Blades v Oldham - 26/12/16

Well that was a game of mixed feelings really if the truth be said.

Our opponents played with pretty much 2 solid banks of 5 men and credit to them as it seemed to work for a large part of the game as the game became more of a battle and little footballing opportunities for either side. That said....I don't want to flatter our opponents too much because they weren't that good in all fairness and as the home team we should have been looking to break things up and create more opportunities but we didn't....We only have ourselves to blame for this.

In the second half we came out and looked to get a foot hold in the game and as the half went on we did so. At first it did honestly look like it was going to be one of those afternoons because once we finally began to get on top and create things, the ball just didn't look to be dropping where we wanted it and for a while it felt like it was going to be a frustrating afternoon.

The turning point being when the best striker in the league did what he did best and knocked in another trademark, Billy Sharp, "Poachers" goal....Once we began to realise again that should we get the ball into the dangers zone, 9 times out of 10 Billy will at least get on the end of it and again 9 times out of 10 he will hit the target......That is when things will began to happen again....

Another note has to go for Leon Clarke who might have started slowly, however made a huge impact and in all fairness turned to game hugely in our favour in the end......He is a real handful and he brought another dimension into our game by dragging defenders out of position and creating space and chances......Should he be able to get fit and replicate that on a regular basis, then he will soon start to create and score goals....Fantastic little cameo from him.

All in all, started a bit frustrating with little football being played however in the second half we managed to get a grip of things and all in all we deserved the win. Far from prolific however second half showing signs of the positive Sheffield United that we have seen in the first half of the season.

With Northampton up next and Scunthorpe playing Bolton away....We could potentially see us top the table next week so it is a massive 3 points when considering the bigger picture!

UTB! Come On You Maggies!

Our opponents played with pretty much 2 solid banks of 5 men and credit to them as it seemed to work for a large part of the game as the game became more of a battle and little footballing opportunities for either side. That said....I don't want to flatter our opponents too much because they weren't that good in all fairness and as the home team we should have been looking to break things up and create more opportunities but we didn't....We only have ourselves to blame for this.

In the second half we came out and looked to get a foot hold in the game and as the half went on we did so. At first it did honestly look like it was going to be one of those afternoons because once we finally began to get on top and create things, the ball just didn't look to be dropping where we wanted it and for a while it felt like it was going to be a frustrating afternoon.

The turning point being when the best striker in the league did what he did best and knocked in another trademark, Billy Sharp, "Poachers" goal....Once we began to realise again that should we get the ball into the dangers zone, 9 times out of 10 Billy will at least get on the end of it and again 9 times out of 10 he will hit the target......That is when things will began to happen again....

Another note has to go for Leon Clarke who might have started slowly, however made a huge impact and in all fairness turned to game hugely in our favour in the end......He is a real handful and he brought another dimension into our game by dragging defenders out of position and creating space and chances......Should he be able to get fit and replicate that on a regular basis, then he will soon start to create and score goals....Fantastic little cameo from him.

All in all, started a bit frustrating with little football being played however in the second half we managed to get a grip of things and all in all we deserved the win. Far from prolific however second half showing signs of the positive Sheffield United that we have seen in the first half of the season.

With Northampton up next and Scunthorpe playing Bolton away....We could potentially see us top the table next week so it is a massive 3 points when considering the bigger picture!

Agree with this, Leon made a positive impact for me. Bit difficult to see in detail though from bottom of the kop looking to Bramall Lane end.

Agree with this, Leon made a positive impact for me. Bit difficult to see in detail though from bottom of the kop looking to Bramall Lane end.

I saw glimpses today of how Clarke successfully played alongside Callum Wilson. He is an intelligent and unselfish player who's movement drags defenders out of position and creates room inside. He challenges for the ball sensibly and honestly and defenders don't like him....In his cameo today I would personally say that he was far more imposing and effective than Done who plays in a similar style.

If he carries on like that then he will play a big part between now and the end of the season that is a certainty!

As for Matt Done.....What has happened to him? I genuinely like him as a player and when he is on song he is fantastic but he's gone downhill again and we can't afford inconsistency!.....Does this spell pretty much the end for him? I can personally feel another striker on the agenda for the January sales.

Also I don't think that we were as effective Midfield today but I think a large part of this was down to Oldham cramping the Midfield up a bit? Duffy managed to create a good bit as per usual but he was the only real stand our for me in the middle of the park.

Edited by green_man

Good win today and good crowd though was in the brothers today and it sounded like being in a morgue,so quiet,it also appears what I thought United look like a one man team,let's hope Sharpe stays fit.

Oldham parked 2 buses today. Not a good match but you can only play as well as the opposites allow you.

Billy Sharp is always a danger if he gets some service. I heard a few United fans today mentioning Huddersfield are in with a bid for him. Have any of you regulars heard anything about this?

Good win today and good crowd though was in the brothers today and it sounded like being in a morgue,so quiet,it also appears what I thought United look like a one man team,let's hope Sharpe stays fit.

This based on the fact that Billy Sharp has been exceptional in the last 2 games and bagged 4 goals? :hihi:

Let's just forget that prior to this both Duffy and Coutts who have been exceptional in recent weeks, both scored two goals in 2 games shall we :hihi:

And let's just disregard the fact that we only have one player in our regular first team squad who is yet to break his duck....And he is a CB. :hihi:

We have scored 42 goals and Sharp has only scored 15 of them and when Sharp went through his dry spell, other players popped up with the goals. :D

Effort though that :hihi:

Attendance:25,821

Very impressive and that's why we're one of the biggest clubs in the country.

I didn't see the first goal that well in the ground because of the bumper crowd and thestanding up. I thought it must have been some sort of daisy cutter across the keeper into the bottom corner....watching the replay just now though! Wow! How wrong was I......Another fantastic finish!...His second was nice and composed as well but I saw that.

Looked a cracker from the back of the kop, where do you sit ?

---------- Post added 26-12-2016 at 21:29 ----------

Ps Enjoying your input Green Man, love your passion for the Blades

---------- Post added 26-12-2016 at 21:30 ----------

Funnily enough didn't have such a good view of the second

A result much expected,, Maggies who. :hihi:

Well done blades 3 more points yet again a frustrating game ,still think we need

To put more crosses in the box ,and learn how to take corners as we are poor just like Leon Clarke how's he get a game get shut and we will be fine well done blade fans almost 26,000

Well done blades 3 more points yet again a frustrating game ,still think we need

To put more crosses in the box ,and learn how to take corners as we are poor just like Leon Clarke how's he get a game get shut and we will be fine well done blade fans almost 26,000

Nice to hear an honest blades opinion,you need to have cover for Sharpe,do you think Lavery is an option?my opinion is Clarke isn't.