Top 3 pubs in Sheffield

Top 3-wise, me `n` me mate decided this year we liked Beer Engine best, great place with strong mix of quality cask and keg, mostly british but with the occasional special from further afield. Second was Shakespeares and third we`re split on!

Top 3-wise, me `n` me mate decided this year we liked Beer Engine best, great place with strong mix of quality cask and keg, mostly british but with the occasional special from further afield. Second was Shakespeares and third we`re split on!

I still can't quite get into the Beer Engine sadly. Good beer. Nice people. But the place is just a little uncomfortable for me. Too bright. Too clinical. Like the Shakespeare in many ways I don't mind it for one or two, but can't spend much longer in there.

Nice to see Thornbridge having a go at something different with their tap takeover festival at the end of January. Now if I can only work out how to get from Greystones to Hallamshire I'll be happy. I do like those pubs.

Of course if SpiderPete has anything to do with it, we'll be walking! :(

I would say Sheffield is still the Real Ale Capital, or certainly in the top three

Where we've fallen behind is on the craft beer front, for a number of reasons. The planned Boardwalk reopening would have been a big step in the right direction, hopefully other similar venues are not too far in the future...

I would say that the big thing Sheffield lacks is not generic "craft" beer bars but places like Bundobust that are just as big on food.

---------- Post added 20-12-2016 at 21:18 ----------

For me Its

Sheaf

KIT

Fat Cat.

Back in Sheffield over Christmas so some new ones to try.

My top 3 would probably be Shakespeare's, 3 Tuns and Sheaf View. Other contenders include the Beer Engine and Walkley Beer Co.

Would agree with the comments regarding Beer Engine. There are some nice shaped pub rooms but it's like all the potential pub character has been whitewashed. The décor is a little too bland and the beer a little too dear. I still rate it highly though.

My top 3 would be)

1) Fagans - partly sentimental but it is the quintessential family-run pub. Warm welcome, simple fresh food, total lack of the generic and the mass produced. Great homely atmosphere when the music is on and is just as pleasant whether it's quiet going on dead or bustling busy.

2) Red Deer - always amazing atmosphere, friendly staff and locals. Cosy seats, plenty to do. A younger crowd but still feels like Sheffield

3) Fat Cat - you can't really look past it can you? Immune to gentrification and happy in its own shoes. Great value and some really nice rooms. The kind of pub every town needs but sadly many towns are missing.

--

Close runs:

4) Cobden View - a true neighbourhood pub with loads of amenities and events and local characters

5) Shakespeares - I laughed when I read someone above describe it as a 'hole', but it just shows it takes all sorts. It's a traditional characterful tavern with a great choice of beers both simple and fancy at fair prices. Down to earth, carefully rickety and old, and like a lot of great pubs has cosy bits and spacious bits.

6) Bath Hotel - I don't like Thornbridge for its political associations or the position of the dartboard, but this has always been a great place and it retains a lot of its historic character. They don't make them like this anymore.

7) White Lion - One of the most atmospheric pubs in the city. Snugs, partitions, lots of events, amazing preserved interior. What's not to love?

8 ) Sheaf View - Great pub, the instant feel that those involved love and appreciate pubgoing. A great balance, being traditional and simple without pretending it's Beamish (like a lot of Sam Smiths pubs do)

9) The Blake - simplicity defined

10) The Harlequin - they could improve the bar area which lacks a bit of structure and character but the food and drink is fantastic and it has an atmosphere you can't bottle, much as you'd wish to.

11) Rutland Arms - wish this pub could be bigger as its a hike to anywhere else if you can't get a seat, but nevertheless it drums up a hell of an atmosphere

12) The Three Tuns - it does have an interesting shape outside but it is a bit pokey inside, and not in the characterful way you'd think. Nevertheless I find it a peaceful boozer during the day and quite an atmospheric one at night.

We review our faves annually. 2017 ones are on our blog fwiw!

It occurred to me that 4 of my favourite pubs in Sheffield are all on or near the 86 bus route.

Starting at the Broadfield you also get the Beer Engine, a short walk to the Rutland, and the Shakespeare. Add in Hop Hideout and Bar Stewards and you have a legitimate pub crawl for those that are less able to crawl for whatever reason. I know this cos my mate has done his knee in and couldn't walk far, so researched the easiest way to get between some decent pubs.

Anyone else ever planned out such a trip?

Guest makapaka
It occurred to me that 4 of my favourite pubs in Sheffield are all on or near the 86 bus route.

Starting at the Broadfield you also get the Beer Engine, a short walk to the Rutland, and the Shakespeare. Add in Hop Hideout and Bar Stewards and you have a legitimate pub crawl for those that are less able to crawl for whatever reason. I know this cos my mate has done his knee in and couldn't walk far, so researched the easiest way to get between some decent pubs.

Anyone else ever planned out such a trip?

95 bus route will give you closed shop, hallamshire, springvale, palm tree, florist and walkley cottage. Also Blake and soon the blind monkey not far away.

As for my top 3;

Fagans

Grapes

Sportsman redmires

95 bus route will give you closed shop, hallamshire, springvale, palm tree, florist and walkley cottage. Also Blake and soon the blind monkey not far away.

As for my top 3;

Fagans

Grapes

Sportsman redmires

Hmmm cheers. I haven't been to many of those so that is definitely worth noting.

For every pub in Sheffield there are two similar, but better, in Leeds.

Haha.. just :hihi: no...

Long term Leeds resident and former long term Sheffield resident here, and that's way, way off the mark.

Leeds certainly has a better range of bars but we're doing badly for traditional pubs in comparison to Sheffield. Let's see:

Whitelocks 5*

The Adelphi 4*

The Grove 5*

The Angel 5*

The Templar 4*

The Garden Gate 4*

The Chemic 5*

The Red Lion 4*

The Eagle Tavern (even then not even that great) 3*

The Fenton - student pub 4*

The Pack Horse - student pub 4*

...The Cross Keys...possibly 4*

Nearly all the rest on offer are generic 3* pubs, or worse.

I already named 12 5* quality traditional pubs in Sheffield above.

Agree. Lots of great pubs and many with tidy beer. In addition, I reckon we`re lucky with the local chains we have - True North, Thornbridge and O`Hara`s produce some quality places to sup. :)

What are your favourites and why?

Just about sorted our Top10 for 2016, and it`s a little different to CAMRA`s....

I like a pub with a view and some good nibbles on the menu so for me it's

Old Horns

Rivelin

Admiral Rodney