Accountability of Sheffield MPs who voted against brexit

The estimates I found say that Sheffield central was 70% remain, yet Paul Bloom field voted in favour of Brexit. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

It would be a handy reminder that the last GE was not about the issue of leaving the EU.

The EU issue only arose due the spat between Cameron and Johnson.

The elected MP's are working according to the orders of the unfranchised PM or according to their own consciences.

If the MP's had been elected as the result of a GE, where the argument was for leaving the EU, then you could take issue with them

Until we have a government elected on the lines of leaving the EU, then the issue is not settled.

You must live with this fluid situation until the issue is settled at the ballot box.

Until we have a government elected on the lines of leaving the EU, then the issue is not settled.

You must live with this fluid situation until the issue is settled at the ballot box.

No we dont.. Given than any GE will not take place until after we have already triggered A50 and may have already left I think it safe to assume that it is already settled.

No we dont.. Given than any GE will not take place until after we have already triggered A50 and may have already left I think it safe to assume that it is already settled.

In what way will it be settled?

Do you honestly think it will all be over?

Unfortunately, I think there won't be much to stop us leaving by 2019. Fixed term parliament act means no election until May 2020. The exit deal will have to be concluded by then.

Grasping at straws, perhaps a monumental opinion poll swing to the Lib Dems promising to take us back in to the EU, in the run up to the election, might persuade all 27 members to extend the A50 time limit. I'm sure Conservative hardliners will enforce a cliff edge though in the absence of a deal, despite it being demonstrably against the national interest.

The question for me, looking forward to 2020 is will remain voters forgive Labour's capitulation and will the Labour party still exist in its current form by then? Brexit seems to have scarily realigned politics to a libertarian-fascist axis instead of a left-right one. On that point I agree, it won't properly be decided until a general election because neither of the main parties actually represent the majority centrist view. There are libertarians in both parties who don't align any longer with party policy.

In what way will it be settled?

Do you honestly think it will all be over?

Quick and simple answer, yes I do.

As the recent court case has reminded us Parliament are supreme and not the Government. Parliament passed the referendum act and allowed the referendum to take place. They have now had the chance to challenge it but overwhelmingly voted in favour of triggering A50, and I would think that the Lords will also do the same.

It seems however that it will never be over for some as they just simply do not like the outcome of the peoples vote and the fact that Parliament are now endorsing it.

Quick and simple answer, yes I do.

As the recent court case has reminded us Parliament are supreme and not the Government. Parliament passed the referendum act and allowed the referendum to take place. They have now had the chance to challenge it but overwhelmingly voted in favour of triggering A50, and I would think that the Lords will also do the same.

It seems however that it will never be over for some as they just simply do not like the outcome of the peoples vote and the fact that Parliament are now endorsing it.

There will always be pro-Europeans in the UK. Just like the referendum to take us into (what is now) the EU didn't stop UKIP, those people are free to perpetually advocate their cause.

There will always be pro-Europeans in the UK. Just like the referendum to take us into (what is now) the EU didn't stop UKIP, those people are free to perpetually advocate their cause.

The problem with that is we never had a referendum to take us into the EEC (now EU) as it was the government that decided, with parliaments approval to sign up. At that time there were only 9 members as well, not the 28 that exists now. We only had a referendum after we joined to ask if we wanted to stay in.

The problem with that is we never had a referendum to take us into the EEC (now EU) as it was the government that decided, with parliaments approval to sign up. At that time there were only 9 members as well, not the 28 that exists now. We only had a referendum after we joined to ask if we wanted to stay in.

Yeah OK, point is for 40 odd years of our membership of the EEC,EC,EU was supported by a referendum, which UKIP happily ignored to campaign to leave the EU. At what point does 'the will of the people' cease to be valid?

The estimates I found say that Sheffield central was 70% remain, yet Paul Bloom field voted in favour of Brexit. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

When its the other way round, Cuey obviously does not give two hoots. Cuey, like so many others is a Leave supporter and anyone else's opinion is intolerable to them to the point of flagrant disregard or open hostility.

Quick and simple answer, yes I do [think it will all be over].

No you`re wrong. I`m not the only one whose confidence and respect for the democracy and the electorate of this country has been shattered. What happened in the Referendum campaign was bad enough (the most dishonest ever), but, if anything, what happened afterwards was even worse.

Basically the hard line Brexiteers have won by lying again : "the people voted for a total break with the EU", which, statistically, cannot possibly be true.

The calls for unity after the Referendum have proved to be totally hollow, consensus politics is dead, unsurprisingly because that`s what you get with Nationalism (see DT in the US....). No notice whatsoever has been taken of the nearly 50% of people who voted to stay in the EU. Basically they (that is to say, the Nationalistic right wing government = the country) are not bothered about me, so I`m not bothered about them. I don`t give a toss about Britain any more, all I`m concerned about is my family and my friends. I feel some loyalty to Sheffield but none to the country.

Edited by Justin Smith

Well said!

Says the person who's location is Spain!?!?! Where are you going to live when Spain kick you out post-Brexit, because clearly we aren't worthy of you in the UK so perhaps you should find somewhere more suited to your status. North Korea perhaps?