Shops oppposite Peace gardens

Are they the Southern English supermarket firm? Never knew there was one in Sheffield..

All us tight-fisted Yorkshire folk want to know is . . . are they having a closing down sale ??

Oh yes, and my commiserations to the staff.

P.S. There must be some way we can blame the council for this.

Are you tight luv?

The facade of those buildings is lovely. I was down there the other day thinking it would make a great Boutique Hotel overlooking the Peace Gardens instead of closing down the central library on Surrey Street.

I agree Anna - those buildings are beautiful to look at.

It seems as though more and more stores are closing in Sheffield centre .

The plans for the new NRQ seem to be a little optimistic to say the least .

It was done about 20 odd years ago. Previously, the upper storeys were residential accessed from behind by external iron stairs and walkways.

Yes Jim. During my mis-spent youth when frequenting the billiard hall on Burgess Street, you could see the backs of those very nice, then residential buildings. I often said to myself how I would like to live there....oh well...

I havent noticed any improvement to the area with all these older buildi gs being knocked down

Budgens never done well in sheffield - there was one in west one which closed down if I remember rightly.

That's correct. The Hop now or whatever BBQ summat

We were only saying on Saturday how beautiful those buildings are, and across the road where Costa / Laura Ashley are

They really are beautiful. Those who complain about the city centre being soulless and lacking character need to open their eyes and look upwards beyond the shop fronts.

Sheffield Star reports that Mothercare on Barkers Pool is now closing down.

Sheffield Star reports that Mothercare on Barkers Pool is now closing down.

Well, yes- as that's through where the new road [effectively, an extension of Fargate] will run.

Yes Jim. During my mis-spent youth when frequenting the billiard hall on Burgess Street, you could see the backs of those very nice, then residential buildings. I often said to myself how I would like to live there....oh well...

I had an aunt and uncle lived there in the 60s when the block was known as Palatine Buildings. They had a great view of the town hall and peace gardens.

The stage door to the Gaumont was accessed up that little lane as well and my aunty would get autographs if she ran into any of the stars of the day. Emile Ford was one that I recall.

I remember there was a piece of advice painted on the wall on the left hand side just above Bray Brothers. It read 'COMMIT NO NUISANCE'.

According to my Sheffield architecture guide, these buildings were developed in the mid 1890s by Reuben Thompson, a Sheffield entrepreneur who started the city's first taxi company in 1905.

The facade is one the city centre's best looking frontages.