What's Christmas all about

Christmas was banned in this country by Oliver Cromwell, by an act of parliament in the mid 17th century. Makes you wonder if Britain remained a republican country would Christmas be different today?

I don't think it was celebrated very much until Charles Dicken's book was published, Scroog, then it slowly came back into fashion.

It has become materialistic but there are parts that I do still enjoy.

Today as I was shopping and the Salvation Army bad was playing Carols and it was nice to listen to them.

Dickens never published a book called Scroog.

Dickens never published a book called Scroog.

Yes you are right, I am thinking of Christmas Carol

Christmas causes loads of problems ,divorce numbers shoot up this time of year

All because off Christmas office partys fact ,and one of the main ones is debt

People spending on plastic cards only to find out they can't afford the repayments ,in January people have lost everything due to Christmas ,family's friends fall out for good just over the Christmas period due to drink

You appear to be confusing human behaviour with Christmas. They're not the same thing.

What problems does it cause?

Tired elves. Reindeer exhaustion. Space time continuum issues related to the impossibility of visiting every child in 1 night. hangovers. huge amounts of landfill

Can anyone tell me what Christmas is all about,, no one seems to know the real

Meaning anymore , most people put presents ,first the more the better food and getting <removed> to me its all got out of hand big style Christmas causes more problems than any other time off year

To me (and I'm not religious) it's about giving and receiving presents and being with loved ones, looking out for the needy and having a good time, the religious part can do one for me.

Or, still smarter cookie, she knows and is just playing us a double-blind game to get more presents :hihi:

At 12 it'll be this, for sure :hihi: You're being had :hihi:

To me (and I'm not religious) it's about giving and receiving presents and being with loved ones, looking out for the needy and having a good time, the religious part can do one for me.

except much of the examples you give are religeous

admit it, you are just a closet religousarian

just a consumer frenzy, true message been lost.

Which would be to get <removed> at every given opportunity?

I don't do Christmas.

Edited by nikki-red

Children do not need any more than this ^^^^^^ on Christmas Eve, they are excited enough already. What next ? ' The Day Before Christmas Eve

Boxes ' or ' Boxing Day Boxes ' ? :loopy:

Glad its not just me who thinks like this i said similar on facebook and some of my friends thought i was the loopy one and said they had been doing the christmas eve boxes for years and still do stockings too. We would have had either or.

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 07:39 ----------

££££££££££

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 07:41 ----------

I thought that sounded rather nice too, (hot chocolate, a warm snuggly blanket and a Christmas film.) I also used to buy my kids new pyjamas (wrapped as a present they could open) to wear on Christmas eve, mainly to save me having to hunt through the ironing pile to find bottoms and tops that matched!

And they also had a few well worn Christmas books that they loved to read over and over throughout December.

I was lucky enough to be at home during my children's early years, so we did christmas cooking together and a few crafty things. But in general I think the Christmas Eve Box is unnecessary and will turn into just another marketing opportunity.

If you must have one, make your own.

We used to get new pyjamas they were a christmas present, not a christmas eve one. Whatever next heres a present because its boxing day or new year.

except much of the examples you give are religeous

admit it, you are just a closet religousarian

Eh ?