Accountability of Sheffield MPs who voted against brexit

The biggest problem is the fall in the exchange rates, all our suppliers have put up their prices by between 5 and 20%, thus we have to pass that on, which may cost us business. I cannot understand why the inflation rate is, apparently, only 18%.

We don`t send much stuff abroad, the carriage is too expensive, but, at the moment sending stuff to EU countries is easier, we don`t have to fill out any customs forms. The carriage is also cheaper, though I suspect that`s more to do with the fact it`s nearer. The wider point being countries generally trade most with countries that are closer to them, because transport is quicker and cheaper. China, and other low cost Eastern countries, is the obvious exception, but the lead time to buy stuff from China is LONG, generally between 2 on 4 months.

I`d have thought the biggest danger to my business from Brexit is the probably slowing down of the economy. Most people think this will happen, though the Brexiteers are of the view it`ll be only for the medium term. We shall see, but even if they`re right that`ll still cost me some money.

I'm sorry for your troubles.

The BoE have increased their 2017 growth prediction for the UK to 2%. Just after the referendum it was 1.4%, down from 2.3% when they thought we'd be voting remain.

There's likely extra debt associated with this growth as we're borrowing more than we probably would have if it had gone the other way, and that will eventually have to be paid back.

But it's all fractions and there's no catastrophe looming now (at least none that wasn't there a year ago).

The remain crowd are right, that leaving the EU isn't free in the short to medium term, but I see it as an investment in the nation's future. Many of course see it as exactly the reverse of that and think that the EU held our better future. We may never know for certain.

Even if the EU project does fail, would it still have failed if we hadn't withdrawn our support? I think so, but who can say for certain. I still hope that it doesn't fail, but I honestly don't see how it can succeed.

Do you mean 1.8% [current inflation rate] or have you information I don't have.

Angel1.

Correct, it`s 1.8%. But whilst you`re on AF, how come you never answer any of the questions I put to you ?

I'm not really sure why people's ire is directed towards Labour MPs as their votes were never going to make any difference. Only one Tory MP voted against it despite the fact that more Tory MPs represent constituencies where Remain voters were in the majority.

Why has there not been the moral outrage against the Tories for foisting this referendum on us, lying during its undertaking and not voting in line with their constituents' wishes?

My MP actually emailed me telling me he thought that seceding from the EU was a bad idea, and that we were better off in the Union.

He is a tory MP of long standing.

Unfortunately I do not have the email to hand to present him with.

I'm not really sure why people's ire is directed towards Labour MPs as their votes were never going to make any difference. Only one Tory MP voted against it despite the fact that more Tory MPs represent constituencies where Remain voters were in the majority.

Why has there not been the moral outrage against the Tories for foisting this referendum on us, lying during its undertaking and not voting in line with their constituents' wishes?

1. My ire is directed at them both, but Labour in particular because, as a party who are supposedly pro-remain, with the notable exception of Keir Starmer they have been a totally ineffective, nay absent, opposition. Nothing was made of the errors in the white paper (anyone else think that 14 weeks paid leave will be 14 days by brexit?), nothing was done to oppose the cliff edge fall back.

2. This thread is about Sheffield MPs accountability to their constituents. Last I checked the Sheffield Central MP, the constituency I still hold an interest in, had a Labour MP.

Basically the hard line Brexiteers have won by lying again : "the people voted for a total break with the EU", which, statistically, cannot possibly be true.

I cant see how it can be anything else as the questions put in the referendum were:

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union

By any logic Leave means just that, which also means a total break from the EU.

I cant see how it can be anything else as the questions put in the referendum were:

Leave the European Union

I also never saw "Kind of half-leave the EU" on the ballot.

I cant see how it can be anything else as the questions were:

Leave the European Union

You know as well as everyone else who has been over this time and again on here. That many 'options' were proposed for the final relationship and remaining a member of the single market was one such option, along side the Norway/Switzerland models.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/open-britain-video-single-market-nigel-farage-anna-soubry_uk_582ce0a0e4b09025ba310fce

Indeed arguably, since the majority of the UK is in favour of staying in the single market, it was these along with the 'have your cake and eat it' promises/lies which may have persuaded a proportion of people to vote leave.

http://natcen.ac.uk/news-media/press-releases/2016/november/voters-want-uk-to-stay-in-the-eu-single-market-but-be-able-to-control-immigration/

You know as well as everyone else who has been over this time and again on here. That many 'options' were proposed for the final relationship and remaining a member of the single market was one such option, along side the Norway/Switzerland models.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/open-britain-video-single-market-nigel-farage-anna-soubry_uk_582ce0a0e4b09025ba310fce

Indeed arguably, since the majority of the UK is in favour of staying in the single market, it was these along with the 'have your cake and eat it' promises/lies which may have persuaded a proportion of people to vote leave.

http://natcen.ac.uk/news-media/press-releases/2016/november/voters-want-uk-to-stay-in-the-eu-single-market-but-be-able-to-control-immigration/

You really must have been watching different interviews and debates from me.

Point out where it said "Kind of half leave the EU" on your ballot paper.

You really must have been watching different interviews and debates from me.

Point out where it said "Kind of half leave the EU" on your ballot paper.

Did you watch the video in the link? I watched stuff like that day in day out on Question Time, This Week, Daily Politics, Channel 4 news etc.

So if the option was always hard Brexit or no Brexit what were the lies about single market and Norway models all about?

Edit to add: Whenever leading leave campaigners have been challenged by interviewers about freedom of movement, the single market, workers protection, human rights, international cooperation (eg Europol, Space/Science programmes, LHC, REACH etc etc etc) they have consistently shifted their rhetoric. Be it from we "won't pay a penny to the EU" to "we can pay to access the single market" or "we will control immigration" to "nobody said control meant reduce" or "we will continue to be world leaders in science" to "there won't be any extra funding for science".

Edited by biotechpete

No options were ever proposed or given in the referendum vote which is the important bit, Parliament could have done so but missed its chance. Was that also the same video that was just a bunch of clips taken out of context and shown to be a pack of lies?

I think you mistake a poll of a few thousand chosen people after the referendum as representative of the majority of voters. It seems that a lot of polls have been wrong over the past 6 months as well.

I also never saw "Kind of half-leave the EU" on the ballot.

So, it is leave completely with no negotiation then?

So, it is leave completely with no negotiation then?

No. It isn't. There's nothing wrong with making an arrangement on tariffs and market access. There's something very wrong with submitting our entire nation to a foreign regulatory or legal regime.

---------- Post added 15-02-2017 at 18:37 ----------

Did you watch the video in the link? I watched stuff like that day in day out on Question Time, This Week, Daily Politics, Channel 4 news etc.

So if the option was always hard Brexit or no Brexit what were the lies about single market and Norway models all about?

Edit to add: Whenever leading leave campaigners have been challenged by interviewers about freedom of movement, the single market, workers protection, human rights, international cooperation (eg Europol, Space/Science programmes, LHC, REACH etc etc etc) they have consistently shifted their rhetoric. Be it from we "won't pay a penny to the EU" to "we can pay to access the single market" or "we will control immigration" to "nobody said control meant reduce".

Boris Johnson said outright that we would leave the single market on national television. So did Gove and Cameron and Stuart and many others.

A few minor figures equivocating on the matter cannot balance this.

Edited by unbeliever