Opticians to help with prescription glasses question

hi ive been perscribed reading glasses but im really short on cash and ive seen some in tk max for a fiver but they say 1.00+ , or 2.00+ , 2.50+ 3 and 3.50+

ive seen some i really like but knowing what these mean as to what my pescription says in another matter , boots want £39 which im not going to pay.

on my perscription it says..... single vision lenses , anti reflective coating ,

sphere +0.75 os

distance acuty 6/6 ns left

acuty 6/6 ns right

thats all it says for someone that understands it:help:

The ones you have seen for a fiver are just magnifying glasses and the numbers on them are something to do with the amount of magnification.I use these sort of glasses when I mess with the car or do other jobs, quite simply because I am always breaking them and proper ones are expensive.Poundland have them for a quid of course.Go in there and try them.Read something which has really small print and try all the different numbers until you find the number which gives you the clearest vision.Once you have done this you can then buy these type of glasses wherever you like, as those with the same number will have the same magnification whatever brand you buy.The Poundland glasses are equally as good as the more expensive ones.

Wilko do a fairly good range for a fiver, a lot stronger frame and better than the ones at Poundland.

Do as ivan suggests and go try some out first.

Edited by apelike

Thats great .i just want to be spending daft money for reading glasses .just wondered if the numbers on my form ment owt .cheers

+ 1.00 should be alright for your + 0.75 prescription, it's only 0.25 diopter out. Is it + 0.75 for both eyes? Take something small to read to the shop and try them out. Does your prescription have a value for Cyl or Cylinder? It looks like it doesn't but if it has a cyl of 0.75 or more the ready mades might not be so clear.

+ 1.00 should be alright for your + 0.75 prescription, it's only 0.25 diopter out. Is it + 0.75 for both eyes? Take something small to read to the shop and try them out. Does your prescription have a value for Cyl or Cylinder? It looks like it doesn't but if it has a cyl of 0.75 or more the ready mades might not be so clear.

I got a similar prescription, but I didnt bother for that small amount. I use 2.5 or 3 x these days.

Hate carrying glasses everywhere, but then you end up without being able to read.

I got a monocle from ebay, for the days that I dont want to carry glasses ;)

hi ive been perscribed reading glasses but im really short on cash and ive seen some in tk max for a fiver but they say 1.00+ , or 2.00+ , 2.50+ 3 and 3.50+

ive seen some i really like but knowing what these mean as to what my pescription says in another matter , boots want £39 which im not going to pay.

on my perscription it says..... single vision lenses , anti reflective coating ,

sphere +0.75 os

acuty 6/6 ns right

You only have one pair of eyes and £39 is very cheap, why buy rubbish when you really need to see.

You only have one pair of eyes and £39 is very cheap, why buy rubbish when you really need to see.

It doesn't damage your eyes to have the wrong glasses, it just means you can't see so well. That's important for driving but not really for reading.

[quote=jamesey;11559831)

sphere +0.75 os

acuty 6/6 ns right

Sounds like both eyes are the same so if they are just for reading get yourself some cheap ones from poundshop or somewhere.

I've been using pound shop glasses for reading for years but now I'm older one eye is a lot worse than the other but after an eye test I bought the opticians reading glasses at £25 so I think £39 is a bit much for standard reading glasses.

It doesn't damage your eyes to have the wrong glasses, it just means you can't see so well. That's important for driving but not really for reading.

Still I can see lazarus point, I think considering how precious our vision is, it's not something I'd really want to use poundland or SF for answers. (no disrespect to your answer Bob which might be absolutely right, or to SF members :))

To be fair, if you look at this next response, and if I slightly selectively bold a bit of it: :hihi:

Sounds like both eyes are the same so if they are just for reading get yourself some cheap ones from poundshop or somewhere.

I've been using pound shop glasses for reading for years but now I'm older one eye is a lot worse than the other but after an eye test I bought the opticians reading glasses at £25 so I think £39 is a bit much for standard reading glasses.

Still I can see lazarus point, I think considering how precious our vision is, it's not something I'd really want to use poundland or SF for answers. (no disrespect to your answer Bob which might be absolutely right, or to SF members :))

To be fair, if you look at this next response, and if I slightly selectively bold a bit of it: :hihi:

Sorry mate, I knew someone would come up with that one ( it had to be you ) but it is a defect that has ran in the family for many years well before the pound shops came on the scene.

I wear cheap reading glasses too.

In theory all glasses can make your eyes worse.

The reason people need reading glasses is due to the eye muscle no longer being able to work efficiently. Imagine now wearing glasses, so your eyes no longer need to work as hard.

If muscles are not used, they become weaker, so stronger glasses are needed. I will be glad if someone can say I am wrong.

I also having prescription reading glasses, which I got for free, whilst claiming tax credits.