Graffiti in Sheffield.

A couple of weeks ago I read there was going to be a crackdown on graffiti in Sheffield.

This form of criminal damage is making Sheffield look dreadful.

How can it be stopped ?

I am not referring to the artistic murals which themselves have been damaged.

A couple of weeks ago I read there was going to be a crackdown on graffiti in Sheffield.

This form of criminal damage is making Sheffield look dreadful.

How can it be stopped ?

I am not referring to the artistic murals which themselves have been damaged.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... maybe we could hold a protest outside the Town Hall? :roll:

It's everywhere at the minute.

There does seem to be a zero-tolerance policy in the Bramall Lane underpass though. Anything there during the afternoon has been painted over in a vile shade of greenish yellow by the following morning.

I agree its awfull and gives out the wrong impression of a area and its a downward spiral to anti social behaviour,the main problem kids see nice art work and try it out

but just leave a awfull tag or whatever,its about time we put pressure on the council to

sort it out.

I've noticed there are Twitter accounts ( eg. WhyUReadingThisFor) glamourising this scrawling on every other wall in Sheffield. With Sheffield council seemingly turning a blind eye/giving up and (as far as I'm aware) not a single apparent case of anyone being caught/made example of in the last few years, it's seemingly here to stay. Budget cuts can be blamed, but surely a better fight could be put up - esp as its only prob 20-30 main culprits.

From my travels around Yorkshire, no other big city seems anywhere near as bad, but it may be the areas I'm visiting. Around Riverside/Kelham island I've noticed has become very bad - strange as the council seem to want to promote that area.

I've noticed there are Twitter accounts ( eg. WhyUReadingThisFor) glamourising this scrawling on every other wall in Sheffield. With Sheffield council seemingly turning a blind eye/giving up and (as far as I'm aware) not a single apparent case of anyone being caught/made example of in the last few years, it's seemingly here to stay. Budget cuts can be blamed, but surely a better fight could be put up - esp as its only prob 20-30 main culprits.

From my travels around Yorkshire, no other big city seems anywhere near as bad, but it may be the areas I'm visiting. Around Riverside/Kelham island I've noticed has become very bad - strange as the council seem to want to promote that area.

Genuine question - What jurisdiction does the council have over the removal of graffiti from private buildings? Do they have any powers to force its removal? Do they have the powers to investigate and prosecute the perpetrators?

It's a pet hate of mine, along with littering. It shows a lack of respect for other people and the places they live and work.

It doesn't help when we promote these anti-social vandals into celebtrity cult status icons. They are nowt but vandals amd criminals, and should have their own faces painted with non-drip gloss.

Bring back the stocks!

You should travel the big cites of Europe and the world, it's everywhere. No need single Sheffield out, it's alongside likes of Paris, Milan, Lyons, Zurich Rome Seville and the list goes on..in that regard

Business rates payers in the central business district have voted to set up a Business Improvement District funded by a supplement on their business rates. Graffiti removal is one of the services that will be funded, allowing rates payers to get it removed for no further cost. Hopefully this will clean up the city centre.