There are more parking bays alongside Holme Lane, if memory serves me well, so maybe that's something to do with it?

If the football fans driving to the match didn't leave their brain behind, they would stand a better chance of not getting a ticket...

Yeah , because nipping out to check on his parking time should have been the first thing he thought of whilst he was in the hospital supporting his partner who was going through a chemotherapy session for cancer.

Your partner wasn't going anywhere if the treatment overran. Too difficult to go and pay for more time? You deserve the ticket. No sympathy here I am afraid. There are reasons why parking is enforced.

Your partner wasn't going anywhere if the treatment overran. Too difficult to go and pay for more time? You deserve the ticket. No sympathy here I am afraid. There are reasons why parking is enforced.

No need to worry about Penistone999, he was too busy buying hooky fags from criminals and funding slavery and terrorism

There are reasons why parking is enforced.

Yep and the main one is revenue!

Of course it is that is why there are parking meters and wardens

The spread of these to outer areas proves this beyond doubt.

Of course it is that is why there are parking meters and wardens

The spread of these to outer areas proves this beyond doubt.

The reason meters came to outer areas had nothing to do with fundraising. It was done for other reasons, do a little research.

The reason meters came to outer areas had nothing to do with fundraising. It was done for other reasons, do a little research.

So why are so many of the streets where they have been placed empty of cars when people living close by could park without restriction .

Research with your eyes.

No it isn't.

Sadly motorists can't be trusted to park sensibly and unfortunately many need to be reminded of their responsibilities.

There is ample evidence of what happens when motorists are left to their own devices without any threat of enforcement. See the link in post #33