Getting to the Peak District with a dog

Hi I have a boarder terrier who loves to be out and about. The trouble is we have walked everywhere in Sheffield and as beautiful as it is we need somewhere new. So I thought the Peak District is close but was wondering how easy it is to go there on public transport and will it be okay to take a dog?

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Usually you can take dogs on the bus. Some drivers vcharge a half price fare, osme don't. My daughter has often taken her different dogs on the bus, she always makes sure which ever one she has sits on her lap, as not everyone wants to sit on the seat where as dog has been.

252 bus goes to Marsh Lane/Eckington area. 60p for dog

65 goes to Buxton via Millers Dale.

218 goes to Bakewell/Chatsworth. Both are 60p for dog

Northern trains runs (up to once an hour) a service along the Hope Valley - so Grindleford, Bamford, Hope, Hathersage and Edale - so long as they're on a lead, dogs can travel on the train (and there's no charge). Return tickets can also be used on the 272 bus if that's more convenient (and vice-versa) - although I'm not sure if you'd be charged for the dog.

You'll also find that many of the pubs are also dog-friendly. We recently did a walk / pub crawl from Edale to Castleton to Hope and only encountered one pub where dogs weren't allowed inside.

The 61/62 will take you from Hillsborough out to Dungworth & Bradfield both of which are in The Peak District. There are several good walks in the area and you can get free maps from the Bradfield Parish Council offices in Low Bradfield or from Stannington Library.

Thank you all very much for your answers it has been very helpful.

My dog and I look forward to many more long walk and journeys together.