Holes in shed floor

We are having problems with something that is making holes in our shed floor. the problem is the earth is brought up into the shed so it appears the whatever it is is digging its way out, rather than in. We have had rat traps set for a few days, but there is another pile of earth inside the shed again today. There is no food in there to attract anything. The holes are not big enough for it to be badgers, but a bit too big for mice. There are squirrels about, but I've never heard of them nesting underground.

Does anyone have an idea what we are dealing with.

We are having problems with something that is making holes in our shed floor. the problem is the earth is brought up into the shed so it appears the whatever it is is digging its way out, rather than in. We have had rat traps set for a few days, but there is another pile of earth inside the shed again today. There is no food in there to attract anything. The holes are not big enough for it to be badgers, but a bit too big for mice. There are squirrels about, but I've never heard of them nesting underground.

Rats? They chewed right through the corner of one of my sheds, no food in there either.

We did think rats, but can't understand why the earth is inside the shed. Did that happen with you?

It sound like rats to me, they are sometimes too clever to get caught in a rat trap and may smell you if you have used bare hands to handle the trap therefore making them wary. We had mice under our shed, then rats came and took over. A neighbour was putting out all sorts on the back lawn to feed the pigeons, which will attract rats. They are very good at chewing through various materials too. The food source doesn't have to be in your shed for them to live there or chew through the floor, which helps keep their teeth down. Councils usually deal with rats for free give them a call. If it is rats you will normally see them, they were feeding off our bird (squirrel proof). We watched them hang upside down and shimmy along the washing line, then they squeezed through the small holes to eat the fat balls.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... if you keep any tools in your shed maybe it could be a mole wrench? :confused:

It was the council who set the bait, but I have heard that there are some rats that are getting immune to the normal poison. what's intriguing me is why the earth is inside the shed. We had rats once before but that didn't happen. There doesn't seem to be anything else it could be though.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... if you keep any tools in your shed maybe it could be a mole wrench? :confused:

or a miner bird.