The five arches

Thanks. Of course I never saw it but from the map that path doesn't seem to be inside the cemetery at all. Here's a detail of a 1947 image from Britain from Above (posted in the Wardsend FaceBook group) showing the two bridges.

Britain from Above

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 00:00 ----------

Can you tell me the date of the map? I am comparing it with this 1905 map (from the same FaceBook thread):

1905 Map

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 00:03 ----------

My memory is obviously going because I find I have asked these questions before and you have answered them :hihi: for which multiple thanks!

Edited by HughW

Hugh - it's interesting to see the "Britain from Above" photo of the white bridge, just as I remember it (I thought maybe you hadn't seen the reply on the other thread). I did wonder, lottiecass, if the white bridge had some connection with the power station; as you say it disappeared soon after the power station closed in 1976. There was also a footbridge across the river from Livesey Street towards the power station, presumably for workers to use, which was also removed after the power station closed.

Hugh - it's interesting to see the "Britain from Above" photo of the white bridge, just as I remember it (I thought maybe you hadn't seen the reply on the other thread). I did wonder, lottiecass, if the white bridge had some connection with the power station; as you say it disappeared soon after the power station closed in 1976. There was also a footbridge across the river from Livesey Street towards the power station, presumably for workers to use, which was also removed after the power station closed.

I would imagine that the white bridge was built to replace the subway under the rail track to maintain a public right of way.

Well, Marion (Mrs Hillsbro) just thinks I'm a harmless old eccentric. :PI was also at KES (1959-66) but don't remember this. Maybe I was planning my next trainspotting trip during that lesson...:)

Having lived (mostly) in Lincolnshire for the past eight years I'll certainly miss Hillsborough when we finally sell our Wadsley bungalow - maybe next year. So many memories! In fact if it's fine next week we'll have a walk down to the Five Arches and through Wardsend Cemetery. Watch this space for some photos!

Hillsbro - I recalled your schooling which is why I mentioned it. I was there a few years after you but, as part of my Art O-level, we had to study architecture and it was covered in that.

Unfortunately, I no longer live near enough to Sheffield to join you on your walk but I hope that those that do enjoy revisiting some of the old haunts.

TWhites - it's good to know that we are both KES alumni! It was and still is a very good school. And we still learn things via the Forum - it was only when I looked up tie bars and plates that I found the website of the firm that still makes them. If we manage our walk by the Five Arches next week I'll photograph the tie plates.

TWhites - it's good to know that we are both KES alumni! It was and still is a very good school. And we still learn things via the Forum - it was only when I looked up tie bars and plates that I found the website of the firm that still makes them. If we manage our walk by the Five Arches next week I'll photograph the tie plates.

Yes, fully paid up member of the Old Edwardians - current president is an old classmate of mine! I can't comment on current standing of KES but it could never match the achievements of when it was selective based on 11+. I was there at the time of the big changes. It has to be different now and serving a different role in a different context so hard to compare.

The image from Britain from Above shows two footbridges across the river near the power station. I think one at least may still be there as it was temporarily used by the public after the Wardsend bridge was swept away by the 2007 floods.

TWhits - yes, KES isn't what it was but it still has quite a good record, perhaps due in part to its catchment area. But it can never match 1962 for example, when 28 places were gained at Oxford & Cambridge. I was at the 2005 centenary event, and surprised myself by being able to remember the school song in Latin verbatim!

HughW - yes, the footbridge I remember could be one of those in the view and may sitll be there. I do recall that there was a path leading to it from the nearest corner of Livesey Street with a lockable gate, which isn't there now.

I just found another picture of graffiti on the Five Arches. It is on the owlstalk.co.uk site but its meaning is lost on me! And here is another old postcard with a 1913 postmark, showing a Great Central express.

The Five Arches are mentioned in an article I wrote for a postcard magazine. In case it's of interest to anyone here are scans - Page 1..Page 2..Page 3.

love the great central express train hillsboro, wonder where that was heading to, theres 11 carriages in view.

I would imagine that the white bridge was built to replace the subway under the rail track to maintain a public right of way.
Yes, that's quite possible - the subway is marked on earlier maps such as this one and it predated the power station (click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view).

TWhits - yes, KES isn't what it was but it still has quite a good record, perhaps due in part to its catchment area. But it can never match 1962 for example, when 28 places were gained at Oxford & Cambridge. I was at the 2005 centenary event, and surprised myself by being able to remember the school song in Latin verbatim!

HughW - yes, the footbridge I remember could be one of those in the view and may sitll be there. I do recall that there was a path leading to it from the nearest corner of Livesey Street with a lockable gate, which isn't there now.

I just found another picture of graffiti on the Five Arches. It is on the owlstalk.co.uk site but its meaning is lost on me! And here is another old postcard with a 1913 postmark, showing a Great Central express.

The Five Arches are mentioned in an article I wrote for a postcard magazine. In case it's of interest to anyone here are scans - Page 1..Page 2..Page 3.

When I was young (probably 1950's) I remember a sign painted on the 5 arches saying "Cut the Call Up"

love the great central express train hillsboro, wonder where that was heading to, theres 11 carriages in view.
It could well be a London-Manchester expresss, as the Great Central's "London extension" enabled them to compete with the Midland Railway. Here is a photo of a loco heading a train in the opposite direction, a Manchester-London express leaving Manchester Central in the early 1900s.

What a comedown for the Five Arches - from carrying crack express trains to having a single track used by a few freight workings!

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 11:32 ----------

When I was young (probably 1950's) I remember a sign painted on the 5 arches saying "Cut the Call Up"
Yes indeed - here's a photo. It was actually a postcard that turned up on eBay in 2012. I was outbid (it went for £12.50) so I cunningly copied the grainy image and photoshopped it a bit. :)