Jumped a red light

that is true, but if you never jump a amber/red light again then in my view it's justified, if it doesn't stop you and they keep making money off you then there is a break down in the system somewhere, the fines are supposed to be a deterrent. i have also gone through a red/amber light by mistake before and have been more careful since then. I fi got fined and points i would def be very carefull not to do it again

Mod Note. Because i'm in a good mood today, i've cleaned up this thread without having to issue any bans, but be warned. Anymore swearing, goading or general self- righteous indignation from posters will incur my wrath. Thanks.

there is at least a 5 second delay from the amber -red form one side to the green on the other side

Not on a pedestrian crossing there isn't. I cross over the one outside my house several times a day and 9 times out of 10 a car doesn't stop when they see the amber and goes through on red. Thankfully I'm one of the pedestrians that doesn't have my headphones in and blindly crosses as soon as the red light goes on, but one day someone will, they'll get hit and it'll be the driver's fault. (This isn't aimed at anyone specifically its just a general point)

jog on son im a self confessed good driver. just sometimes take the odd chance. i have had my rant now, so if i have ****** you off in any way, please accept my most humble appologies.

Good drivers dont take chances pal - you are OWNED!!!!

No. I did the same thing last week as i had to swerve to avoid a cyclist making a mobile phone call.

Didn't you know that it is now legal to run down cyclist's who are using a mobile.

Didn't you know that it is now legal to run down cyclist's who are using a mobile.

Now you tell me. Gutted.:(

jumping red lights. hmmm. not a good idea. did you not see what happened a few years ago when someone ran a red light and was promptly hit by a tram? a nasty mess

Brummiade, not directed particularily at you but a while ago someone gave me a link to a survey of drivers done a while ago - 80% of drivers believe themselves to be in the top 30% of drivers by ability.

Gives you food for thought, and always makes me wonder how good anyone who preaches about their driving skills actually is...

Link, btw

In my three years living in Sheffield, there's one thing that really stands out about drivers in the city centre:

- RED LIGHTS DONT MEAN A THING, LET ALONE ANYTHING ELSE

I've driven in many other towns/cities in the UK and my experience is that the driving standards in Sheffield are, without doubt, the worst in the country.

Red lights - They mean go dont they?

Box junctions - There to be filled surely?

Part time bus lanes - Yes, lets all queue in one lane for no good reason!

Lane discipline - What are these white lines and words for?

No place is perfect, and I know some driving instructors post on here, but seriously, the place is brimming with horrorific drivers.

I was driving my friend home earlier, and he informed me that they are soon going to stop traffic turning right at the traffic lights between Wards Brewery and Kwik Fit on Ecclesall Road (that is traffic turning right from Ecc Rd onto whatever the smaller road is called).

Part of me thought, "How stupid - the Moore Street roundabout is busy enough as it is, without all this extra traffic being forced upto it."

However, another part thought "Well if people can't understand the basic concept of the red light meaning stop (which they clearly dont), then in the interests of safety, this is the right decision"

Granted, they could use a filter light, but then we know they enjoy making life difficult for motorists here anyway (Woodseats, Meadowhead anyone...).

But i'm digressing. RED LIGHTS MEAN STOP and far too many drivers using this city don't seem to have grasped that.

I remember when there was that huge traffic jam in town in November I think - the one caused by the broken down bus. I was in it for over three hours whenever it was, but the broken down bus was just one of the causes. What was the other?

Stupid and inconsiderate drivers blocking junctions and roundabouts so nobody could move anywhere and people trying to queue jump, causing jams behind them when they cant get in.

In my letter to the Star, which was printed, I raised the point about bad driving being a factor. But of course, they didnt print that part, they were only interested in the part that slated the crap road network, or in other letters, slating First.

There are many things I like about Sheffield and it was my first choice for uni. I'm glad to be here, but to coin a Family Guy phrase - the situation regarding the road infrastructure and drivers here "really grinds my gears".

Think about it.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I agree - you should be able to run red lights with impunity :loopy:

[mbatey]

Cyclists do it all the time.

In my three years living in Sheffield, there's one thing that really stands out about drivers in the city centre:

- RED LIGHTS DONT MEAN A THING, LET ALONE ANYTHING ELSE

I've driven in many other towns/cities in the UK and my experience is that the driving standards in Sheffield are, without doubt, the worst in the country.

After driven through many different towns and cities in the UK whilst working country wide, I've not found the driving standards any worse in Sheffield than any other towns or cities to be honest, driving standards country wide have become poor in my opinion.

The main factor with Sheffield drivers is shear frustration, compounded by loopy traffic planners and poor road networks, not to mention the 1000's of traffic lights in and around Sheffield so statistically you're going to see more red light jumpers.

Finally how do you know you're a model driver yourself ? Is your rant because you cant hack driving in a large city yourself ?

After driven through many different towns and cities in the UK whilst working country wide, I've not found the driving standards any worse in Sheffield than any other towns or cities to be honest, driving standards country wide have become poor in my opinion.

The main factor with Sheffield drivers is shear frustration, compounded by loopy traffic planners and poor road networks, not to mention the 1000's of traffic lights in and around Sheffield so statistically you're going to see more red light jumpers.

Finally how do you know you're a model driver yourself ? Is your rant because you cant hack driving in a large city yourself ?

:hihi: Granted i'm from a small town, where driving is easier, but I have no doubt that I can 'hack' it in the big scary nasty monstrous cities. No driver is perfect, but I am certainly competent and courteous.

If it was up to me, i'd make people have part of their driving test in a city because there's many people who simply can't 'hack' the conditions.

You're right though, the increasing lunacy of Sheffield's network is annoying people and I think the council must have some kind of special deal with the traffic light manufacturers because we cant get enough of the buggers!

However, selfish and stupid driving can and does happen everywhere else. Its just worse here.