People are offended at everything?

The program was funny, because the character played by Rudolph Walker always had the last laugh over the character played by Jack Smethurst.

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 15:51 ----------

Unbelievable anyone could seriously be offended.

I am.

The singer Will Young puts it perfectly:

If a young person, growing up gay, constantly hears the word being used to refer to something that's disliked, useless or stupid, they are quite naturally going to feel that reflects on them. They are going to feel disliked, useless and stupid. And young gay people have enough to deal with already. Look at the statistics: 23% of gay or bisexual young people have tried to take their own lives and 56% have self-harmed. This isn't inconsequential squabbling over the use of an adjective. No one is looking to fetter freedom of expression. This is about stopping a new generation of gay people from growing up in a climate of persecution and ostracism.

I am.

Are you gay or just jumping on the bandwagon? None of my gay friends were offended but some people do like to play the offense card as though it gives them some special privilege or something.

I am.

The singer Will Young puts it perfectly:

If a young person, growing up gay, constantly hears the word being used to refer to something that's disliked, useless or stupid, they are quite naturally going to feel that reflects on them. They are going to feel disliked, useless and stupid. And young gay people have enough to deal with already. Look at the statistics: 23% of gay or bisexual young people have tried to take their own lives and 56% have self-harmed. This isn't inconsequential squabbling over the use of an adjective. No one is looking to fetter freedom of expression. This is about stopping a new generation of gay people from growing up in a climate of persecution and ostracism.

That would be the same Will Young, who got his knickers in a twist after criticism about his dancing and quit the program.

Are you gay or just jumping on the bandwagon? None of my gay friends were offended but some people do like to play the offense card as though it gives them some special privilege or something.

Why would it matter if I were gay or not? And I'm not jumping on any bandwagon.

That would be the same Will Young, who got his knickers in a twist after criticism about his dancing and quit the program.

Yes, and? Does that negate the point he was making about pejorative use of the word 'gay'?

Yes, and? Does that negate the point he was making about pejorative use of the word 'gay'?

It makes him a Drama Queen, which any gay person is, if they are offended by Richard Hammond's joke.

Why would it matter if I were gay or not? And I'm not jumping on any bandwagon.

Ah so you are getting offended on behalf of others?

That is quite sad you know. Especially when as I said none of my gay friends were bothered. Still, this is the special snowflake generation.

What has the fact that Will Young quit Strictly Come Dancing got to do with his comments about the term gay being constantly used to mean lame or bad?

Does the fact he quit strictly mean that isn't true?

It makes him a Drama Queen, which any gay person is, if they are offended by Richard Hammond's joke.

I'm pointing out how the use of language seeps into the subconscious. It fuels people's perception of gay people as wrong or bad doesn't make me a drama queen. It just means that I'm being honest and thoughtful about the effects of language.

Would you call someone who you think is being tight fisted 'a Jew'?

Ah so you are getting offended on behalf of others?

That is quite sad you know. Especially when as I said none of my gay friends were bothered. Still, this is the special snowflake generation.

I am gay.

Edited by Mister M

I'm pointing out how the use of language seeps into the subconscious. It fuels people's perception of gay people as wrong or bad doesn't make me a drama queen. It just means that I'm being honest and thoughtful about the effects of language.

I'd be more likely to call someone who is tight fisted a 'Scot' than a 'Jew' Will Young is a Drama Queen in my opinion and so are you. It was just a joke !

I am gay.

You could have just said that when I asked you first time.

So good for you, you are gay. You are still jumping on the 'offense' bandwagon though.

I am gay.

I agree completely, and the quote you posted by Will Young earlier sums it up pretty well.

No wonder there is such a high rate of suicide and depression amongst gay people, particularly young gay people, when the term 'gay' is banded about at school and on TV to all the time to mean bad, lame, stupid etc etc.

If you hear 'that's gay' all the time to mean 'that's lame' and you know that you're gay, it doesn't make you feel great.

People trying to argue that gay people are 'drama queens' for pointing that out should quite frankly be ashamed of themselves.

What has the fact that Will Young quit Strictly Come Dancing got to do with his comments about the term gay being constantly used to mean lame or bad?

It could be argued that gays stole the word gay in any case.

They hijacked it and changed its meaning. It used to mean happy.

Now they are getting in a tizzy because the word Gay now means more than just homosexual. It can also mean lame or rubbish. They should get over it and themselves.