Top 3 pubs in Sheffield

Queens Head pond Street by a country mile.

Tap and tankard

Orchard square / museum

Ha, shows how much attention I pay... I only noticed it in the first place cos I was in one Sunday, when apparently said jukebox was free. Not been on a Sunday since so not looked for the jukebox!

We replaced it with a playlist based on 'music you don't normally hear in pubs'. You'll have to bob in and give us your opinion on it :)

We replaced it with a playlist based on 'music you don't normally hear in pubs'. You'll have to bob in and give us your opinion on it :)

Music you do is great imho. And varied enough not to 'intimidate' people.

Merry Monk,Manor Park.Decent catering with crisps and nuts within their "best before" dates.

The Forty Foot, Parson Cross. Good facilities including hot water in one toilet.

Hen and Chickens, Castle Green. Your one stop shop for anything out of Wilkinsons.

love this but i think you have missed The BayHorse Pitsmoor for the more discerning customers.

Grapes, Trippett Lane

Queens head, Pond Street,

One at Walkley that I can't think of the name of at moment. Opposite the Closed Shop.

One at Walkley that I can't think of the name of at moment. Opposite the Closed Shop.

That would be the Hallamshire House.

I will, but I may wait until next month when the population reverts to 'People Who Know How To Go To The Pub' ;)

I will, but I may wait until next month when the population reverts to 'People Who Know How To Go To The Pub' ;)

Ha I love this quote and its probably the most polite way of describing seasonal drinkers who have a sniff at the barmaids apron an try to fight the entire pub while adorned in festive clothing. Or the ones that order each drink individually and at the end remembers the pint of Guinness :rant:

As for the topic at hand I think id struggle to narrow it down to 3 favourite pubs because I'm greedy and want to have a bigger list. my list in no particular order

1) Tap and Tankard.

2) White Lion

3) Brothers Arms

Couldn't agree more. Saturday at 7pm in the Dev Cat was too horrible to behold. Walked in and walked out again. I'm sure they are loving it right now - making a fortune off the lager swilling, cocktail drinking crowd. But come January, when they are empty, best hope the beer drinkers return...

The beer drinkers will return, but January is always a quiet month... which is why the charity 'dryanuary' thing is just adding insult to injury, given how much money is raised for charity by pubs each year...

Ha! You're not kidding!

Shakespeare - for beer yes. It's still a hole tho.

Dev Cat - I'm still divided on the refurb, but again it's good for beer.

And...err... I honestly don't know. Broadfield maybe? Sad to say but I really don't think Sheffield has that many great beer places. Unlike Newcastle, say, which has loads. And Bristol. And Leeds...

Interestingly I read a Twitter article yesterday which listed the top 5 beer houses in Sheffield as....

Sheffield Tap

Head of Steam

Dev Cat

Sentinel BrewHouse

And…err… Beer Central! Which, of course, is not a ‘beer house’ at all. And rather neatly illustrates my point about the lack of quality establishments in Sheffield.

https://frommarsweb.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/sheffields-best-beer-houses/

For balance, another article published earlier in the year has a bit of a different view:

Kelham Island Tavern

Three Tuns

Cricket Inn

Fat Cat

Devonshire Cat

http://www.canningtechnologies.co.uk/2016/08/08/top-5-pubs-in-sheffield/

Which just goes to show, you can’t please all the people all the time. Well, unless you’re the Dev Cat apparently!

Think you need to have a better look ^.

No it's not short sightedness - it's boring to hearing people constantly running the place down.

There are plenty of really good pubs in Sheffield - the fact that you can only find 2 that are up to your standard strikes me more as your problem rather than sheffields to be honest.

YES! ^

It is definitely doing it's job, my mate last week said "I have never heard this in a pub before and never thought I would." Can't recall the song as it was somewhat obscure to say the least.