Best Sausages In Sheffield

I also went to Border View farm a few months ago, not impressed at all

You lot are making me hungry, you can't get decent butcher made sausage over here, no pork pies ( only frozen), no decent bacon, it's all streaky here. No wonder I put on weight when I come over, I have fish and chips 3 times a week when I come lol:D

C'mon Mr.T. What about 'Canadian bacon' -or is that ham ?- and the fish has to be Cod from New England or Nova Scotia.

C'mon Mr.T. What about 'Canadian bacon' -or is that ham ?- and the fish has to be Cod from New England or Nova Scotia.

All salt water fish in Toronto is frozen, as we are 500 miles from the East coast, and Cod and Haddock do not freeze well. Halibut freezes better and is the staple in fish and chip shops here, not my favourite at all. Canadian " peameal" bacon is OK but not a patch on English bacon or ham.

Edited by TORONTONY

I'm glad you and other people here enjoy Crawshaw's meats, but I've never understood the fuss. I've tried them - but only once. We found them (and their other meats) poor quality with chewy skins. Had a Crawshaw's gammon steak and it was rubbish - fatty and tough.

Our local grocer at Stannington stocked Chris Beech's sausages for quite a while as she said they had a much higher meat content than Crawshaw's. We tried their shop on South Road and they stock some great stuff, IMO. Had some 'Kevin's pies' from their last week. Great.

Also, - if you can get to Bradfield farmer's market, Bradfield Meats sausages are usually very nice. The ones at the Our Cow Molly shop at Dungworth are also great, if a bit pricey. Their Venison sausages are very tasty.

I'm glad you and other people here enjoy Crawshaw's meats, but I've never understood the fuss. I've tried them - but only once. We found them (and their other meats) poor quality with chewy skins. Had a Crawshaw's gammon steak and it was rubbish - fatty and tough.

Our local grocer at Stannington stocked Chris Beech's sausages for quite a while as she said they had a much higher meat content than Crawshaw's. We tried their shop on South Road and they stock some great stuff, IMO. Had some 'Kevin's pies' from their last week. Great.

Also, - if you can get to Bradfield farmer's market, Bradfield Meats sausages are usually very nice. The ones at the Our Cow Molly shop at Dungworth are also great, if a bit pricey. Their Venison sausages are very tasty.

Re Crawshaws, are you referring to John Crawshaw who provide quality meats from a small number of outlets, or Crawshaw's who sell 2 chickens for a fiver and are the equivalent of the PoundBakery?

Re Crawshaws, are you referring to John Crawshaw who provide quality meats from a small number of outlets, or Crawshaw's who sell 2 chickens for a fiver and are the equivalent of the PoundBakery?

I was referring to the Crawshaw's who are now supplying pies and sausages in our local grocer and who supply the Rhinegold Nursery cafe on Loxley Valley Road. I think this is the same butcher as the one who owns the shop in Hillsborough Barracks? We didn't enjoy the meat from these places.

I seem to remember we bought chickens from a butcher of the same name in Sheffield city centre market and they were very nice.

The sausages from Crawshaws in Hillsborough Barracks were good but not exceptional.

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 23:03 ----------

Sure you went to the right place? Never once heard a bad word said about the produce from Border View nor have I ever had anything sub-standard from them.

In fact reading the bold again I am almost certain that either you went to the wrong place or alternatively this is some sort of vendetta against Border View because I have never had a dry sausage from them, the sausage is 100% meat with no grizzle what so ever (which incidentally is one of the reasons why I enjoy them, any grizzle would put me off).....And the skins splitting? Again never had that issue even when grilling and BBQ.

Bare in mind I am of no connection what so ever to border view and I have no reason to promote them what so ever.

Always find it odd when someone gets an excuse in before they are even challenged. Hmmmmmmm..............

The sausages from Crawshaws in Hillsborough Barracks were good but not exceptional.

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 23:03 ----------

We had them from there ages ago - it was the gammon steak I had really put me off and made me wonder what all the fuss was about.

I have to admit to not being a big fan of processed meat in general, but there are some excellent sausages available from places like Beeches and I do enjoy those. As I say, the pies from 'Kevin's Pies' are also definitely worth a try.

Crawshaws on The Moor do breakfast sandwiches, all for £1.50 regardless of whether its a bacon buttie or sausage, bacon & egg.

We've found Morrisons pork and tomato can't be beaten.

We've found Morrisons pork and tomato can't be beaten.

Which Morrisons. I could not find it the last few times I went?

The sausages at Mr Pickles on Abbeydale Road are the best I have had in Sheffield. Second place, Whirlow Hall farm, third place Moss Valley