Opticians to help with prescription glasses question

Sorry mate, I knew someone would come up with that one ( it had to be you ) but it is a defect that has ran in the family for many years well before the pound shops came on the scene.

What? Sense?! :hihi:

(p.s. read again, I did point out I was selectively bolding part of your post - in jest :D)

-

I agree obviously that one should look for a good price, however, my limit would be exceeded by going to poundland for my specs.

Sorry mate, I knew someone would come up with that one ( it had to be you ) but it is a defect that has ran in the family for many years well before the pound shops came on the scene.

Why did it have to me? :hihi:

I wear cheap reading glasses too.

In theory all glasses can make your eyes worse.

The reason people need reading glasses is due to the eye muscle no longer being able to work efficiently. Imagine now wearing glasses, so your eyes no longer need to work as hard.

If muscles are not used, they become weaker, so stronger glasses are needed. I will be glad if someone can say I am wrong.

I also having prescription reading glasses, which I got for free, whilst claiming tax credits.

I`m not sure about that El Cid, but the thought has crossed my mind. Is the eye a muscle though, as you say? Isn`t the cause of not being able to see too well due to a problem with the lense of the eye.

I`m not sure about that El Cid, but the thought has crossed my mind. Is the eye a muscle though, as you say? Isn`t the cause of not being able to see too well due to a problem with the lense of the eye.

It is, but there are muscles around the eye that can squash the lens a bit to change the focal length - that is what you are doing when you screw your eyes up to focus on something. I don't know whether these muscles have to be exercised though to keep them working, their main job is to close your eyes quickly when something is heading for them, to protect them, which they do whether or not we use them the rest of the time.

It is, but there are muscles around the eye that can squash the lens a bit to change the focal length - that is what you are doing when you screw your eyes up to focus on something. I don't know whether these muscles have to be exercised though to keep them working, their main job is to close your eyes quickly when something is heading for them, to protect them, which they do whether or not we use them the rest of the time.

Its so wrong it's not even merely wrong...

1. Lack of compensation in the eye due to presbyopia is because the lens hardens due to lack of alpha crystallin, and the ciliatory muscles in the ciliatory body are not able to distort it sufficiently in consequence.

2. You don't screw you eyes up to focus - that's a different reaction to focussing. The corrugator supercilii is to close the eyes to excess sunlight which aids close focus due to DOF effects.

3. The muscles to close the eyelid mainly the orbicularis oculi, and to open the levator palpebrae superioris muscle are not involved in focussing the eye

4. The wrong spectacles do results in things being blurry which results in overuse of the ciliary musculature, and result in asthenopia which can result in further complications. Albeit rare these do have a deleterious effect on eyesight.

Theres also a good reason for spending the £39 at Boots or wherever - these people tend to know what they are talking about rather than a random internet forum full of people spouting rubbish.

---------- Post added 28-12-2016 at 11:44 ----------

It's both.

The lens in the eye is suspended by the ciliary body, which has a muscle that distorts the lens. It squashes the lens from the edge, making it fatter and letting you focus closer.

As you age the lens changes and gets harder, so the muscle cannot deform it as much and the near focus point moves farther out from the eye.

1. Lack of compensation in the eye due to presbyopia is because the lens hardens due to lack of alpha crystallin, and the ciliatory muscles in the ciliatory body are not able to distort it sufficiently in consequence.

2. You don't screw you eyes up to focus - that's a different reaction to focussing. The corrugator supercilii is to close the eyes to excess sunlight which aids close focus due to DOF effects.

3. The muscles to close the eyelid mainly the orbicularis oculi, and to open the levator palpebrae superioris muscle are not involved in focussing the eye

4. The wrong spectacles do results in things being blurry which results in overuse of the ciliary musculature, and result in asthenopia which can result in further complications. Albeit rare these do have a deleterious effect on eyesight.

Theres also a good reason for spending the £39 at Boots or wherever - these people tend to know what they are talking about rather than a random internet forum full of people spouting rubbish.

I stand corrected then Obelix. I had strayed from what I knew to what I thought I knew, apologies.

after having 'ready readers' from such fine emporiums as poundland I found that I needed proper reading glasses.

Boots fitted me with proper spectacles that I've had a couple of years now and they are a world away from the £1 models, they are clear and they are perfectly to my prescription.

I'm sure you can find a proper opticians that has an offer of 2 pairs at a discount somewhere.

I got 2 pairs from Boots which enables me to leave one pair at work all the time.

money well spent !

hi ive been perscribed reading glasses but im really short on cash and ive seen some in tk max for a fiver but they say 1.00+ , or 2.00+ , 2.50+ 3 and 3.50+

ive seen some i really like but knowing what these mean as to what my pescription says in another matter , boots want £39 which im not going to pay.

on my perscription it says..... single vision lenses , anti reflective coating ,

sphere +0.75 os

distance acuty 6/6 ns left

acuty 6/6 ns right

thats all it says for someone that understands it:help:

Well if £39 is not money well spent on keeping your eyesight in order, then you ought to think about what may happen in later years. Get your hand in your pocket it will be money well spent,

Edited by therascal

---------- Post added 28-12-2016 at 11:44 ----------

It's both.

The lens in the eye is suspended by the ciliary body, which has a muscle that distorts the lens. It squashes the lens from the edge, making it fatter and letting you focus closer.

As you age the lens changes and gets harder, so the muscle cannot deform it as much and the near focus point moves farther out from the eye.

Interesting to know. I am mildly short sighted (-1.75 in the worst eye) but also have astigmatism, so I wear glasses or lenses full time. I can't even read my work computer without them :(

When I get older, will age related presbyopia send my eyes the other way so my vision is more normal, I wonder? Or will I need varifocals? Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

thanks for all the advise , i ended up going to specsavers and buying a set at £25 , can see great with them now , like hd.:hihi: