Top 3 pubs in Sheffield

What are your favourites and why?

Just about sorted our Top10 for 2016, and it`s a little different to CAMRA`s....

I can imagine! At least our branch isn't as way off as Brum, to pick a random example ;-), but they do seem wedded to certain pubs

For me, lately it would be

Shakespeare - good beer, good prices, good staff, good laughs

Dev Cat - really upped their game beer wise since Liz took over, and while the refurb has divided opinion I really like it

Beer Engine - good friendly pub, a 'local' despite being practically on London road, and gets some excellent beers in. Especially good since they put extra keg lines in

Edited by SteelCityAle

Merry Monk,Manor Park.Decent catering with crisps and nuts within their "best before" dates.

The Forty Foot, Parson Cross. Good facilities including hot water in one toilet.

Hen and Chickens, Castle Green. Your one stop shop for anything out of Wilkinsons.

What are your favourites and why?

Just about sorted our Top10 for 2016, and it`s a little different to CAMRA`s....

Well my Top10 were completely different to CAMRA, which is a good thing, their Top2 didn't make my Top10.

1. Dev Cat - this was BEFORE the re-furb, I am still not liking the new look, the bar isn't what I expected and the ale pumps scattered is my worst nightmare, I am back in again tonight. They did a great job this year but the re-furb - have they turned it into a cocktail bar now ?? Wont be my No1 in 2017

2. Shakespeare - nothing ever changes in here, same seats, barrels, tables, which I like, ales are just great as always and I am sure its up there in 2017.

3. Sheffield Tap - just a great pub.

I cannot think what your No1 will be but I bet the Top10 includes Beer Engine, White Lion, Bath Hotel.

I can imagine! At least our branch isn't as way off as Brum, to pick a random example ;-), but they do seem wedded to certain pubs

For me, lately it would be

Shakespeare - good beer, good prices, good staff, good laughs

Dev Cat - really upped their game beer wise since Liz took over, and while the refurb has divided opinion I really like it

Beer Engine - good friendly pub, a 'local' despite being practically on London road, and gets some excellent beers in. Especially good since they put extra keg lines in

Shakespeare - for beer yes. It's still a hole tho.

Dev Cat - I'm still divided on the refurb, but again it's good for beer.

And...err... I honestly don't know. Broadfield maybe? Sad to say but I really don't think Sheffield has that many great beer places. Unlike Newcastle, say, which has loads. And Bristol. And Leeds...

Interestingly I read a Twitter article yesterday which listed the top 5 beer houses in Sheffield as....

Sheffield Tap

Head of Steam

Dev Cat

Sentinel BrewHouse

And…err… Beer Central! Which, of course, is not a ‘beer house’ at all. And rather neatly illustrates my point about the lack of quality establishments in Sheffield.

https://frommarsweb.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/sheffields-best-beer-houses/

For balance, another article published earlier in the year has a bit of a different view:

Kelham Island Tavern

Three Tuns

Cricket Inn

Fat Cat

Devonshire Cat

http://www.canningtechnologies.co.uk/2016/08/08/top-5-pubs-in-sheffield/

Which just goes to show, you can’t please all the people all the time. Well, unless you’re the Dev Cat apparently!

Sad to say but I really don't think Sheffield has that many great beer places. Unlike Newcastle, say, which has loads. And Bristol. And Leeds...

I wondered how many posts before this type of thing..... :rolleyes:

I wondered how many posts before this type of thing..... :rolleyes:

That's cos it's true mate. Just because many people can't see further than the end of their street, in typical Sheffield fashion, doesn't mean that those of us that have had the ability to travel the length and breadth of the country and seen MUCH better places are wrong now, does it? :huh:

It's all subjective but it appears that some peeps thinks this Forum is just there to diss certain things like CAMRA. Just to remind people that were it not for CAMRA over the past 4o years you wouldn't have the opportunity to drink what I consider is overprice fizzy pish called craft keg ( I am being very subjective). I would still, in my opinion) think you would find it hard to beat the following boozers The Kelham Island tavern, The Hillsborough Hotel, Shakespeares, The (Bottom) Wellington, Fagans. But as I have said it's all subjective and personsl

My top two were easy, I could easily do a top ten, narrowing it down to a top three was a bit more difficult. A putative top ten would include the Tap, Bath, Hallamshire, maybe Sentinel (I really can't decide if I like it or not!), Greystones, Sheaf, Cask & Welly...

My top two were easy, I could easily do a top ten, narrowing it down to a top three was a bit more difficult. A putative top ten would include the Tap, Bath, Hallamshire, maybe Sentinel (I really can't decide if I like it or not!), Greystones, Sheaf, Cask & Welly...

Actually I may agree with you on the Greystones... It's just way too far out for me to visit regularly enough. I suspect that if I was local I would be in there regularly. I could say that for most Thornbridge pubs tbh. But the Greystones has the added attraction of live music.

<cue gasps of horror from CAMRA members...>

Actually I may agree with you on the Greystones... It's just way too far out for me to visit regularly enough. I suspect that if I was local I would be in there regularly. I could say that for most Thornbridge pubs tbh. But the Greystones has the added attraction of live music.

<cue gasps of horror from CAMRA members...>

same here, too far out of the way such that I've only been a handful of times, but I do rate it highly. I'll leave the music with you though... sadly, other than when someone puts something decent on the Rutland or White Lion jukebox, beer quality and music quality (IMO of course) are inversely proportional!

That's cos it's true mate. Just because many people can't see further than the end of their street, in typical Sheffield fashion, doesn't mean that those of us that have had the ability to travel the length and breadth of the country and seen MUCH better places are wrong now, does it? :huh:

I`m well travelled. However, I asked for `Top 3 pubs in Sheffield` and you`ve responded writing that you cannot think of 3.