Where to find a dog

Hi I am starting a new job after Christmas and am worried about leaving my dog. He has never been on his own for more than a few hours. So I am looking at getting a friend for him.

The trouble is I want to get a female boarder terrier 6-8 years old. Can someone advise me where to get one please?

have you thought of doggy day care or a dog walker ?

To expensive and I really want him to have a friend with him always.

I am a softy when it comes to him

To expensive and I really want him to have a friend with him always.

I am a softy when it comes to him

Double vets bills , Double food bill , dog walkers aren't expensive in comparison , also they are checking up that all is ok with your baby.

If you do it then I suggest waiting until a time when you have a substantial amount of time to make sure that the new dog is settled ok and that they do like each other at least a couple of weeks at home with them.

Dont choose anything young or with lots of energy get something that is happy to sleep the time away, perhaps a retired Greyhound or something of that nature, they are used to prolonged periods of time without Human contact and used to sharing with other dogs (there are always lots of them needing homes) I would definitely look for temperament over breed though, the last thing that you want is 2 giddy dogs wrecking your home or fighting while you are out.

Make sure that where ever it comes from that it has been tested for temperament.

I personally think it's a bad idea getting another dog when your not going to have the time in the day to be there for one never mind two. Wouldn't it be better to get a dog walker ?

I subscribed to Borrowmydoggy hoping for someone who'd want my dog while I'm out for a few hours at a time but had nothing. Well, one girl walked him once but never came back. I won't be renewing.

Your dogs will need to go out to the toilet during the day.

We have a dog walker to let ours out during the day although its very rare one of us is not home, we work from home and we have family living in our annexe. Our dogs have a large run and kennel but we still don't like to leave them locked up if we are both out for any length of time.

Our dog walker changes a different hourly rate depending on time you hire her for due to travel time between customers. I think it generally works out about £11 per hour but you can buy half hour slots.

The kindest thing for him really would be to look at some arrangement to get him out of the house/ a bit of company for a little bit of the day. I have two dogs and work full time - to me, paying a dog walker is simply part of the cost of having dogs and working full time. Their happiness is very important to me and I feel that is a good way of giving them a good quality of life whilst I have to be out of the house to work. I would never simply just leave them all day if I have to work full time.