Accountability of Sheffield MPs who voted against brexit

Yet more evidence of the Brexiteers reading a headline and NOT the detail. It's rather sad that these peoples incompetence has lead us to leave the EU. :(

[/color]

I bet the top three was something like Economy, Immigration and Sovereignty / or perhaps NHS. Things that have nothing to do with Europe. :hihi:

Can you post a link to these stats Justin? It sounds interesting. I want to see the top three things :)

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/04/15/health-tops-immigration-second-most-important-issu/

You`re right that immigration was in third place. But there are two points here :

1 - The Leave campaign repeatedly say "it`s not all about immigration".

2 - Most, as in more than 50%, of immigration is from outside the EU anyway.

Why would anyone wanting the UK to leave the EU have voted UKIP at the election? As far as my memory serves me it was David Cameron who went into the election promising a referendum on the subject and if anyone wanted out they needed a referendum first. That involved voting conservative and again as memory serves me they won, which is why we had a referendum.

I think you`re missing the point that only 15% of people put Europe in their top three of concerns. The fact UKIP got only 12% of the vote at the subsequent general election is, to some extent, a side issue. Going by that poll they wouldn`t have got that much more even if Cameron hadn`t decided to put his problems with his party above the country.

Middle lane hoggers, speeding drivers, german cars.

Middle lane drivers don`t bother me that much, particularly if they`re doing 65 or more.

I`ve no problem with German cars, just quite a few of the drivers. But even there it`s still a minority. Apart from Audi R8 drivers, a majority of them are cretins.

But speeding drivers, yes, I can`t stand them.

Edited by Justin Smith

[/color]

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/04/15/health-tops-immigration-second-most-important-issu/

You`re right that immigration was in third place. But there are two points here :

1 - The Leave campaign repeatedly say "it`s not all about immigration".

2 - Most, as in more than 50%, of immigration is from outside the EU anyway.

Not bad I guessed 4 and 3 of them were right. No surprise there then.

How do you know how Hallam voted? Is there a breakdown of how all the seperate wards voted?

No there isnt.

Read up what parliamentary sovereignty actually is. Then understand how your elected MP represents you.

Then and only then will you understand why this thread is garbage and how the OP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Why should an MP be held accountable specifically for a single issue?

If the constituents don't like their MP's views they can vote for another candidate. Accountability 'problem' solved.

Why should an MP be held accountable specifically for a single issue?

If the constituents don't like their MP's views they can vote for another candidate. Accountability 'problem' solved.

Why should an MP be explicitly accountable for an issue that was not part of their general election manifesto? If these MP's were pro EU at the general election in 2015, they are just representing the views they were elected under for and righty so.

Why should an MP be explicitly accountable for an issue that was not part of their general election manifesto? If these MP's were pro EU at the general election in 2015, they are just representing the views they were elected under for and righty so.

Couldn`t agree more.

Angela Smith has at least made my life a bit easier. She`s our MP but I was going to vote Lib Dem at the next General Election. What worried me was letting the Tory (or even worse UKIP....) in. However, she voted against Article 50 so I`ll vote for her. I feel a bit sorry for the Lib Dem candidate though, her vote will get squeezed big time, such is the unfairness of our electoral system.

Couldn`t agree more.

Angela Smith has at least made my life a bit easier. She`s our MP but I was going to vote Lib Dem at the next General Election. What worried me was letting the Tory (or even worse UKIP....) in. However, she voted against Article 50 so I`ll vote for her. I feel a bit sorry for the Lib Dem candidate though, her vote will get squeezed big time, such is the unfairness of our electoral system.

I have been in touch with Mz Smith on two occasions as she is my elected MP also. Neither of her two replies to me have "cut the mustard".

On the first vote she did indeed vote against the will of her constituents and also against the will of the majority of the populace that voted. Not very democratic was it.

On the most recent vote, she abstained. As I served around 12 years on a committee, I was always led to believe that an abstention was a none vote, a waste, a dereliction of your duty to the committee if you will, letting down the people who voted you on to the said committee.

Therefore I could NEVER vote for any one who carried out her actions.

UKip for me.

Angel.

I have been in touch with Mz Smith on two occasions as she is my elected MP also. Neither of her two replies to me have "cut the mustard".

On the first vote she did indeed vote against the will of her constituents and also against the will of the majority of the populace that voted. Not very democratic was it.

On the most recent vote, she abstained. As I served around 12 years on a committee, I was always led to believe that an abstention was a none vote, a waste, a dereliction of your duty to the committee if you will, letting down the people who voted you on to the said committee.

UKip for me.

Angel.

I didn`t think Referendums were binding, and if they`re as dishonest (not to say tight) as the one we`ve just had they certainly shouldn`t be.

To be quiet frank, if I were an MP with strong views on a subject I`d vote the way of my conscience and to hell with the consequences. But in any case, MPs are representatives, they`re not delegates. Using your logic all MPs who voted to abolish the death penalty would be guilty of not representing their constituents. Having said that, the latest polls on the latter seem to indicate that those in favour of the death penalty are no longer in the majority (whatever the Mail or Express "opinionpapers" might like you lead you to believe), but my point still stands.

This just shows how this Europe thing has snowballed, all for something most people weren`t that bothered about only 15 months before the Referendum. Less than 15% of voters put Europe in their top three of concerns. David Cameron putting party politics before the country has a hell of a lot to answer for. For a poxy few percent of voters he`s deeply divided the country, possibly literally.

So you`re a UKIP voter, tell me, what paper do you read* ?

* it`s interesting, nobody has admitted to reading the Express or the Mail in all the times I`ve asked this question. I`ll take that a bit of a result, they must know, even if they didn`t before, that neither paper is really a newspaper (in the sense it prints unbiased stories).

Edited by Justin Smith

UKip for me.

Angel.

Youve waved the UKIP banner for years on this very forum. Im quite sure you'll vote UKIP from regardless of what Ms Smith said or did.

UKip for me.

Youve waved the UKIP banner for years on this very forum. Im quite sure you'll vote UKIP from regardless of what Ms Smith said or did.

And, by the sounds of it, regardless of the integrity of the UKIP candidate ;):D