Which (Wadsley) Bridge

Which bridge does it get it's name from? I think the name predates the railway

and the one at Lepping Lane. Unless I'm wrong? Hillsboro will know?

Edited by Lastyz
clarification

Hi Lastyz - the original Wadsley Bridge was what is now officially known as High Bridge near the Sheffield Wednesday ground (see here for the Wikipedia article) but after the railway was built in the 1840s the focus shifted to the railway bridge. Oddly enough, this map dating from around the 1880s shows the original bridge as "Wadsley Bridge" but next to it are "High Bridge Row" and "High Bridge Forge". Note that this map also shows a "Ford" where Leppings Lane Bridge is now - the bridge was built in c. 1891. Apart from the ford for vehicles there were the "lepping stones" (i.e. "leaping" stones), which gave Leppings Lane its name.

Edited by hillsbro

Thank you for that, knew you wouldn't let me down, but it begs the question: If the Wedneday ground is in Wadsley Bridge, where is Owlerton?

There doesn't seem much room between Wardsend, Hillsborough and Wadsley Bridge.

Edited by Lastyz

...where is Owlerton? There doesn't seem much room between Wardsend, Hillsborough and Wadsley Bridge.
Yes indeed, and the borders are not clearly defined. The area around Owlerton Green and St John's Church may be regarded as the centre of Owlerton. This is the impression given by this old map (click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view), and the long-demolished Owlerton Hall stood near the junction of Penistone Road and Bradfield Road.