London trip advice please

Going to London in April to see Joe Bonamassa at the Albert hall , going to the museums and a couple of shows any recommendations as to where to visit ? We are driving down would it be better to get a hotel out of London center and travel in ? Or pay the higher rates in the center ? Any recommendations on accommodation ? I always find it better to go on recommendations ☺etc many thanks

It would be better to not drive down.

We use the Guoman Tower Hotel, lovely place and central for things.Sorry couldn't comment on parking as we go by coach and then use taxis to get round. Enjoy your trip.

Is driving in London really that bad ? I haven't been since 1985 lol

---------- Post added 29-12-2016 at 15:50 ----------

we use the guoman tower hotel, lovely place and central for things.sorry couldn't comment on parking as we go by coach and then use taxis to get round. Enjoy your trip.

£1650 ?,...............

Guoman is a decent hotel. If you have windows 7 and put on the UK backgrounds then the Tower Bridge shot is from the fifth floor of the hotel....

Trains from Sheffield to London are relatively quick (just over 2 hours) and you won't need a car once you are in London, so I also agree that unless there is a specific reason to I wouldn't drive down.

Guoman is a decent hotel. If you have windows 7 and put on the UK backgrounds then the Tower Bridge shot is from the fifth floor of the hotel....

I'm not paying £1650 for somewhere to get my head down for 7 nights

Hello, if you get chance visit the Shard make sure it is a clear day and it is brilliant you see nearly all of London its great !

I'd get a train down to central London from here - a cab to affordable hotel (with a car park) late at at night in that there London won't be cheap.

I'm not paying £1650 for somewhere to get my head down for 7 nights

What did you expect - it's central London. Things tend to cost a fair bit.

You asked for recommendations - I gave them. If you don't like them there's no need to be snotty about it. The Guoman is a good hotel, central location close to the City which is why I use it. If you want to pay less find something less upmarket or go commandeer a park bench.

I usually drive down - unless I am travelling solo or have booked months in advance, it is much cheaper than multiple train tickets and gives me added flexibility. Despite what some say, I have never found it particularly stressful either (and that includes driving into central London).

One option I have done a few times is driving to either Burnt Oak or Edgware tube stations, parking for free in those residential neighbourhoods and then got the tube into London. Saves potential hassle of driving in central London, parking is free or cheap and it gives you a good getaway early the next morning. Alternatively there is a budget hotel close to Burnt Oak which saves a lot of money as against central hotels and is easy to travel to, being just off the M1.

If in doubt, Travelodge if you're on a budget. Generally cheap, generally clean.