Accountability of Sheffield MPs who voted against brexit

Christ, some Brexiters act like it was 99% to leave. It was very close, stop witch hunting everyone that disagreed.

Yes...63% voted Remain in Clegg's consituency.

Have you got a link for that? I've only ever seen results from councils not constituencies. If you've got those they'd make interesting reading.

I took the Sheffiel vote as a whole. I hold my hands up and admit that Clegg probably did go with his voters. Not so much Smith though.

See we're all grown ups here. I can admit error although i'm not sure the name calling adds much to any debate.

Name calling? I agree with regards to Smith in a way but many MPs vote against the 'ideals' of their electorate regularly, the referendum just made it more obvious. Many MPs would vote to bring back fox hunting despite over 80% of the electorate wanting it remain banned...

We don't have direct democracy so we have to accept that often an MP will not vote the way we think they should. All we can do is vote them out at the first opportunity and I suggest you do that if you feel an MP hasn't reflected your views and wishes.

Up to 2010 over 50% of the UK public supported the death penalty which was abolished in 1965.

The vast majority of MPs of both parties opposed it.Correctly in my opinion.

As a fervent opposer of Brexit I hope that our MPs continue to use whatever influence and powers they have to minimise the problems that will arise from Cameron's reckless gamble.

Smith didn't. Her marginal seat of Penistone and Stocksbridge, "defied the official position of her party yesterday and the 61.3 per cent of her constituency who voted for Brexit."
Though I'm no fan of Labour, I have a newfound respect for Angela Smith.

She said publicly (at a business event I attended some weeks back) that she wouldn't support a Brexit vote in Parliament, and from your OP & post, after talking the talk for weeks, she's clearly walked the walk yesterday, and to hell with consequences at the next ballot box time.

Wish she was ours, instead of John Mann.

Have you got a link for that? I've only ever seen results from councils not constituencies. If you've got those they'd make interesting reading.

There is a constituency breakdown in this Telegraph article.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/08/revealed-89-brexit-rebel-mps-whether-constituents-voted-leave/

I would argue that MPs who voted for the referendum bill, but are now voting to overturn the result (you know the "we respect the result but ... " crowd), are in a highly dubious moral position.

Nick Clegg voted against the bill, so I suppose he is in a stronger position than some. Angela Smith for example voted for the referendum.

Edited by unbeliever

I do not generally agree with Clegg, but in this instance, he represented me, as a constituent who voted remain.

After yesterdays vote both Nick Clegg and Angela Smith voted against the brexit bill. In light of the fact that the area they represent voted in favour during the referendum, can they still maintain that they represent the people.

Should they be asked to resign and have a by election on the basis that they have no mandate to vote the way they did from the electorate in their constiuencies?

I understand the whole "they don't have to if they believe it to be wrong", but have they overstepped their mandate?

What Brexit bill is this? there isnt one as far as I know?

You mean yesterdays vote?

Yes they can still say to represent the people because they were voted in for the length of the parliament. You or the electorate can vote them out at the next general election.

No they shouldnt be asked to resign, your suggestion is dumb as you fail to appreciate what yesterdays vote was about nor the difference between the aithority of a referendum and that given to an elected MP.

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 17:44 ----------

Hang on a min. You are slagging off Clegg for FOLLOWING 63% of his constituents by voting to block Brexit, and at the same time slagging off Smith for voting against 61% of hers. Which is it?

Yes it is a Sheffield forum special......

Yes they can still say to represent the people because they were voted in for the length of the parliament. You or the electorate can vote them out at the next general election.

We should just ignore all the Brexit nonsense, let them get on with it; vote for a party that represents your views pertaining to the UK and Westminster.

After yesterdays vote both Nick Clegg and Angela Smith voted against the brexit bill. In light of the fact that the area they represent voted in favour during the referendum, can they still maintain that they represent the people.

Our MP's "represent" their constituents but in a lot of cases they are not at all representative of them. We can only vote for who the party puts up. If they keep on shipping people up from Islington to be candidates up here that state of affairs will only continue.

Smith didn't. Her marginal seat of Penistone and Stocksbridge, "defied the official position of her party yesterday and the 61.3 per cent of her constituency who voted for Brexit."

Clegg doesn't suprise me. I'm not a fan despite him being my MP. Smith on the other hand clearly went against her constituence. it wasn't even close in her borough, she ignored 61% of her voters.

I have this evening penned a letter to her. Not a nasty letter in any way, but simply asking what she was thinking by voting against the electorate's wishes.

As stated in one of the posts here, voting her out is an option at the next General Election. Unless her act is forgotten by then.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 19:49 ----------

Christ, some Brexiters act like it was 99% to leave. It was very close, stop witch hunting everyone that disagreed.

No matter if the vote was won by 99% or by a single vote, it's called democracy. The will of the people is to BREXIT. Get over it, the Remoaners lost.

Angel1.