Coasting in gear or neutral - most efficient?

By far I would have thought in neutral,however I've read in gear is more efficient.

Seems very unlikely to me.

A car in neutral will travel faster using less revs.

Downside is you use energy changing gear.

Thoughts?

Modern engines while coasting in gear use no fuel

Coasting in neutral means the engine has to use fuel to prevent it stalling

So in gear is the most efficient.

I was told that waiting in traffic with the vehicle in Gear and Clutch disengaged is a major contributing factor to premature clutch release bearing failure as this loads the clutch release bearing excessively and shortens both the bearing and clutch assembly life drastically.

So, driving with the car coasting and the clutch out would possibly give the same result.

I coast around corners/junctions in gear, and down hills in neutral. I also have a bad habit of putting the car in neutral too soon before stopping.

I remember my driving instructor telling me that coasting is bad practice in any form.

2 points:

Firstly, coasting is when you're in neutral. In gear, it's just normal driving.

And secondly, it's extremely dangerous to engage in such an action. The brakes will disable and the consequences could be fatal.

Never do it.

2 points:

And secondly, it's extremely dangerous to engage in such an action. The brakes will disable and the consequences could be fatal.

Never do it.

I've always done neutral driving on old cars. Carburetors etc. And I did see a fuel saving. It is dangerous though unless you are very aware of road conditions. Only old guys like me could get away with it :)

Since the advent of fuel injection and full tilt 'computer' cars, I think I've being proved wrong.

Good vid here to show how a modern car behaviors in such an environment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLGX-KDDZ4dgSxp6qB :thumbsup:

2 points:

Never do it.

"the brakes will disable" .... I don't think so.

"If" the brakes fail while coasting and you can't get back in gear, you won't be able to engine brake. But coasting in neutral will not disable your brakes.

"the brakes will disable" .... I don't think so.

"If" the brakes fail while coasting and you can't get back in gear, you won't be able to engine brake. But coasting in neutral will not disable your brakes.

Unless it stalls, hence me mentioning only crafted drivers can get away with it as such :)

I coast around corners/junctions in gear, and down hills in neutral. I also have a bad habit of putting the car in neutral too soon before stopping.

I remember my driving instructor telling me that coasting is bad practice in any form.

I let the car slow down and keep it rolling in second or first gear as long at possible, and I try not to come to a complete stop if I can help it. If you look well ahead you don't have to.

I don't like being a passenger in a car with someone who 'stop-start' drives and brakes at the last moment, its not comfortable at all, and must be terribly inefficient and not good for the engine.

Unless it stalls, hence me mentioning only crafted drivers can get away with it as such :)
Not that I would ever advise coasting (i.e. in motion without gear) anyway, but...if the car should stall whilst the car is coasting, then engage a relevant gear appropriate for the speed and clutch in to jump start it, problem solved.

You shouldn't ever coast (clutch out and free wheel), it reduces control of the vehicle. Downhill least of all, as your brakes will bear all of the braking effort and heat & wear far faster (and fail earlier, if they should).

"Coasting in gear" is simply engine braking. If you're reasonably adept and anticipate well, it's possible to do most of your driving without touching the brakes much at all.

I barely ever touch brakes; conditions permitting, usually I'll anticipate a light or junction (or a slower car ahead) and downshift gradually, with applying a soft touch of the brakes near the end if required, e.g. to a complete stop.

it's extremely dangerous to engage in such an action. The brakes will disable and the consequences could be fatal.

Total rubbish

There will still be enough vacuum in the brake booster to operate the brakes normally and bring the car to a stop safely.

Even then, if it did stall while you were coasting in neutral, just whack it back in gear.

On at least 125cc motor scooters it's OK to switch off the engine completely. The brakes work exactly the same.