Doctors? are they worth the money

No! Doctors are experts!

We were told during the referendum that we no longer trust experts. You are the expert and should make an important medical decision based on medical knowledge gleaned from the Daily Mail (it is an invaluable aid for cancer diagnosis).

The White House Surgery stopped all my tablets because they wanted to review them, Fair enough, having told the Doctor I wanted to change some tablets because they could cause "Dry Eye" which I have just started suffering from, I half blamed the tablets I was told - Can't sort that out today, I only have a certain amount of time, (they called ME in) Oh! I've also stopped taking the blood pressure tablet as It does cause my ankles to swell - "Well your taking 10mg, lets lower it down to 5mg" Does that mean I'll only have half a swollen ankle. what I total waste of time.

Definitely worth the money.

We'd be in a sorry state without them.

So you have an issue with your doctor?

Talk to them about it...or find another doctor. Simples.

The White House Surgery stopped all my tablets because they wanted to review them, Fair enough, having told the Doctor I wanted to change some tablets because they could cause "Dry Eye" which I have just started suffering from, I half blamed the tablets I was told - Can't sort that out today, I only have a certain amount of time, (they called ME in) Oh! I've also stopped taking the blood pressure tablet as It does cause my ankles to swell - "Well your taking 10mg, lets lower it down to 5mg" Does that mean I'll only have half a swollen ankle. what I total waste of time.

I take it the drug you have stopped taking for your blood pressure because it has caused your ankles to swell is Amlodipine ?

The doctor was quite correct to advise you to reduce the dose by half - your ankle swelling will reduce and it's entirely likely your blood pressure will still be controlled. It may be that you need a combination of drugs for your blood pressure control or to be put on an entirely different drug altogether. There is never a 'one drug fixes all' situation. To stop the drug entirely is lunacy - you are putting yourself at risk.

Prescribing is not an exact science as every person will react differently to different medication -and sometimes different medication and combination of meds and doses has to be tried to find the best one for you.

As has already been suggested - book a double appointment with your GP to have a full review of your meds and have an open mind to any suggestion he/she may have - they are the experts and have infinitely more knowledge than you.

And - yes ! They ARE worth the money....... and more !

Take care.

Daven, good info. I'm now on a different type of BP meds, plus a diuretic which has resulted eventually in no swollen ankles. I didn't just stop taking my meds, I went back to my GP so he could use his medical experience to try different things. And it worked!

Could we be witnessing a bit of a Darwin Award nomination going on here?

Lunacy is the right word...

'What my doctor proscribed doesn't work perfectly, Seek advice, ignore advice and rant.'

If it weren't for doctors and the like you'd never even know you had high blood pressure to begin with. If your so clever why are you bothering with the overpaid gp's? Just stick a few leeches on then crush up some rhino horn for your gammy eye. Jesus wept, they need a pay rise, more help and support not bashing from all angles.

Can Google issue you a prescription?

At the moment we have train drivers; in the future we might have driver-less vehicles and pharmacists writing prescriptions on the advise of google.

Does anyone know ,who his on the best pay scale a consultant or your family doctor?

Does anyone know ,who his on the best pay scale a consultant or your family doctor?

Why do you need to know ?

How is that relevant ?

A consultant in the NHS gets £76 - £102k. My £120k figure from earlier was incorrect.

A consultant in the NHS gets £76 - £102k. My £120k figure from earlier was incorrect.

Compare that with what a professional footballer gets (note I do not say earns) and compare their value to society and it confirms that the world really has gone mad :loopy:

Compare that with what a professional footballer gets (note I do not say earns) and compare their value to society and it confirms that the world really has gone mad :loopy:

I agree that most doctors are worth every penny, I just have a bit of a beef with psychiatry. The sheer amount that doctors have to know is mind-boggling