AirBnB / Nosiy Neighbour Complaints

Has anyone had issues with noisy AirBnB houses or flats?

The flat directly below ours is on AirBnB and frequently used by large noisy groups. As I type this, there is a ridiculously loud party going on.

I've logged a complaint to AirBnB, but not sure what good it will do in the long run. With an ever changing role-call of guests/tenants, where does the responsibility for behaviour lie?

Is there a noise control team in Sheffield that can be called out to mediate on more immediate problems? We used to have one in London and they were excellent.

The noise team was disbanded if I recall due to lack of funding:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/noise-pollution/domestic.html is the only information on the Council Website.

The only other option is 101...good luck getting them to do anything about it though...

The noise team was disbanded if I recall due to lack of funding:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/noise-pollution/domestic.html is the only information on the Council Website.

The only other option is 101...good luck getting them to do anything about it though...

I thought people might be interested in an update on this.

The gathering mushroomed into a full blown house party with gangs of teenagers roaming around a private gated development. I rang 101 and they advised the activity couldn't be construed as anti-social behaviour as it was confined to a private residence. I pointed out that none of the people involved actually lived in the building and were effectively trespassing, but it cut little ice.

This morning, the communal areas look trashed. And, in what I suspect was a related event, other residents in the area reported police cars chasing youths through the streets around 11pm.

The worst thing about this is it could happen again tonight and as residents, we have very little comeback.

You'll need to report it to the council's environmental health team. The 101 adviser needs some re-training, it doesn't matter one bit if the issue is confined to a private residence.

The following link will give you more information.

http://asbhelp.co.uk/

I would try speaking to the owner of the flat, as surely they won't want their property being trashed and to lose the goodwill of their neighbours.

I've just come back from a weekend away in an AirBnB and other residents of the flats had put notices up asking both renters and owners to be more considerate of permanent residents. You could try doing that?

The gathering mushroomed into a full blown house party with gangs of teenagers roaming around a private gated development. I rang 101 and they advised the activity couldn't be construed as anti-social behaviour as it was confined to a private residence. I pointed out that none of the people involved actually lived in the building and were effectively trespassing, but it cut little ice.

This morning, the communal areas look trashed. And, in what I suspect was a related event, other residents in the area reported police cars chasing youths through the streets around 11pm.

The worst thing about this is it could happen again tonight and as residents, we have very little comeback.

not sure if this will help or not, but some people using AirBnB are actually not supposed to be renting their house/flat out if they have a owner/occupier mortgage:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/02/airbnb-guests-cost-you-your-home-breach-mortgage-terms

Even if it is the case they don't have the relevant buildings insurance and the mortgage company would not have allowed the rental in any case, I don't know whether knowing that would gain you anything. Thought I'd post anyway to make you aware of this information just in case.

not sure if this will help or not, but some people using AirBnB are actually not supposed to be renting their house/flat out if they have a owner/occupier mortgage:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/02/airbnb-guests-cost-you-your-home-breach-mortgage-terms

Even if it is the case they don't have the relevant buildings insurance and the mortgage company would not have allowed the rental in any case, I don't know whether knowing that would gain you anything. Thought I'd post anyway to make you aware of this information just in case.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

It's quite likely the owner is not allowed to be renting the place out on AirBnB and the mortgage company would probably hit the roof if they found out.

Another aspect is the the lease contract for the flat, the managing agent of the flats I live in come down very hard on anyone even advertising on AirBnB let alone actually renting it out as it's against the lease.

I'm beginning to see why they would do this, even though I love using AirBnB when I travel.

Channel 4 did a documentary recently-something on the lines of: Airbnb, Dream or Nightmare.

This covered just what you are experiencing. Might give you some info on how to complain further?

All the best with this.

next time ring 999 and tell the police there is a gang of intruders on private property

next time ring 999 and tell the police there is a gang of intruders on private property

The question by the call handler would then be 'have they forced entry or are they attending a private party?'

The question by the call handler would then be 'have they forced entry or are they attending a private party?'

say , don't know , they are running amok in the property . unfortunately sometimes you have to bend the truth