Is it time Britain had a referendum on the Monarchy

Keep the Monarchy  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the Monarchy

• NO
    • Yes

Just type "monarchy tourism revenue" into Google, loads of results giving that figure.

That £500m is "Tourism revenue connected to the monarchy and it's heritage". Since getting rid of the monarchy wouldn't make Windsor Castle, etc. disappear it's not reasonable to attribute all of that revenue to the existence of a monarchy. The question is how much of that tourism income is related having a monarchy after you've taken the heritage aspects away.

Just type "monarchy tourism revenue" into Google, loads of results giving that figure.

Yup someone made something up one time and then the rest of the internet repeated it over and over, it's not uncommon.

You actually look into it and it's filled with so many holes and assumptions to be pretty much a worthless claim.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Yup someone made something up one time and then the rest of the internet repeated it over and over, it's not uncommon.

You actually look into it and it's filled with so many holes and assumptions to be pretty much a worthless claim.

I'm not sure where this £500m figure comes from either - I know it is repeated in a lot of articles, although don't know the source.

Regarding tourism - I agree that some of the tourism income that is meant to stem from the Royal Family wouldn't disappear if we had no monarchy, as others have pointed out people would still come to visit Windsor etc the same way people visit Chatsworth of Alnwick.

However, people aren't mentioning the value of special occasions, such as the uplift in tourism due to that occasion, and the selling or merchandise etc etc.

Brand Finance PLC did a study that said the estimated uplift value for the Diamond Jubilee Year was worth £324 million. That was on top of what they estimated to be £600 million of annual and recurring revenue from the monarchy.

People would have specifically come to the UK for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations that wouldn't have come otherwise. They would have bought specific Diamond Jubilee tourist tat they wouldn't have bought other wise. That would also be true of the Royal Wedding etc..

They value the 'brand' of the Royal Family at £44 billion, although I'm not sure how you quantify the value of a brand.

http://brandfinance.com/images/upload/brand_finance_monarchy_press_release_2012.pdf

I'm not sure where this £500m figure comes from either - I know it is repeated in a lot of articles, although don't know the source.

Regarding tourism - I agree that some of the tourism income that is meant to stem from the Royal Family wouldn't disappear if we had no monarchy, as others have pointed out people would still come to visit Windsor etc the same way people visit Chatsworth of Alnwick.

However, people aren't mentioning the value of special occasions, such as the uplift in tourism due to that occasion, and the selling or merchandise etc etc.

Brand Finance PLC did a study that said the estimated uplift value for the Diamond Jubilee Year was worth £324 million. That was on top of what they estimated to be £600 million of annual and recurring revenue from the monarchy.

People would have specifically come to the UK for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations that wouldn't have come otherwise. They would have bought specific Diamond Jubilee tourist tat they wouldn't have bought other wise. That would also be true of the Royal Wedding etc..

They value the 'brand' of the Royal Family at £44 billion, although I'm not sure how you quantify the value of a brand.

http://brandfinance.com/images/upload/brand_finance_monarchy_press_release_2012.pdf

£44bn is a lot. Could we sell the Saxe-Coburgs to a republic looking to revert and buy something shiny with the money? Maybe the Germans would be interested?

According to calendar or was it look north.. we'd be better off. Maybe if you lived in Windsor or London then there maybe a drop in tourism.. maybe. I doubt it would affect the North negatively at all Robin

We estimate that visitors drawn here by the appeal of our culture and heritage spend some £4.5 billion annually (out of a total overseas visitor spend of £17bn). Around £500 million of that figure can be attributed to attractions and events with a connection to Britain’s monarchs past and present i.e.royal heritage.

That's from:

As the national tourism agency – a non-departmental public body funded by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS), VisitBritain/VisitEngland plays a unique role in building England’s tourism product, raising Britain’s profile worldwide, increasing the volume and value of tourism exports and developing England and Britain’s visitor economy.

£44bn is a lot. Could we sell the Saxe-Coburgs to a republic looking to revert and buy something shiny with the money? Maybe the Germans would be interested?

Apparently that figure has increased to £57billion since 2012 (again, not at all sure what goes into finding the value of a brand). They also worked out that their net contribution to the economy (in 2015) was £1.155 billion.

That apparently included the uplift to tourism (some of which I'm sure could be argued away) but also the premium that is gained from people buying products with a Royal Warrant.

I think we'd have more luck selling the Royal Family to the Russians - apparently Putin and some other diplomats want to bring back Royalty to Russia, and I believe our lot are distant cousins.

Somewhat like the all the monarchy are "germans" claim :)

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 15:20 ----------

According to calendar or was it look north.. we'd be better off. Maybe if you lived in Windsor or London then there maybe a drop in tourism.. maybe. I doubt it would affect the North negatively at all Robin

Ahh, Calendar and Look Leeds, those bastions of the truth :)

No monarchy = A loss of £500m to the tourism industry per annum.....Therefore why change anything?

FlamingJimmy in post 122 explained quite well why wouldn't be the case.

FlamingJimmy in post 122 explained quite well why wouldn't be the case.

And the research I linked to showed why just looking at tourism income is a rather simplistic way of looking at things.

You need to take into account the 'uplift' value of special events. Things that would not happen were we not to have a Royal Family. The Diamond Jubilee is estimated to have bought in an extra £324 million pounds - either through increased tourism because of that event, or because of selling specific Jubilee merchandise etc.

The £324 million figure was on top of the £600 million they worked out were recurring annual benefits from the Royal Family. You can probably rightly argue that by losing the Royal Family we wouldn't lose all of the £600 million annual benefit as some of the Royal sites could be turned into other attractions, but we would lose the uplift value from special events.

So the royal family are in the news again as they've a cold. . Is it time for a Republic after Elizabeth hangs up her boots. Or are they worth keeping a bit longer

Seemsthe u.n. still thinks we ought to have a referendum on the issue http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/2122182/Britain-should-get-rid-of-the-monarchy-says-UN.html

No there are enough scroungers on the dole. I like the Queen .

I think we'd have more luck selling the Royal Family to the Russians - apparently Putin and some other diplomats want to bring back Royalty to Russia, and I believe our lot are distant cousins.

Well Philip is related. He is a descendant of the Romanov family and his DNA has been used to identify some of the Romanov's exhumed remains. Putin also believes he is in some way related to the Romanov's as well.