Uninsured HGV involved in an accident

We were recently involved in an accident with an HGV, where the driver refused to stop, even though he was pursued for a short distance by flashing lights for him to stop etc.

We have reported the accident to the police (including the number plate of the HGV), but have recently found out from our insurers that the HGV was uninsured.

The HGV was a plain white colour (so we only have the registration number) to go on, and we seem not to have anything from the police. The car will probably have to be written off, as he pulled over from overtaking the car and nearly drove the car off the road.

I appreciate we will be at a loss as a result of this, and thankful the driver of the car was safe. But my real concern is will the Police prosecute the HGV Driver/ Company, as I feel to be driving a commercial vehicle and especially an articulated lorry without any insurance should be a criminal offence. It does make we wonder as to how many more companies are using HGV uninsured.

I would have though ANPR would catch the uninsured ones like they do cars and vans. Have you spoke to your insurer about whether or not you have uninsured driver cover. With my insurer providing I get the reg I will be totally covered and not lose my no claims if i am not at fault.

Follow up with the police and ask them what's happening.

I appreciate we will be at a loss as a result of this, and thankful the driver of the car was safe. But my real concern is will the Police prosecute the HGV Driver/ Company, as I feel to be driving a commercial vehicle and especially an articulated lorry without any insurance should be a criminal offence. It does make we wonder as to how many more companies are using HGV uninsured.

Perhaps the HGV was being used without the permission of the company, so uninsured?

When you say the hgv was plain white do you mean the tractor unit or the trailer?

If its articulated then when they change the trailer it could be any other colour.

We have reported the accident to the police (including the number plate of the HGV), but have recently found out from our insurers that the HGV was uninsured.

It is very rare that a LGV will be on the road without insurance :suspect: In view of the driver not stopping, and no markings aware to you I am thinking of wrong registration plates displayed. General truck and cloned plates. My employer has 2 trucks which are registered as SORN. One because it is a vintage and the other is for parts only and just been taken off the road - maybe its one of his??

Among the LGV fraternity there are quite a few incidents where a plain white unit has stolen a loaded (usually high value) trailer.

We were recently involved in an accident with an HGV, where the driver refused to stop, even though he was pursued for a short distance by flashing lights for him to stop etc.

The HGV was a plain white colour (so we only have the registration number) to go on, and we seem not to have anything from the police. The car will probably have to be written off, as he pulled over from overtaking the car and nearly drove the car off the road.

was it the units reg or the trailer reg you took, trailer reg plate are detachable and are made to be exchanged. Again rouge plates, perhaps off a scrapped vehicle are not too hard to get hold of. Was it a British reg?

Thanks for the replies, I will certainly keep at the Police about this. Both the trailer and cab unit were both white.

My son who is 18 was driving the car, after he had finished work about 12.00pm. This is his first year driving and so has one of those boxes fitted which track your speed etc.

He was within the speed limit, when this HGV approached him from behind and must have took umbrage at the at the speed he was doing on a quiet road at that time. He is sensible and knows these boxes are monitored by satellite. This was also a NSL road so he was travelling about 55.

The HGV started flashing his lights and swinging out into the opposite lane in a attempt to overtake and intimidate him. When eventually he reached a dual section the HGV drove alongside him, and tried to force him off the road, causing quite a lot of damage to the drivers side of the car, smashing the rear window and damage to the rear bumper etc.

Thankfully he is ok, and the car is drivable (and this incident has not put him off driving).

I just hope the Police will actually do something with this driver or company, an uninsured car is bad enough in the hands of an idiot, but to use a commercial vehicle without insurance is a disaster just waiting to happen, and I hope the company/driver are brought to task.

Thanks for the replies, I will certainly keep at the Police about this. Both the trailer and cab unit were both white.

My son who is 18 was driving the car, after he had finished work about 12.00pm. This is his first year driving and so has one of those boxes fitted which track your speed etc.

He was within the speed limit, when this HGV approached him from behind and must have took umbrage at the at the speed he was doing on a quiet road at that time. He is sensible and knows these boxes are monitored by satellite. This was also a NSL road so he was travelling about 55.

The HGV started flashing his lights and swinging out into the opposite lane in a attempt to overtake and intimidate him. When eventually he reached a dual section the HGV drove alongside him, and tried to force him off the road, causing quite a lot of damage to the drivers side of the car, smashing the rear window and damage to the rear bumper etc.

Thankfully he is ok, and the car is drivable (and this incident has not put him off driving).

I just hope the Police will actually do something with this driver or company, an uninsured car is bad enough in the hands of an idiot, but to use a commercial vehicle without insurance is a disaster just waiting to happen, and I hope the company/driver are brought to task.

I'd have thought the wagon would have struggled to get past your son doing 55ish as most wagons are restricted to 56 mph ,unless it was either Irish or foreign

I'd have thought the wagon would have struggled to get past your son doing 55ish as most wagons are restricted to 56 mph ,unless it was either Irish or foreign

I was thinking the same.

I was thinking the same.

Not so. I've put in some proper miles this week and whilst nearly every lorry did 56mph on the M1 (although I did notice a foreign lorry doing 56 in a 50 zone (not unusual) but was about a foot away from a car front flashing his lights like nutter) I was over taken a few times on the A1 by lorries doing at least 60 - two today coming back from Cambridge. They were mostly small concerns rather than the big hauliers. The difference in driving was quite striking.