Not so Bright Buses

Even driving below the speed limit the police can pull you over if they consider you are obtsructing the free flow of traffic. And as for the bus driver saying 15mph in a 30 zone is stupid, I think a policeman may think the same. [..]

Ever had the misfortune of following a Bright Bus up Walkley Lane? :hihi:

a poor condition and bumpy road with cars both sides and near a couple of schools.

At that time of day with the light fading and there's always the chance of a child running out between the parked cars...

What's the slogan? "Kill your speed, not a child"

They also need a 1 mile stopping distance!

Joking apart those buses look ancient!

and a one mile turning circle too; beware when they turn right at the traffic lights.

Back to the OP; spare a thought for us unfortunate folk stuck behind the black-smoke-belching diesel dinosaurs when they're chugging their way uphill :help:

They also need a 1 mile stopping distance!

Joking apart those buses look ancient!

Don't know how true it is but was once told that the drivers carry their own tool kit for if they break down.. As for them being ancient, again hearsay but heard that they imported them from China the buses not the drivers. Bright Bus cover the local school at Aughton and its unbelievable how many children are crammed onto the buses, to see them it looks far more than they should be.

But if they are taken off route watch the parent's moan! I wouldnt allow any of my children to travel on one of them china sheds

But if they are taken off route watch the parent's moan! I wouldnt allow any of my children to travel on one of them china sheds

Do we KNOW they're Chinese death traps or are parents just making stuff up at the bus stop to pass the time?

Do we KNOW they're Chinese death traps or are parents just making stuff up at the bus stop to pass the time?

According to Wiki they are (Citing Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiast Society, but the link is dead)

http://nebula.wsimg.com/0a95add331d5e1a4fac1b4b361384cb0?AccessKeyId=8B7A174C4DD908996CD8&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I'm suspecting that the ones that say (HK) in the notes are the ones from Hong Kong.

Edited by soopah

As far as I know the buses were made here and shipped to HK then shipped back over here at some point. Not sure if this is the case its just something I heard.

As far as I know the buses were made here and shipped to HK then shipped back over here at some point. Not sure if this is the case its just something I heard.

That's right, most of them were made late 80s/very early 90s. They are many many years past their sell by date.

That's right, most of them were made late 80s/very early 90s. They are many many years past their sell by date.

Many years past their sell by date yes, but they still have to go through a very strict roadworthy test (MOT) done by V.O.S.A. and a regular documented service that can be inspected at any time by V.O.S.A.

According to Wiki they are (Citing Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiast Society, but the link is dead)

http://nebula.wsimg.com/0a95add331d5e1a4fac1b4b361384cb0?AccessKeyId=8B7A174C4DD908996CD8&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I'm suspecting that the ones that say (HK) in the notes are the ones from Hong Kong.

The SOES website is at http://www.sheffieldomnibus.uk/

Fleet lists are available. Bright Buses' is accessible from http://www.sheffieldomnibus.uk/fleet-lists.html

This shows several acquired from Hong Kong.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Reference to HK added

you can identify the HK ones straight away by the double back wheels