How far will the rise of nationalistic populism go ?

Those " charismatic" leaders just say what people wanna hear, its called manipulation and its one of oldest trick in the book.

It's all about dividing the population too.

Farage has categorised leave voters as decent normal people. The inference is that the remain voters are somehow not decent and not normal.

It goes further still. People, judges etc... who oppose Brexit or even accept it while rejecting extreme forms of it are now described as enemies of the people, or 'immoral'. It has opened up the judges, for example, for attacks on their sexual preferences and questions about their personal wealth with inferences it is somehow ill-gotten.

This goes beyond populism, these are hallmarks of an anti-democratic totalitarian approach.

A lot was said about sovereignty during the referendum campaign. People made the assumption that meant returning sovereign power to parliament but we've seen since how happy swathes of leave voters are to allow that concept to be subverted, how happy they are for that sovereign power to be exercised by a small executive clique without reference to parliament.

Recently we have seen glimpses of how leading advocates of Brexit would revise regulation and worker protection in this country with Rees-Mogg arguing that we could strip back regulation and control to levels they have in India. This would be utterly catastrophic for the UK population. It would create a massive army of workers with few rights, low pay and no power. It would make people very easy to control.

So people ask how far this has to go? A long long way is the answer. Yet people who are supporting all this, driven by hate-mongering right wing media, bcan't see what is going on. They don't realise what is coming down the line.

And we shouldn't forget of course that the right wing media driving all this haven't been shy about being supporters of and apologists for totalitarian regime in the past.

like the mosley facists, it will only be stopped by stoping them in the streets.

You might well be right, the only thing is it would have to be white against white or we will have the race war that the Infamous Satanists, ISIS/Daesh want.

You might well be right, the only thing is it would have to be white against white or we will have the race war that the Infamous Satanists, ISIS/Daesh want.

If complete tools like Farage insist on standing in front of racist posters then we edge ever closer.

Those " charismatic" leaders just say what people wanna hear, its called manipulation and its one of oldest trick in the book.

Is that what Merkel did this last week when saying she wants a ban on full face veils?

A bit of an about face, long overdue in my opinion. The ban is only the same as the motorcycle helmet rule. I would not expect a teacher to wear a face veil or a medical practitioner or anyone else for that matter unless there was freezing weather or a dust storm. These things came about due to adverse environmental conditions. I cover my lower face if it is freezing, but uncover when I enter a shop or get on a public transport vehicle.

Some countries in Europe have started to ban this horrible full face veil. I suspect Merkel is talking about it because of the rise in nationalistic far right groups in Germany.

I can't see the UK banning it. They have not got the guts to do it. They would be to frightened of the Muslim council.

They would be to frightened of the Muslim council.

stop talking nonsense.

If British governments were happy to ignore the wishes of British Muslims and bomb Iraq, they're unlikely to be too scared of them to ban the face veil.

stop talking nonsense.

If British governments were happy to ignore the wishes of British Muslims and bomb Iraq, they're unlikely to be too scared of them to ban the face veil.

I still think the Government could not cope with the outcry if the full veil was banned. There would be protests all over. London would come to a stand still.

I still think the Government could not cope with the outcry if the full veil was banned. There would be protests all over. London would come to a stand still.

As a country we have been historically very tolerant. Why stop now?

As a country we have been historically very tolerant. Why stop now?

We are not stopping now.

The same rules should apply to everyone.

We don't tolerate motorcyclists walking into shops etc wearing a full face helmet, why tolerate a face veil?

These veils can hide a multitude of sins including facial bruising and burns. They hide identity and are unnecessary in a civilized society where weather and environmental conditions do not affect a persons ability to breath. We don't live in a desert where dust makes them useful.

Britain is a tolerant county. We don't question other religious beliefs to an extent, and we let them practice their religion, unlike ISIS, who don't allow women the smallest freedom and expect them to wear the full veil.

As someone pointed out you would not be allowed to go into a bank wearing a helmet. I watched a security guard ask someone to remove a ballycarver in Meadowhall and yet a woman, or for all we know could be a man, freely walk around wearing the full veil.

Give it the same status as someone who wears a crash helmet.

---------- Post added 10-12-2016 at 23:00 ----------

Britain is a tolerant county. We don't question other religious beliefs to an extent, and we let them practice their religion, unlike ISIS, who don't allow women the smallest freedom and expect them to wear the full veil.

As someone pointed out you would not be allowed to go into a bank wearing a helmet. I watched a security guard ask someone to remove a ballycarver in Meadowhall and yet a woman, or for all we know could be a man, freely walk around wearing the full veil.

Give it the same status as someone who wears a crash helmet.[/quote

Or a ballycarver at Meadowhall!

We are not stopping now.

The same rules should apply to everyone.

We don't tolerate motorcyclists walking into shops etc wearing a full face helmet, why tolerate a face veil?

These veils can hide a multitude of sins including facial bruising and burns. They hide identity and are unnecessary in a civilized society where weather and environmental conditions do not affect a persons ability to breath. We don't live in a desert where dust makes them useful.

There's got to be better reasons for banning them than that?