Top 3 pubs in Sheffield

Think you need to have a better look ^.

YES! ^

It is definitely doing it's job, my mate last week said "I have never heard this in a pub before and never thought I would." Can't recall the song as it was somewhat obscure to say the least.

I don't need a better look mate. I've lived in and around Sheffield for many years and know virtually every good beer bar in town - Ask Andy C or SpiderPete if you don't believe me. The problem is Sheffield still likes to think of itself as a 'beer capital'. It's not. Would you think Derby was? Or Norwich? Yet the people in those places have the same opinion. It's all a delusion.

Fortunately I've also moved about a bit and know what places with really good pubs look like. Maybe if people in Sheffield got off their backsides and went to have a look too, things would improve here.

I don't need a better look mate. I've lived in and around Sheffield for many years and know virtually every good beer bar in town - Ask Andy C or SpiderPete if you don't believe me. The problem is Sheffield still likes to think of itself as a 'beer capital'. It's not. Would you think Derby was? Or Norwich? Yet the people in those places have the same opinion. It's all a delusion.

Fortunately I've also moved about a bit and know what places with really good pubs look like. Maybe if people in Sheffield got off their backsides and went to have a look too, things would improve here.

It seems Sheffielders are generally a more content bunch than you then. I do find it weird that people go on and on about other cities but I'm yet to find a UK city (apart from London) that is any better than Sheffield for pubs. It isn't about beer or ale or whatever name you like as I can't drink any of it. It's about pubs and more importantly people and I think we have a decent choice of those.

I would say Sheffield is still the Real Ale Capital, or certainly in the top three

Where we've fallen behind is on the craft beer front, for a number of reasons. The planned Boardwalk reopening would have been a big step in the right direction, hopefully other similar venues are not too far in the future...

Guest makapaka

Do you think you're the only person that's ever been anywhere? Goodness me - the arrogance to assume you are more qualified to judge then the remaining population of the city.

Maybe you could regale us all with the stories of your travels whilst we all gaze in wonder upon finding out that the earth isn't actually flat.

I'm from Manchester, great place for pubs.

I've drank in many cities, including Brum, London, Liverpool, Leeds and many more, but..

Sheffield knocks 'em dead.

All in all better for beer, live music pubs and friendliness.

Best pubs? that's a matter of opinion, but I like

Fagans

Grapes

Old queens head (in no particular order)

It seems Sheffielders are generally a more content bunch than you then. I do find it weird that people go on and on about other cities but I'm yet to find a UK city (apart from London) that is any better than Sheffield for pubs. It isn't about beer or ale or whatever name you like as I can't drink any of it. It's about pubs and more importantly people and I think we have a decent choice of those.

I'd go with Sheffielders being more insular and not very ambitious if I'm honest. There is a reason why some of the high end chains (bars and clubs) don't come anywhere near the place. And those that do make a half-hearted attempt. Look at Brewdog. Tap takeover this weekend is 'Sheffield Breweries'. You know, those you can get by walking down the road... Why, because I suspect they have discovered that's what Sheffield people want. In Sheffield it's pretty much only the Shakespeare that attempts anything really new. Tho nice to see the Beer Engine giving Omnipollo a try. Lets see if they repeat it.

---------- Post added 13-12-2016 at 08:16 ----------

Do you think you're the only person that's ever been anywhere? Goodness me - the arrogance to assume you are more qualified to judge then the remaining population of the city.

Maybe you could regale us all with the stories of your travels whilst we all gaze in wonder upon finding out that the earth isn't actually flat.

You don't have to travel far. For every pub in Sheffield there are two similar, but better, in Leeds. Same in Newcastle. Same in Bristol... Manchester is up and coming. So is Liverpool. With about a dozen great new bars open in each in the last year or so. Sheffield tried it's best and failed. Because the people in it don't like change. Plain and simple.

I'm from Manchester, great place for pubs.

I've drank in many cities, including Brum, London, Liverpool, Leeds and many more, but..

Sheffield knocks 'em dead.

All in all better for beer, live music pubs and friendliness.

Best pubs? that's a matter of opinion, but I like

Fagans

Grapes

Old queens head (in no particular order)

All great pubs with a nice atmosphere. I think Queen`s Head is the oldest in Sheffield? Not been to Grapes for a bit. Nice pub.

All great pubs with a nice atmosphere. I think Queen`s Head is the oldest in Sheffield? Not been to Grapes for a bit. Nice pub.

I believe the old queens head is one of the oldest buildings but not the oldest pub that award goes to The nail makers which has been a licenced premises longest. Its up near Norton water tower (forget the actual name of the area)

my mate last week said "I have never heard this in a pub before and never thought I would."

Brilliant, that's exactly the feedback I wanted! :)

Sheaf View was a one time fav, then the White Lion, but several changes in management and an awful experience on one occasion, left 15 of us walking out..it was a regular pre match meeting point for exiled Blades around the uk. they always knew they could attend and bump in to fellow exiles.

We understand the White Lion has turned the corner, and on the up again, but people move on, find other pubs....

its a special pub, great beers, a traditional ale house, one very much missed.

Its a special pub, great beers, a traditional ale house, one very much missed.

Then we hope to see you again soon, football fans always welcome here.