How to tell if a used car has been "run in" correctly?

I'm in the market for a used car, preferably a petrol around the 20,000 miles mark.

I understand about the concept of running a new vehicle in, and the difference it can make on the performance and reliability of the car in the future.

What I don't know is how can you tell whether it has been run in correctly?

Of course checking service history and mileage can show wearing out of brakes etc which can be an indicator, but what else should I look for?

Tia!

Most manufacturers run in their engines before fitting them to the cars these days, or so I've told by dealers.

I understand about the concept of running a new vehicle in, and the difference it can make on the performance and reliability of the car in the future.

What I don't know is how can you tell whether it has been run in correctly?

Tia!

Wasnt it just an excuse if things went wrong?

Most manufacturers run in their engines before fitting them to the cars these days, or so I've told by dealers.

I'm not sure that is the case any more.Modern machining has very small tolerances and very smooth finishes. I know back in the 1970s you were asked not to exceed about 45 mph until the first service, but a lot of that was so the dealer got a chance to tighten all the bolts that hadn't been done at the factory and replace the bits that had dropped off.

Now cars are built by robots and can be driven straight from the box.

Initial check and services stamped and dated in the service book should tell you.

I've known some car owners skip the free initial check and service.

Check the service book and the owners manual, it will say what the run-in procedure should be.

Our last new car just said take it easy for the first few miles, and first service is at 12,000 miles (I think)

Obviously when it's like that you've no idea exactly how it was run in.