Catweazle family

he lived at either 6 or 8 gypsy road gardens. opposite my nan. we used to see giant haystacks there all the time, he was scary but a lovely bloke. catweazles daughter was a bit older than me so we weren't friends but it was cool to see him most saturdays when we visited my nans after just watching him on the telly. :)

hi, just came across this post about catweazle and as i went to kingmead high i can confirm that i had a science teacher called mr meredith that we thought was catweazle, it must have been a school story that became a local truth, I only realised this after just seeing that his real name was gary cooper, you have all ruined a 20 year claim to fame for me. lol .

Hi all..

I am working on behalf of one of Gary's daughters who would like to be back in contact with his family. I notice that Steven is a member here as sasysteve1 however i cant contact him until i have posted 5 times.... So, sorry for the dul posts that will follow!

Many thanks

LC

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but too am looking for information. I am looking for information on a lost relative, my grandmother who is believed to have been a girlfriend/wife of catweazle and lived with him in London. She was born Clara Stephens, but went by the name Clare, she married my grandfather by the surname of Harrison and we believed after they divorced she became a Marriott. Does anyone have any information on this, it would be very much appreciated! 

I've been researching the family trees of a few of my favourite wrestlers from the 1970s and 80s. Here is what I have found out about Catweazle. Although I believe it is all correct, I may have made mistakes, so please don't rely on any of it as gospel.

Catweazle was born as Garry John Cooper in Armthorpe on the 9th October 1937 to Gladys Cooper (1916-2002) who was not married at the time.

In 1938 Gladys married Alec Lambert (1903-1948) and there were five children from that marriage. I believe at least three have died since 2009. Since Garry was not given the Lambert surname after his mother's marriage, I guess Alex Lambert was not his father.

In 1959, 11 years after the death of her first husband, Gladys married Kenneth Greaves (1920-1976) and there were two children from that marriage, though one of them was born in 1956.

Garry John Cooper married in 1961 and may had as many as four children from that marriage.

Garry John Cooper died of cancer in London on the 19th March 1992 and was buried (or cremated?) at the Camberwell New Cemetery and Crematorium on the 19th June 1992 (this two month delay seems unlikely, but that seems to be what the records say).

Edited by JonOxford

Hello gaz.

I knew Alan very well he taught me how to swim, I was at the Park baths on City road. Did you know Tim Lomas? He used to partner Alan when they was a tag team wrestling called the silent ones. Tim lived on the Woodthorpe and went in the Richmond Hotel. I haven't seen Alan for many years now hope he is well.  Regards Alan