Accountability of Sheffield MPs who voted against brexit

There was no majority for leaving the single market etc, you know that full well.

But there couldn't have been a majority for that as the question was never asked, which you fail to grasp.

* Even the Brexiteers admit it was mainly over immigration

No they don't, and I know many other Brexiters that also don't believe that, some also post on SF. But.. if you want to believe the media spin and lies then that is up to you.

Forgive me if someone has already pointed this out, but if the house of commons truly represented the will of the people, 243 MPs would have voted in favour, 224 would have voted against, and 183 would have abstained

There was no majority for leaving the single market etc, you know that full well.

But there couldn't have been a majority for that as the question was never asked, which you fail to grasp..

Right, so if the question was never asked, how have the hard core Brexiteers implied that it had and that was what "the people" voted for ?

That is exactly how democracy works and I refuse to believe that you don't know this.

Your argument is a simple and extremely obvious rejection of democracy itself.

Just give up. The people have spoken. You're entitled to say that they've made a mistake but it is quite wrong to say that they have not really expressed a view.

Even the Brexiteers admit it was mainly over immigration

No they don't, and I know many other Brexiters that also don't believe that, some also post on SF. But.. if you want to believe the media spin and lies then that is up to you.

Right, if it wasn`t about immigration, how come in this research (before the last general election) only 15% of people put Europe in the top three of their concerns ? Whilst for immigration it was about 60% ? What`s most interesting is that when people were asked whether immigration was a worry directly for you and your family, the %age dropped to less than 20.

---------- Post added 21-02-2017 at 13:37 ----------

That is exactly how democracy works and I refuse to believe that you don't know this.

Your argument is a simple and extremely obvious rejection of democracy itself.

Just give up. The people have spoken. You're entitled to say that they've made a mistake but it is quite wrong to say that they have not really expressed a view.

When you mean That, what exactly do you mean ? Do you mean the extrapolation (by the Bexiteers) of what the result meant ? Or do you mean something else ?

I do think the people have made a mistake, but that is not actually the reason I`m so mad about the whole thing. I`m mad because on a dishonest campaign and a tight result, a protest vote has made a huge change to this country and how I`ll have to live. I`m also mad that the 48% who voted to remain are now simply ignored, like they don`t exist. I`m also mad as hell about the dishonest extrapolation of the result that the Brexiteers have made, what they consider the people were actually voting for. It`s obscene, particularly when they start banging on about democracy and respecting the will of the voters (but only when it suits them), that really makes me feel sick.

Here`s a question for you :

If the result had been 90% to 10%, as opposed to the 52% to 48% that it actually was, how different would the governments reaction and negotiating strategy have been ?

I don`t believe it would have been any different at all, because, let`s face, it can`t be any more hard Brexit can it ? And that speaks volumes.

Edited by Justin Smith

Even the Brexiteers admit it was mainly over immigration

Right, if it wasn`t about immigration, how come in this research (before the last general election) only 15% of people put Europe in the top three of their concerns ? Whilst for immigration it was about 60% ? What`s most interesting is that when people were asked whether immigration was a worry directly for you and your family, the %age dropped to less than 20.

---------- Post added 21-02-2017 at 13:37 ----------

When you mean That, what exactly do you mean ? Do you mean the extrapolation (by the Bexiteers) of what the result meant ? Or do you mean something else ?

I do think the people have made a mistake, but that is not actually the reason I`m so mad about the whole thing. I`m mad because on a dishonest campaign and a tight result, a protest vote has made a huge change to this country and how I`ll have to live. I`m also mad that the 48% who voted to remain are now simply ignored, like they don`t exist. I`m also mad as hell about the dishonest extrapolation of the result that the Brexiteers have made, what they consider the people were actually voting for. It`s obscene, particularly when they start banging on about democracy and respecting the will of the voters (but only when it suits them), that really makes me feel sick.

Here`s a question for you :

If the result had been 90% to 10%, as opposed to the 52% to 48% that it actually was, how different would the governments reaction and negotiating strategy have been ?

I don`t believe it would have been any different at all, because, let`s face, it can`t be any more hard Brexit can it ? And that speaks volumes.

It's a binary matter. Soft Brexit is a myth.

Degree of brexit isn't a binary matter - or do you believe that everyone who voted for brexit supports turning this country into an offshore corporate tax haven, with the consequent negative effects, as Theresa May threatened could happen?

Degree of brexit isn't a binary matter - or do you believe that everyone who voted for brexit supports turning this country into an offshore corporate tax haven, with the consequent negative effects, as Theresa May threatened could happen?

We voted to leave the EU. Not half leave it. If we stay in the single market and the customs union, that's not even half leaving. More like 10% leaving.

I don`t remember the Leave campaign stressing that before the referendum. They were too busy using their media time to emphasise how much money we`d save and how much extra we could then spend on the NHS. It`ll be interesting to see just how much extra money we end up with, if any at all. I suspect it`ll be the latter once the Govt has finished compensating all those losing out by leaving the EU, e.g the farmers and Nissan et al. I wonder how many people wouldn`t have voted Leave had they known that ? What do you reckon, shall we say 10% ? That`s only one in ten, but still double the number actually needed to change the result, quadruple the number if they actually changed sides. But I can see you, and all the other Brexiteers, won`t be bothered, you`ve got what you want and that`s it, means to an end and all that ?

We voted to leave the EU. Not half leave it. If we stay in the single market and the customs union, that's not even half leaving. More like 10% leaving.

I'll repost the bit of my post I wanted you to answer:

do you believe that everyone who voted for brexit supports turning this country into an offshore corporate tax haven

That's what brexit at any cost means. That's why MPs should have a say over the terms of brexit.

I'll repost the bit of my post I wanted you to answer:

That's what brexit at any cost means. That's why MPs should have a say over the terms of brexit.

It's a false premise so I can't answer it.