Ex orgreave or handsworth miners

My dad worked at orgreave and my step dad and his two sons worked at handsworth until they both closed. step dad had accident at orgreave and lost his leg at orgreave he transferred there when handsworth closed after that he worked in managers baths

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 14:30 ----------

Any one else that worked at these pits has any memories you may know my dad his name was Taffy he worked at pits 48 year

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 15:38 ----------

Is there no one else that worked at either mine would be lovely to here from someone

---------- Post added 29-12-2016 at 14:50 ----------

Didnt no one work at these mines I know it's a long time since they closed but come on

Edited by alba
Wrong spelling

My dad worked at orgreave and my step dad and his two sons worked at handsworth until they both closed. step dad had accident at orgreave and lost his leg at orgreave he transferred there when handsworth closed after that he worked in managers baths

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 14:30 ----------

Any one else that worked at these pits has any memories you may know my dad his name was Taffy he worked at pits 48 year

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 15:38 ----------

Is there no one else that worked at either mine would be lovely to here from someone

---------- Post added 29-12-2016 at 14:50 ----------

Didnt no one work at these mines I know it's a long time since they closed but come on

You don't say how long ago they worked there, my dad worked at both these pits many many years ago , he was what was called a ripper and was buried 2 or 3 times but was lucky he was never badly injured. His name was Bill (collier) Smith he also worked at Nunnery pit

My dad Taff worked in the pits for 48 year orgreave till it closed then thurcroft then he was a contractor in pits

My wife's grandad worked at Handsworth he was the carpenter his name was Norman Nicholson and he had a pit cottage on Waverly lane. He suffered with a bad back due to a work related injury and was sick for a long period before his retirement from the NCB. I have a miners lamp he gave me which he kept in the outside lav to stop he pipes freezing up!!! Not sure it was from Handsworth.

My Father in law also had a connection to Orgreve as a shutter on the railway.

After the pit closed me and the wife often walked the dog around the site, sad to see what was once such a busy place abandoned and ruined.

Long time ago now 40 odd years

My Grandad Fred Lindley worked there for 47 years until he retired in 1981

Edited by Kristy

My Grandad Fred Lindley worked there for 47 years