Woodseats History

Can anyone remember living there prior to demolition, I had lots of playmates from there.

Anybody remember the Bell family who lived on Tadcaster Road ? William (Arthur) Bell was a civil engineer who had an office on there. I am distantly related to them but am not in touch at all.

My Grandad worked for Walt Seagraves in the shop in the 1950s. Not sure if you have any old photos of that time.

My Grandad worked for Walt Seagraves in the shop in the 1950s. Not sure if you have any old photos of that time.

No photos I,m afraid but my dad used to take me there many years ago.

Hi Person6 - unfortunately the "picturesheffield" photo only gives a distant view. The corner of Woodseats House Road can just be made out at centre left (a little to the left of where the tree can be seen behind the buildings). Seagrave's is the third property after this (835 Chesterfield Road).

Hi Person6 - unfortunately the "picturesheffield" photo only gives a distant view. The corner of Woodseats House Road can just be made out at centre left (a little to the left of where the tree can be seen behind the buildings). Seagrave's is the third property after this (835 Chesterfield Road).

Thank you. I had only a vague memory of the actual location.

I remember some years ago (mid 70's) seeing photographs of that stretch of Chesterfield Road on display in the Gleeson's building.

Would it be worth trying to contact Gleesons ?

See if they have any archived photos ?

Can anyone else remember the small bingo hall that was on Woodseats?

As I remember it was in the small arcade on the left hand side going into town, possibly near to the Saint Luke's charity shop.

The prizes weren't big, as we won tinned food for a camping trip.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by melv
Spelling.

Anyone us to live there? There were a lot of back to back houses at the bottom, they were demolished, where did everyone go? I lived at 87 in the terraced houses, they have now gone. Everyone knew each other, my mom was born in the house we lived in. Opposite our house my dad had a garden, he kept bantams, there were pigs further over, he used to grow vegetables, great time to grow up, we played football and cricket in Graves Park, we used to stay there all day, no problems.